Storing the gas from making charcoal

The man at our local hardware had told me that I was doing overkill with the detectors he also told me to put them high and low in the apt. for the same reason. Unburnt gas and co.

2 Likes

This might sound weird, but our landlady finally swapped out the dead furnace for a better one. When the semco gas man came to turn on the gas and lite the furnace it would not lite. The transformer had a bad connection after that was fixed but before the gas was turned on and the furnace lit I got those same headaches while in the living room with the electricity on at the furnace. After the furnace was lit and inspected for leaks co etc. I shut the gas and electric off to it and the headaches went away again. I thinl it may have been an emp signal from the transformer

1 Like

Makes me wonder if there is something nasty in the ducting.

3 Likes

hi Cory,
There is ā€œalmostā€ none nitrogen in the gas exitting the retort.
Hence, its almost pure carbon monoxide after it reaches the 500Ā°C mark.
I am trying to get my hands on CNG compressing equipment , the tank i have alreadyā€¦
At 250 bar you can stor quite some gas in a 100 liter tank.
it holds about 15 kg natural gas if fullā€¦
I intend to build some engines to run on it, or even my small tuk tukā€¦
Short trips at short distance is no probā€¦
the only set back: the total consumption doubles, it takes 2kwh to store the gas content for producing 2 kwhā€¦
but working on that :grin:

2 Likes

euhā€¦ CO is slightly lighter then airā€¦
correct me if i am wrong :blush:

1 Like

You are right. I read that the specific gravity of air is .28 and Co is .25. I went to a seminar on smoke and CO detector placement and the instructor said that you can place a CO detector anywhere in the room because CO is just like if someone passes bad gas in a room - you canā€™t get away from it because it goes everywhere. :grin:

4 Likes

Hi people! Came back!, ā€¦my laptop lasted 4 days to update itself (very slow internet in this mountain). I found these videos in the net that may help. I had watched them some time ago while investigating woodgas. Hope they help to clarify. I have allredy bought compresor and found wood water tanks in skrap yards for my project. Enjoy

1 Like

Hi Koen

The retort gas contains a lot of tar.

How do you clean the gas for use in an engine?

Thierry

1 Like

Hi Thierry,
After condensation i use a retort/barrel filled with fresh charcoal to remove the tar.
The retort/barrel then will be reheated in the charcoaling chain to remove the trappe tar.
Those retort barrels are also been used for water filters, filled with activated charcoal and reactivated in the charcoaling system.

then the gas in the tank is clean and ready for use.

3 Likes

Koen - Very interesting.

I have always heard of ā€œactivated charcoalā€ but I donā€™t actually know what it is.

What makes it ā€œactivated.ā€

hi Kyle,
in 2 wordsā€¦
Activated means: remove either by heat or by chemical, all substances filling the pores of the charcoal spongeā€¦
Heat above 900Ā°Cā€¦
So my barrel system does not last long :grin:
The fine pores in the charcoal then attracts dirt and other unwanted stuff

2 Likes

Some time ago l came up with an idea how to make compressed woodgas without a compresor.
If you look at the wood it is basicly a super compresed gas all by it self. One just needs to free that gas and that can be done by a gasifier but l was thinking of something else.
Wood is a carbohydrate. Simply put it is composet of charcoal (carbon) and water in a molar ratio of about 1:1. So l thod why make charcoal by eliminating all the water and a lot of carbon with that and then ading water back to the gasifier like a lot of us do when all the nesesery components are allready there in a percect ratio?
What if l pack the wood in a sealed pressure cooker type retort and heat it to the point where first it breacks down to charcoal and ā€œretort gasā€ and then then heat it enough so the water and tar can react with charcoal to form a mix of high pressure nitrogen free woodgas and a litle bit of ash. I calculated one culd reach a max pressure of 1000 bar.

2 Likes

That would be a retort :grin: or a huge Carbonucleus reactor :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Kristjan

Are you saying that by heating the autoclave (syngas + charcoal + btu 1000 bar) can be harvested from coal and gas pure wood (no N2)

Thierry

For what it is worth, while I was looking around for sources on this topic, I do remember one article mentioning that something like this (maybe a biodigester or something) produces mostly pure CO without the big nitrogen content in woodgas.

A peace of wood by it self has all the potential to become an ideal mixture of H2 and CO for many applycations we just have to find a way to free the gas from this ā€œgas tankā€.

I did experiment with that while on the Fischer Tropsch asignment where pure H2 and CO in 1:1 are neaded, jut like in wood. I was testing a plasma arc pyrolisis but culdn gec graphite electrodes in time and anything else just melted :grin:

3 Likes

Just strip them out of some D-cell batteries. Thatā€™s what I always used to do when I was a kid.

1 Like

Unfortunaly that kind of bateryes are no longer obtainable here with graphite electrodes or they just have a thin one in them. I found wealding graphite electrodes so perhaps some more experimenting next winter when there will be more time.

3 Likes

Hi KristijanL
That post about heating wood in a pressure vessel to make pure CO was very interesting. Looks like it has been 2 years since your last post on this thread. Have you had any more time to think this idea through?

1 Like