Tom Collins' Gasifier

A motor with a long stroke will make usable power.

1 Like

Has any one got the stroke length on one of them lean burn oil well ICE drivers.Yes the s10 4.3 should have a bit faster easyer take off for sure,and easyer too maintain freeway speeds, I see them all the time for 600 too 700 bucks needing a few repairs with decent body.Or ready too roll for few more hundred dollars.

1 Like

JO, Max and all; I’m kind of moving the subject about the “cooling and gas conditioning” of WWII gasifier here so we aren’t “hi-jacking” some one else thread.

I am interested in building a smaller vehicle to run on woodgas. The big thing I see is with the WK system we have a truck bed full of generator, cooling and conditioning equipment. The WWII units had the generator in the back and all the rest on the front-- much smaller. JO Olson sent the following to me which I’m sure you all have seen included in some article you have read. I list it again so that we can all be talking about the same picture.

http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Homepage_english/Miscellaneous/Wood-gas_drive/wood-gas_drive.html

JO first question; There are 3 pipes attached to the bottom of the radiator ( cooler or what ever you folks call it) The first one takes the gas off from the baffles in the “scrubber” area. The second one is taking gas off from the scrubber but past the baffles (as I see it ). It doesn’t show how the gas gets into that chamber only that it goes down and right back up.

Max; Going back through old postings I ran across a conversation where you said you were building a different smaller car — ( excuse me if this is not correct) I believe it was call a Mica. How does that project stand. It interest me. Some pictures would be nice. ( back then you told Don you didn’t have a camera, but by now they are like a butt-- everyone has one)TomC

From what I’m seeing in that diagram: 2 pipes enter into a primary baffle (which is “BEHIND” the tertiary baffle); the gas goes up through the heat-x/radiator pipes (center of the picture); the gas enters a secondary baffle at the top, which is “deeper” than the primary baffle and radiator pipes; the gas then flows down the tertiary baffle which is “in front of” the rest of the system; and then finally out through the third pipe.

Does that make sense?

Brian!

No, Nothing is behind anything else. Up in the center, down at left and right edges. The left bottom part is connected to the right bottom part with a horizontal regular cylindric tube, and the upstream passes around it on all sides. Then, down to a filter from the right bottom part.
The horizontal connecting tube gets a minimal reheating from the hotter upstream flow!
Theoretical playing…

Max

1 Like

High, Tom!

To my “designated” question: Still no camera, but putting it on the list of must have, with audio (WINDPROOF microphone)boom over the head; I dislike the miserable videos with walking around presenters and the camera on a stand or swinging wildly around, showing or focusing on everything else than the object of interest!

Yes, the Nissan Micra now with its 1,2 liter motor has almost equally many HP/ton as my Audi. ~93HP/1000Kg. (63 HP/640Kg). The Audi 103 HP/1010 Kg.

The drawing of the two “barrels” needs the measures of the Alibaba lids with hinges and attatching band around the barrels.
Diam. ~500 mm. Height 1300 mm for the barrels.

Max

1 Like

Tom,
Really simple. That old drawing just makes it look more complicated than it is.

1 Like

OK While trying to figure out how to build this and drawing it up; I realized that there are 3 tubes on the bottom of the “radiator”. #1 takes the hot gas up to the center section of the radiator ( its position allows for the condensate in the center section to return to the “scrubber”). The #2 pipe is only to take the condensation from the two outside tubes back to the “scrubber”. In the end of the scrubber just after the gas deflector plates, is a perpendicular vertical plate that goes from the top of the scrubber to “almost” the bottom. The water prevents that gases from going past this patrician and yet allows the condensate to return to the “scrubber” water. The 3rd pipe only takes the “cooled” gas down to below the cork filter. I hope that is how it works.

Max Is the cooling size really all about horsepower ( which I find to be a very un- precise measure ) or is it about displacement and rpms? My V6 is just a little larger that a "42 Mercury in displacement. So “ruffly” shouldn’t I get away with about the same size “gas conditioner”?

I haven’t paid much attention to the scrubber.

Looking at the right hand cross-section drawing it seem to mee gas is diving under surface two times. Then only up through two parallell pipes. I think filter bottom had to be emptied for any additional condensate separately.

I’m hesitant to how effective this kind of scrubber/bubbler is. All I know is you will lose a couple of inches of vacum.

I am thinking of making a horisontal condensation tank also beeing the lower connector of the cooler pipes at the same time. Gas entering at an angle for some svirling action before travelling up the pipes.

1 Like

Hi,Tom!

You should follow the tiny small arrows, which CLEARLY show the flow direction at every spot!

The end picture of the condense tank is taken from the right side of the vehicle.

You again see the small arrows showing gas input and output.
The two output tubes up to the cooler are “in line”, so you can see only one!
That is clear when you look at the “broadside” picture.

The gas comes into the condense tank in front of the “saddle” plates, and the two (2) tubes go up to the cooler behind (after passing the saddle).

The gas flow is “measured” by the motor displacement X RPM, as a pump.

To be more exact:

L X n X 3 = Net woodgas consumption/s with WOT.

L = displacement in liters

n = count of 1000 RPM

3 = factor sum of all input factors

Horsepower allows estimating when not knowing exact displacement and RPM.

Max

2 Likes

Whoo Raa!!! Santa brought me a “lump of coal” to try in my gasifier. How did he know it was just what I deser— wanted.Tomc

8 Likes

Tom, I hope it was a hundred pound lump.
Merry Christmas. Bob

3 Likes

I had a problem with my computer so I got on the phone with a “tech”. She ran me all around on my computer imputing info and deleting others. In doing this, I came across this drawing. Frankly I don’t remember when or why I did it but I do give credit to Max, so I thought I would post it Besides I think John H was talking about driving in the cold.TomC

2 Likes

Hi tom i have two pickup truck loads of shinny coal, i was thinking on mixing some in with my soft wood just too add a few more coals, I think at full 100 percent coal it would run too hot? And then it might not be as clean as the wood burning is, cleaner than gasoline on the emissions.

1 Like

I played with coal some but never feed it to an engine because my coal was on the acidic side and I thought the acid would be hard on the internals… :fearful:

1 Like

Thanks Jeff davis,i have not thought of the acidic value, Thanks, good for backup fuel at least,and it wont degrade sitting around being the shinny coal,its a little too coal stinky too burn in the home heating unit with my close neybers,in this warmer weather.All though any fuel wood suffice in a fuel shortage event.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin, I think iron chips would take the acid out. Back in the 30’s they ran trucks on coal. I have so much wood that I didn’t need to try it.

2 Likes

He Guys. I have to admit I am beginning to have memory problems, so if my posts are duplicates forgive me.
I was going through some old “stuff” on my desk and came across a drawing that I don’t remember doing. It was back in 2014 and on a preliminary drawing I see I had written “Max” so I guess this was something Max had suggested. Quite often he tells us how to do something and in order for me to understand his description, I try drawing it out.
Now that I found this it looks like a good

idea— combining an Imbert with a “charcoal” gasifier. ( If we have discussed this I apologize.)TomC

1 Like

I read through your entire thread yesterday looking for something I thought was there. So many interesting discussions. Today I don`t remember what I was looking for in the first place and I´m 30 years younger than you :smile:

2 Likes

Who needs sketch up? You draw pretty good!

5 Likes