Saman's gasifier project

The 3 air jets that Kristjan suggested can be connected together outside the fire tube and then brought up to the top plate to allow the fresh air to be heated on it’s way down to where they enter the fire tube. Just make sure everything is sealed up well so the air and gas don’t mix.

It is not a good idea to be running that indoors. You are making CO which can be deadly for everyone in there.

1 Like

Hello ray
Thank you for your help
I test all kind of the flambeau but it doesn’t ignit
in my opinion my problem are fan speed,oxygen,or pellets
Ten percent of the pellets weight i mixed stucco with Sawdust,because only stucco doesn’t Pressed :neutral_face:

No i was in my friend’s workshop.there were ex fan
Thanks for the reminder

1 Like

I have made this gasifier at my beginings in wood gasification, its similar to yours, identical actualy, the only difference is there is no firetube houseing and there is a nozzle inside. No restriction. You can see the gas is wery much flamable. imagine this gasifier is your firetube.
Based on the colour of your smoke your fire zone is way to low in the firetube. It shuld be somewhere in the middle of the firetube, yours must be wery low. I dubt wood is the problem.
Allso, you light at the bottom right? This means the gasifier takes a long run time to “draw” the fire up, at wich point the burnt gases can pass the glowing charcoal bed, where the magic actualy happens.

1 Like

Thank you so much
But i didn’t understand last case(you need to insert a steel ring in the firetube, outside diameter 10cm (firetube radius), iner diameter about 5 cm.) :frowning_face:

yes i light the pellets exactly at the bottom of the fire tube(i light pellets Inside the basket Through the ignite pipe)

The modifications on top drawing will make flamable gas! If you insert the ring (called restriction) like seen here, your gas will allso contain much less tar! https://goo.gl/images/c6inSd

Restriction concentrates the produced temperature/gas velocity, wich in term destroy/crack/burn tar and aids to stronger, cleaner gas. Can be done eithout it thugh!

2 Likes

Thank you so much :pray:
I understood
i will repair it tomorrow
Can I use wood in this system?
Because I’m not sure about the quality of the pellet because my pellets has 10% of the stucco for pressing process

Hello mr tom collins
We research about Combustion gases in gasifier process,it is not necessary to Launching the engine.we just want to compress gas in cylinder

Yes, but the wood shuld be about cherry size, no bigger. Chips you show in the filter are too long and narrow and will not flow/fall well inside.
Idealy you want at least 2 opposite air nozzles, so that the air streems meet in the center, but start with one, you will get fire for sure!
Do not forget to fill the hearth with fine charcoal at first run! This is esential! Once you have it in, you never need to ad it again.

2 Likes

If I understand your machine, I had one similar. It liked pellets and chips also worked as long as they were small. It would start fast.

Fill 1/3 to 1/2 with charcoal.

Start proper air draft

Light the top of the charcoal. All top diameter red glowing.

Place thin layer of pellets on top.

After 30 seconds to 1 minute the flat will light with proper burner.

Later I will see if I can find pictures.

You will graduate ! ! After all, we all have made it.

4 Likes

Tnank you so much :pray:

Hello steve
I will certainly try your suggestions in the next few days
I hope to be successful
Thank you so much

Hi Saman , at about 36 seconds into the video you show us your condensate jar , and also a drip of what looks to be tar running down the outside of the glass , do you have a pin hole leak there ? i know for sure that sometimes the smallest of air leaks will cause it to explode with a loud bang or even not make burnable gas , can you reverse the fan and blow through the whole system before you next light it and check everywhere for air leaks with soapy water and look out for bubbles .

Dave

3 Likes

Jeff says ‘‘start a proper air draft’’ and that is very important. I used and modified several fans of the type you are showing. They often do not create a proper draft. You need a water monometer in the piping close to the gasifier. You need a draft of between 5 and 10 inches of water column. TomC

2 Likes

Hi dave
Yes i have to check my system again.
Especially about airtight.
Thank you

Which kind of fan do you introduce?
Capacity?cfm? etc
But it do suction good.
Thank you

First off you need to hook a clear plastic tube to the pipe line and stick the other end in a cup of water. Measure how high the water comes up out of the cup under vacuum. The closer you can put the tube to the gasifier the better. If you hook it up close to the fan you will get a reading of how much the fan is putting out but if you have any leaks in the system the vacuum can be much less at the gasifier itself.
I prefer a household or shop vac with a “light dimmer” switch wired into the feed line so I can control the vacuum. TomC

1 Like