Reasons for Power Reduction on Wood/Chargas?

Bob, I may have said that, but for my part I think it has more to do with the daily short 10 mile trips I’m doing. 10 miles is just when things are getting properly heated up. Air preheat and everything.

I’m guessing here but I think you’re refering to when Max was talking about WW2 non-condensing hoppers. Less steam to deal with in the end of a burn.
However that is probably true even with a condencing hopper. I’ve found wood is consumed faster than it dries on longer trips. I sometimes catch almost twice the amount of juice idling around or with a lot of stops and starts. Chunks need residence time to steam off properly.

6 Likes

im running an imbert on my VW 1600 DP and all i ever really do is 5 mile trips and occationaly i go like 15 i have a condecing hopper it use to be big and i used to use oak a lot but i found buy the time i used up one hopper the blocks are all black from absorbing the moisture from being in there to long so what i did is i made my hopper small i get about 20-25 miles per hopper but i also have been running western red cedar it burnns REALLY clean but fast but i also think thats good b/c the blocks arent in the hopper long enof to get fouled up
i think you have to make your sys and block and type of wood for what you are going to do so im going to try to do a 50 mile trip im going to bring a mix of cedar and oak and if that isnt enof i have some fir i can throw in ill keep you posted =)

4 Likes

Thanks JO, it probably was Max that made the statement. You are so right about short trips.
I am ten minutes from town. I always start my truck up first on petrol. Then light up my gasifier and get it going. It is all up hill leaving my place. Usually I can drive 100% on wood gas leaving my place but I have to get the gasifier warmed up to do it. And that takes time.
That long flat gravel driveway with bumps in it that Wayne has is pretty nice for starting up a gasifier. It seem to be about a 5 minute drive to the main road.
Bob

5 Likes