Request for suppliers of small engines with electric generator or with water lift pump

Thank you for your thoughts and helpful observations. Lots of waste involved in typical charcoal production and use. Thanks for reminding about the moisture issue. Torrefied wood is an attractive fuel. Charcoal made from wood pellets and charcoal briquettes are also interesting.

3 Likes

Yeah TomC a nice shortened GM V-6 story.
Design-wise: whether the designer goes with a 15 degrees between the banks;45 degrees; 60 degree; or 90 degrees they can have uneven firing input impulses degrees simple common rod journals AND uneven mechanical balance; OR even firing impulses with split rod journals and still have uneven mechanical balances both of these tamed with soft exotic vibration dampening motor mounts. Fords hydro-elastic mounts.
OR, as most production V-6’s do use 60 degrees and compromise the firing impulses and the mechanical balances with more robust/common motor mounts. Chrysler/Dodge. OR, use 90 degrees split crank journals AND add inside the engine a counter rotating weighted balance shaft as most of the GM Buick V-6’s became.
Honestly V-6’s are chosen for fit between front drive wheels packaging. Lighter weight than an inline 6.

Back to F.P.'s request for a small currently available electrical generator/pumping engine for use in Africa.

then click onto “tiller”
As you can see very portable.
Yanmar themselves do not seem to directly supply this older engine types as a pump set. Or electrical generator set anymore. As electric welders, yes.
Yanmar seems to have very robust Indonesian, Thailand and Singapore dealership networks in these older plain and simple engines. Australia? Still? Maybe? Bootlegged in?

For us in the US/Canada and the EU from Yanmar we now can only get their more modern mush higher speed, much higher compression, 3000-3600 rpm designs (poor gasifier conversion candidates) carried into the now mandated higher levels of exhaust restrictions requirements.

The Chinese clone copies get worldwide distributed anyplace they can be shipped (legally) into.
I will bet these are already there where your African users reside.
The Chinese engine model numbering system is such:
Letter/Letter/one digit/2nd digit/3rd digit/4th digit - with maybe a suffix letter or two.
The first letter means air-cooled, or water-cooled; with hopper/evaporation water cooled or radiator/condenser cooling.
The digits are first the number of cylinders; then the cylinder bore diameter in MM. Examples: xx170, xx180, xx186, xx195, xx1115 = one cylinder, 70mm, 80mm, 86mm (mine!), 195mm, 115mm.
The suffix letterers indicating electric starting capable and a battery recharging system, etc.
Overall the people using the Chinese clone engines of this type say they are happy with the quality. Unhappy as there is some NOT interchangeability of parts between the different Chinese factory/brand names in the same power/size ranges
External identification is if the manual cranking socket port is inline with the crankshaft the engine is the much internally simpler design WITHOUT the two internal counter balance shafts.
Hand cranking port to the rear of the crankshaft center line then it is actually onto the end of one of the two gear driven counter balnace shafts. Geared down 1/2 of engine rpm that makes for easier cranking on the larger displacement engines. Balance shafts add three gears, four bearings and more things to break/fail sooner or later. Some users report this at low use hours

Ha! Ha! Balance shaft failures problems killing the block: a Mitsubishi I-4 problem, especially on their turbo engines. Failure problem on one series of Kohler aircooled small engines too.

Big names can get bitten with over-enthusiasms designs too. Fire the designer AND the marketing director too.
Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes

TomC the majority of the current production Mercedes/Dodge delivery vans now are turocharged V-6 diesels.

S.U.

3 Likes

after thinking, this engine will suit me well to make it work with wood gas, after several difficult research to find an importer on France, I am open to any sujection.

Easy to make cogeneration with this type of engine.

3 Likes

Yes the difficulty is getting a now non-allowed engine like this into a 1st world regulated country to be able to work-use develop for actual use out in to a 3rd world country.

Every country will be different. But all countries have grey-market possibilities. “Grey-market” sourced and you are limited to hush-mouthed developing.

Any possibly of Religious, or Humanitarian, “one-use” exceptions to your for-out-of-country-use developing while in France? Then you could publish out openly.
Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

So, you are back to using antique engines for legal development. I’m thinking, just use Honda clones which seem to be available everywhere, and in different sizes, and are already spark ignition. I would imagine a third-world farmer would use any engine they could find, the more common, the less tempted to be stolen.
:relaxed: Donc, vous êtes de retour à utiliser des moteurs anciens pour le développement juridique. Je pense, il suffit d’utiliser des clones Honda qui semblent être disponibles partout, et dans différentes tailles, et sont déjà à allumage par étincelle. J’imagine qu’un agriculteur du tiers monde utiliserait n’importe quel moteur, plus il serait courant de le voler

1 Like

Francois,
Whenever I see that style engine, I think of these guys…
Chaque fois que je vois ce moteur de style, je pense à ces gars-là.

3 Likes

Hmmm! Can you drive the chasis with the generator motor also? Now THAT would be convenient to move around. TomC

This is an edit, found another video to replace the above disappeared one.

6 Likes

If it has a motor on it they will figure a way to race it. TomC

4 Likes