Thrive Off Grid

If it can crush rocks it can crush chips.

1 Like

Are you speaking of the hammer mill with the short chains welded too the shaft, i dont think the other vidio had no designs features showing.

2 Likes

Here if you want make a pellet mill. this is the cheap and easy way to do it.

1 Like

Here is your how too video. If this hand grinder can do this, I refuse to believe that this is “high energy input” 600 watts to do what that grinder does in seconds!!!

2 Likes

If there was a local outlet too test green dump wood chips in, it would be worth building,? Ware too test a hammer mill , maybe farmers use different types of hammer mills, or same type.? different blade arangments for different feedstock types.??

1 Like

post withdrawn by auther.

2 Likes

Here is a wood dust set up briquitte maker, must be 8 too 15 % dry sawdust or shavings, still needs too be dry. So no gain on dry time for 2-1/2 " od briquette.https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323613106054 i think these big briquette pellots would be too big too make enough fuel power, being there are compressed larger peice’s.

2 Likes

Thats pretty pricy, even this is a bit expensive but this and a little chipper is all you need.

1 Like

Im going to make mine; $350.00 bucks for the 5" die set is hard to beat. I can make the rest pretty easily.

1 Like

You could make one and sell if make momey at it. Do the pellots need be dryish too work good while makeing.? I wounder if reback chunker size wood would work better in the hammer mill too make sawdust shaveings.

1 Like

yeah I dont know. Im trying to keep it simple and just use my cheap ol Harbor Freight Chipper. If it dont work Ill make it work. I cant afford a rebak so the HF chipper will have to work for me.

A hammer mill is as simple as it looks dont over complicate it. Try building just like in the videos. If it dont work try different chains or something. Maybe chainsaw chain?

1 Like

Another thing you can build is whats called a crumbler. It is sort of like those shredding machines you see. but this works with smaller blades like in a circular saw. In fact if I build one that is what I will be using. These would turn anything to small fine shreds with very low energy consumption as they are slow turning. Ive built these for another company Ive worked for in the past. Kinda like a paper shredder on steroids.

1 Like

Crumbler, i have too be looking that up for a while, thanks on that search criteria name. probbly a non available tool on ebay.Comercial unit.

You wont find one, proprietary. This is as close to one as you will find.

1 Like

That looks like a cool shedder, if the blades were easy too remove as posible, and able too sharpen and reinstall with thin washers if needed too maintain proper blade tight clearences.

1 Like

Thats why Im going to use small circular saw blades. You can get a sharpener from Harbor freight.

1 Like

That sounds like it might work better at high speed too make small enough wood particle too fall down in those pellot holes, if the chips dont fly around.
Maybe slow would be better. Probly only need about 6 inch shafts. Good luck with that refinement tool. I been wanting too buy one of them saw blade sharpeners for ever, those aluminum ones might not be too bad.I think the 160$ ones.

3 Likes

Trying to catch up reading this thread and I see my name mentioned.
I general, if harvested before sap and then cut and split as soon as possible, drying firewood is not a problem. Air is usually very dry in late winter, spring and early summer. In July moisture starts picking up and early mornings in August can be dripping wet even with a blue sky.
There’s an old saying firewood prepping has to be over with before Midsummer holidays. I would rather say May at the latest. The earlier the better, to take advantage of springtime dry air.

3 Likes

I agree for the energy end of practicle, though on the other end, say you have easy access too wood chips year round for free . then that solves the wood sourse problem, if it can be hammer milled screened and pelitized, still way ahead of when gas prices skyrocket.The next resesstion could be varry bad, Everybody and there brother looking for wood too stay warm. the wood chips will only be usable too those that were set up before the banks closed, Or just supper high fuel prices. The density of the pellots looks WORTH $$$$$!!!$ tuneing too use.?? Or even as an alteritive too wood chunks for back up reserve fuel choice part time untill needed.

2 Likes

That and you have to have the space. If our township saw a pile of chips on the property they would be here in a heart beat taking pictures and sending nasty mail saying Get Rid of iT!!.

1 Like