Ok Max; Success at last!
I decided yesterday to clean the hopper fire tube and what ever. I started out the hopper looked like this;
When I was making all the latest modification some wise person said to make the grate so that you can removed it. I had never had a situation where I wanted to remove the grate before but I half listened. I made the grate so that I could release in and let it fall into the ash pit. I didn’t cut the bottom of the gasifier so that I could take the grate out however, which I was also advised is a good idea. Anyway I got everything cleaned out down to the restriction. Then I opened the ash door and used a small screw driver to poke through the bottom of the grate and try to agitate the char so that it would fall through. That didn’t work. Something was keeping the screw driver form moving. Well, I had made the grate so that I could drop it down-- so that is what I did. When I got it down the following pictures were what I found hiding on the grate;
Huston, I think we have a problem!
I cleaned everything all out. Then started rebuild the char bed per Max’s direction.
This is the “fuel sized” charcoal that I filled the fire tube to about 4 in. above the nozzles.
This was the layer of char over the nozzles.
I lit the charcoal and closed the lid and let the Kirby pull on the hopper from the ash pit for about 5 min. The char directly above the fire tube was a solid red glow. The I kind of deviated from the instructions. I have a pile of charred wood left over from my fire that had not been ground down to fuel size. Shown in this picture
This is some good char and it’s size resembles what I usually find between the raw wood in the hopper and the small char below the nozzles. I dumped the char over the glowing char in the bottom of the hopper, opened the lid and close off the air inlet to the nozzle manifold. I turned the Kirby around and blew up from the ash pit, out the lid. When I could see the glowing embers coming up to the top of the last char thrown in, I put a buck of the chunked wood I had cut and dried into the hopper…
I let the Kirby pull on the hopper with the hopper lid closed and nozzles open for about 5 min. Then I adjusted everything and started the engine on petro. It ran just for a few seconds and died. I shut the gas off and started the truck on wood gas. After a couple of minutes, I got out and put two more bucket of wood in the hopper and put two bag of wood in the back of the truck and took off down the road. I drove for about 35-40 mile ( no speedometer) Going down hill I would shift in to OD and if the road was flat, it would hold the speed. The slightest incline and I down shifted out of OD. The slightest up hill and I started down shifting through the gears. Very happy with that part. I did have problems when I slowed down and went around a corner. When I down shifted and tried to pick up speed, it was very sluggish and stuttered. Now I just have to saw up some more wood-- and get a bag of lemons. TomC