Super-capacitor generator setup

I pull start mine.

njhgfdtvhgfg

1 Like

More toys showed up. From left to right: a nice potted step down to USB voltage, a step up to USB, volt meter and a switcher regulator to try with my blower fan. The paper has the time/voltage data that I started to collect.

1 Like

What did you say???TomC

Chris; I had one of those “jumper battery things” for a while and it worked great for me. Start my lawn mowers, old cars, and best of all run my hydraulic "cherry picker:. The problem is it didn’t last as long as a good 12 V battery that was maintained. Have other people had success with these portable battery jumpers?TomC

Hi Tom, that’s what I say when yah need 20 characters. Sunny day today but I have to work on repairing stuff for winter, inside. Got the snow plow adapter welded up for my new 60 year old tractor.

1 Like

Adding more characters to his short post so the forum would let him post it.

A lost inverter showed up at the door yesterday. It’s only 300w but seems well built. No fan so that’s why the 10lbs weight. Morningstar puresine 300.

Another snow storm showing up in about 12 hours…

2 Likes

Pretty… I keep thinking of getting a small pure sine for work lighting and cordless charging…

2 Likes

Hi Tom, I have had 3 of them now. The first lasted for years, used it in place of batteries in garden tractors , mowers and whatnot for years. Second was just like first but junk from the start. Wouldn’t hold a charge and would do nothing but help a week battery. Third was pretty good not as good as the first. For me the cost is to close to that of a real battery any more, I wont be buying another unless 300 amp plus in the thirty dollar range. That probably not going to happen again. Best thing about them is no core charge.

3 Likes

Thanks Jim. I guess a cart with two 6 volt batteries would work better from what you have experienced. ( 6 volt would jump both 6 and 12 volt vehicles ) TomC

1 Like

this year I broke down and bought one for the lawnmower, It seems I buy a full size one every couple years and still vehicle sharing. You can never have to many.

2 Likes

Pooh, talk about slow go… :cry: Seems like I’m in slow motion all the time…

Anybody know if Sun Xtender batteries are any good? I have not found any real reviews of them but a lot of solar supplies handle them.

2 Likes

I’m going to try to make a focalized mount system for this generator. When I was in HF I looked at the Predator generator and their mounts were somewhat focalized and bonded rubber. But a primitive mount in regards to mount geometry.

More snow and cold tonight…

1 Like

The cone of silence… A bit like a focalized Mount system. I’ll have to try this out.

3 Likes

Careful where you grind on a clone case. The alternator bracked didn’t fit the way it was intended so I was going to modify the bracket. But tonight I got the smuck idea to grind on the case to make room for a boss on the bracket. Oh well I’ll steal an end plate from my parts engine. Dang it’s a bit beat, not nice and new like the one I put a hole in. I guess these are my training wheel engines. Maybe some day I’ll try to weld it…

Practice makes perfect…

4 Likes

Ouch, JB weld to the rescue!!!

Looks like you are going about it right. Using the spider couple to the alt is the only way to go!! I noticed you have a V belt pulley on the output shaft, are you going to get a generator motor for starting. This is a bullet proof way to go.

Here you will find Robert Smith, he is one of the leading experts in new super cap development and tech. You might find what he is doing interesting.

3 Likes

Hi Matt, yah I’ve been following him. Interesting stuff. Someday a new bracket should be made just for the clones and you would be the man to cut them out. Need to see how it works first. If it’s not easy to pull start I’m doing something wrong. So no electric starter. I would like to put an alternator on my micro tractor so the v belt would be needed for that or to be able the run a jurker line, etc…

2 Likes

Matt - Interesting video. Have you tried following his recipe?

1 Like

Yup you now exactly what it was like when we were building our own generators. Its a lot of work and most are not willing to pay for them when AC generators are so cheap.

Yeah I had been following graphene development for some time an ran across him. I truly believe this technology and others like are going to replace batteries here very soon.

2 Likes

Haha, not yet but you know I’m thinking about lol. We may be getting a beta unit from Robert this year, depending on cost and what we have to spend. I may start development on this as well :fire:

3 Likes