Škoda pickup on wood

Dont think so. Perhaps just the heating element. It always takes some time before the sensor takes over the “blind” or “memory” setting, and its in this time the engine runs crappy…

6 Likes

Maybe with the air adjustment you can use it like a choke to let the pipes warm up. I’ve had to do that with my Mazda since it runs shoddy without having the idle air adjustment down very Lean but makes it hard to start.

1 Like

Not an option on this kind of injection lm afraid… But its ok. It heats up in a minute or so anyways…

6 Likes

I think you already know, but that element can be checked with an ohm meter.

I actually put a Ford O2 sensor in the downstream position in my Toyota, after the cat. I takes longer to warm up on the 40% ethanol blend I use. So it kept burning out the sensor heating element. I had to solder four wires so it would plug into the wiring harness. No big deal. It has been working well for me for six years now.

Rindert

4 Likes

No, l didnt know that. Thank you

3 Likes

Kristijan, how far are your nozzles above your restriction? I know they are movable so did you move them already or was your first guess working good so you left it as is? Or maybe it is not important?
Did you notice on my drawing that I am going to experiment with nozzle slits instead of flute holes. 3mm by 177mm would give the same opening area as 3 - 8mm holes in each nozzle. If it does not work I can just screw in flute nozzles, in fact I might just try both.

6 Likes

Don, its exactly one brick high :smile: l guess around 5"?
They are still positioned exactly like l showed in the first lightup video. Even the duct tape on the air supply pipe in the hopper holds on :smile: and it seems to be a bullseye. I might play with nozzle angle thugh…

Its probably wery important. Not for pure charcoal or slightly dampened like you intend to use, but if we go higher and maybee even in to mix fuel waters, it shuld be just right and tuned for the engine. We dont want steam bypass the glowzone or god forbid, tar!

I did notice the slits and l am wery keen to see your resaults!

7 Likes

Just curiose, would it be beneficial to have the flutes at different angles in any way? One upward one down to enlarge the burn zone for more water content?

2 Likes

Kristijan I really like the design of your new gasifier. it seems to be an excellent compromise between an updraft and a downdraft
you have probably thought about how to adjust the angle of the nozzles.
how do you think to make this adjustment? :thinking:
Depending on: the temperature of the outgoing gas?
: the size of the coal above the grate?
: …

4 Likes

Thierry, video showing just how l adjust it is uploasing!

I have a confession to make guys. These few days were frustrating! I thod l failed. I culd not get this stubborn old Czech (Škoda) to run on woodgas… Tryed everything. Timing adjustment prooved rather useless. Gas was flaring but still wet. Emptyed the sistem a few times to make sure there isnt any water in it boiling off, tryed different flute angles… Everything. If the engine did run it just barely made enaugh power to run it self. Power was measurable in Watts rather thain KiloWatts… Frustrating. And the worse was it did run EXCELENT for the wery first time, and never again later. So l knew l do something wrong but what???

So, l took a closer look and l seemed to find the fault!

Any Double flute downdraft gasifier making guys, listen up! This seems to be the difference between the gasifier performing excelent and not performing at all! SEAL THE FLUTES!!!
This was the problem!

Steam and weak gas bypassed the glowzone here. Over time lm sure the acumulated ash and fines will seal it for you but l speed things up and mixed a bach of my favourite refractory material, ash with sodium silicate, and plastered the flutes in real well. 3 minutes of work and in a nother 5min the engine was runing and runing good!

Did 3 drive tests after that. First was a short one, power decent. Second was a quick trip to the store yesterday, performance was wery acceptable. Third was a trip to work todatly. Power seems to be better each time! Its the first ever vehicle l gasified that managed the whole trip without any hybriding! Top speed is only 75kmh for now but this car is an idler. It will idle on woodgas for a long time and it will take off after that no problem, without needing to touch the air valve. This is what l always wanted but never achived till now!

I think after some more fine tuneing this will be a great ride!

15 Likes

https://youtu.be/F4_QNfkdT4I

This was just before l found and fixed the problem

11 Likes

https://youtu.be/O9yrRKvgGTM

How do you guys like my choice of gas pipe placement? :smile:

14 Likes

Haha, I love that setup :smile: Very neat. As close to stealth you can get.
Looking forward to some driving videos.

3 Likes

In a way it was more stelth this way. The hose under the car was visible and low, danger of puncture! Wuldnt like to scoop and suck gravel in the engine…

4 Likes

Very clean installation.
If you put a blanked off intake scoop that covers the penetration behind the cab it would look like a snorkel air intake for fording a river

6 Likes

Great idea Mike!

Since you mentioned an air scoop, l need to do that also on the bed cover. The sistem is runing at a healthy temperature now but with low air circulation l feel l culd cool the gas more with a bit more air circulation.

7 Likes

Kristian,
I think you should just copy the Visco system (where air enters through a pipe in a ring around the oxidation zone), leaving room to play with the height from the tuyeres to the limit, and not bother.

At least the gasifier will turn out to be omnivorous (firewood, charcoal, their mixture), as you like.

6 Likes

Joni, lm sure this sistem is great. As a matter of fact, l just talked with Tone, he plans to do just that ring nozzle sistem.

I, however, have a different plan. My goal is to come up with a downdraft gasifier that anyone can make fast and with minimal tools and skill. Fabricating a ring is not so simple…

So far l am pleased with the resaults but the true test will come when l start adding raw wood to the mix…

10 Likes

Well looks like your getting it dialed it, do we get a ride along soon? I know I’m not the only one excited for a ride!

6 Likes

How far apart are your nozzle pipes? Is this critical? Mine are about 5 - 1/2 inches but yours look closer together. I’m wondering if at low (idle) gas production if the hot lobes still meet at the center with nozzles pointed partly up or down.

2 Likes