It is too hot to be in the shop and hotter in the sun--- so you get my dissertation.
Subject--- truck got where it would not idle.
Conclusion--- cleaned the Throttle Position Sensor and problem handled
Discussion--- I remember my first trip to Green Bay on wood, I stopped in my mechanics shop to show off. His crew and neighbors all gathered around and we discussed every aspect of this "wonder". All the time it sat there idling and my mechanic even noted how long and well it had been idling. Fast forward to now and the truck had gotten where it wouldn't idle on wood or gas. As I said it has been "hotter than the hubs of Hell", so I haven't been inspired to take on any "jobs" on the truck. Finally, I have been reading about everyone putting a cable on the accelerator to speed the idle up. Figured that would take mostly bench work and so I "bit the bullet"--- I wear blue jeans everywhere-- church, funerals, out to eat, every where except bed ( my wife has something to say about that) so I decided to give up the jeans for my pajama bottoms and a sleeveless T- shirt with my flip-flops. Sitting at the bench was---- O-K, but then I had to go under the dash. Two trips under the dash and I was sweating water, like " a pic gushes blood when stuck". The next day the same situation -- a hour or two and working under the dash and I was wiped out. I don't even remember how many days I spent, but finally got something that "sort of " worked. I was't real happy with it. All the time in my mind I was reminded that one of our great WK contributors said that this situation was caused by a dirty TPS. I stood back and studied what appeared to be a major project of removing the air cleaner and brackets that appeared to be in the way. Finally, I made up my mind to give it at try and if it got to complicated I would live with my "jerry rigged" cable. Ohwalla!!!!! It came apart so easy with out all the hassles I had convinced myself would be there. I wire brushed the pintel but it seemed to be to rough for that so I took emery cloth to it and I was able to smooth it up without getting into the metal it's self. Then I had a small round wire brush that I use to clean tail light bulb sockets. I ran that into the opening and screwed it around a few times and blew air into the opening to clean it out. Put it back to gather and than thank you to who ever recommend this, it is back to working perfectly. Drove it about 30 miles and wow " no more driving with one foot on the accelerator and the other jumping between the clutch and the brake. My smile came back TomC