The workshop music

Cash is incredible and probably the closest thing to universal appeal that we’ve had in the music business. I only saw him perform once, it was after American Recordings wes released and he was someone who had been on top, seen his career slump, and then rebound and it might have just been showmanship, but to me, just a kid sitting at the back of a large theatre, he truly seemed grateful.

The Jayhawks, labelmates from American, were the opening act.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this and some of yall might also.

Kinda long :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Wayne, Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed that.

3 Likes

Last week, I posted the song Miss Williams’ Guitar which is about Victoria Williams, a wonderful songwriter and performer in her own right. I’ve seen her perform solo, as well as with her band The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers. As my wedding was approaching, I sent her an email about her song Let It Be So, a song she wrote for her sister’s wedding. She sent a gracious reply along with the chords to the song. So I feel bad for not posting a song she wrote, but I have to post this one which has a connection to next week’s tune. Here she is performing with Lou Reed.

1 Like

This song, written by Lou Reed for The Velvet Underground, is not consistent with what is typical from them, in style or content, and almost sounds like it could be a prayer. Fairly true to the sound of the original recording, here is Jesus, as covered by the 77’s. Piped

1 Like

Jesus is a song, that I kind of liked but never liked the backup vocalist on the VU album. This is a good version and with a younger Reed, this might have hit the top ten.

3 Likes

Goes with J.O.‘s Cruisin’ video!

7 Likes

Sean, I was not familiar with that, I really like that arrangement.

Mike, that’s cool. Back in the day when street scenes looked like a car show.

Last week I shared a song by the 77’s who lead singer, Mike Roe (not to be confused with Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame), is also in the Lost Dogs. They have written everything from the profound to the bizarre.

This song is about a guy who looses his girl and as he lives near the freeway comes up with a rather silly way to win her back.

Piped

3 Likes

I wasn’t either or had forgotten. It just popped up in the youtube selection. The song might have actually hit the charts without Doug Yule’s vocals. Fernanado actually added what Yule wasn’t capable of. Yule was lead on ‘candy says’ which did work okay, but he just didn’t have the range or able to harmonize with Reed, which is hard to do.

1 Like

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

5 Likes

I think Marcus dyed his hair red and did this video. context for Europeans. Richmond is just south of Washington DC.

8 Likes

Continuing my thread; also in the Lost Dogs is Derri Daughtery, lead singer of The Choir. My initial gut said to post Burning Like the Midnight Sun, but for this silly “It’s all connected” excursive to work, I’m instead going with Behind That Locked Door, a George Harrison cover.

1 Like

I wish I could sing that good, did 5 years in choir class and really enjoyed it still sing with the radio everyday. Good tune though :+1: I’ll listen to it again on the way home!

4 Likes

Now you just need a resonator guitar. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like that song, it will be played more here :+1:

4 Likes

Hey Marcus .

If Chris Stapleton had a little gasifier soot on him or a wrench in his hand yall would look like twins .

I even think yall sound similar .

5 Likes

I listen to a lot of his tunes, he has that country sound that has been missing in country music for many years
Here is another I enjoy with that good country music heart feels

And since I am constantly around truck drivers here is one that fits the country vibe with them folks I really enjoy

4 Likes

@Norman89 Twins - naw…you’re at least a triplet.
Here’s one of your Swedish brothers. His voice gives me the chills.

4 Likes

This one was knocking on my brain this morning. Ahh Youth!

3 Likes

And another THANKS for sharing- a LOT of history behind them meaning full songs.

2 Likes