Safety considerations

Thanks Jan That really helps a lot.

3 Likes

Good morning Tim.

I think the term banking the fire would be shutting down the system so oxygen cannot get to the fire and burn it out. I think this will depend on how tight the system is sealed and the ability to shut it down.

When I am using hard wood fuel I expect to restart without relighting for 5-6 hours . ( if the gasifier was up to normal temps ) This start is from the motor drafting the gasifier.

The furthest I drive without dumping the ash is about 700 miles ( driving from Argos Indiana home each year ) .

Short trips and several startups about half that distance or less .

7 Likes

Hey Time .

This is starting back up without using the blowers but using just a little gasoline

6 Likes

“When I am using hard wood fuel I expect to restart without relighting for 5-6 hours . ( if the gasifier was up to normal temps ) This start is from the motor drafting the gasifier.”

Thanks Wayne. That is quite surprising. I didn’t expect that. I know that I am going to have to learn from my own experiences and the woods that grow in my country. But I can at least get a ball park idea from the experiences of others to start with. I just automatically assumed that I would have to restart the whole startup process from scratch every time I stopped.

Am I correct in assuming that every time you stop you must close the gas line valve to the engine?
Have you used wood gas in 4 wheel drive situations? Is it viable for off road?

Hello Tim .

I hardly ever close my wood gas valves but do close my air mix . In a way that is shutting down any air flow because the air can’t go out or in the air breather / mixing pot .

6 Likes

Thanks Wayne. That is some impressive towing. That’s about all I need for what I have in mind. anything above that is bonus. Love the sound of that engine

4 Likes

Tim

I would consider my dodge Dakotas useless for off road operation .

Will let you make up your on mind on the work truck :blush:

No gasoline involved

4 Likes

I am not familiar with your vehicle brands Wayne. I am assuming the one towing the tractor was the Dakota?
That V 10 is impressive. That trailer and hay was what -2.5 tonnes?
Are the 4x4 and if so was the towing high range or low range?

1 Like

He was using the Dodge Ram 2500 V10 for towing the tractor. His Dakota is a little Ute to put it in Aussie terms, I don’t know if people in SA use that term.

The Dakota is about the same size as the old Toyota Hilux but with a 5.2L V8.

2 Likes

Thanks Cody. We call them a Bakkie pronounced Bucky. It’s a Afrikaner term and was derived from what they call a bak. Also a dutch term for a large enclosed area that carries stuff.

3 Likes

Tim

I like to think of the dodge dakota as a car with pickup bed and a big :blush: motor. Not a work truck

5 Likes

LMAO but you Americans like your big trucks. We have a few RAMS driving around in my town. My disco 1 is like a hotwheel in comparison

6 Likes

Hey Tim

Some of both while in the fields

The truck weighs 7-8000 pounds Hay near 1000 pounds per roll , six rolls . 40 foot trailer not sure of its weight . .

4 Likes

The gasifier l had in my Mercedes wuld hold fire for a whole 8 hour shift about 50% of times. It was a trunk gasifier so it was insulated real good.

8 Likes

CO detectors you can carry in your pocket.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gas+leak+detector+natural+gas&hvadid=322247073497&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1019250&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=2042957519632282270&hvtargid=kwd-422939503162&hydadcr=22223_9983867&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_8th9v7scpa_b

7 Likes