Tom Collins' Gasifier

Hopefully Arvid’s and Al’s replies helped you determine your axle’s ratio. I have finished and mounted the main components of my trailer mounted WK gasifier, now I have to plumb, wire and install sensors. I will provide details and photos soon, probably this weekend.

Rick

Hang in there Rick, We might have some snow here in the morning. I’ll check in and see what Tom reports …,. I hate that crap but it’s right on schedule … I want to fire up my new system … brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr … We’re pushing 40 right now and I had to bring my chair inside or put on a real coat … Mike L
PS, I started with the wool hat earlier today and parked the stupid brimbed cap …

Was snowing hard here today Mike. We have a couple inches forecasted for tonight. Trees and grass were covered just ten miles west this afternoon while I was out and about. Gonna build a fire tonight getting chilly in here.

Ok Thanks Al Arvid, Marvin , and Rick; I think I have the gear ratio figured out. I was looking on the glove box FO plate for either a “GU” or a “GT”. The one I finally decided was correct “looked like”-- GLI; After closer steadying I concluded it was GU. So I have a 3.08 rear end. On my last Chev truck I welded in a Ford 3.73 and that worked very nice. So off the the bone yard.
Marvin, I am using two thermocouples with a meter that has it’s own battery so it doesn’t matter if the TC is grounded or not. I still have my panel with the 4 digital displays but need to buy some “non grounded” TC and as of now I can’t find a seller that lets you specify. I could go to Batteries Plus tomorrow and pick up some small 12 V. battery to run just my panel and then any of the many TC’s I have would work
No word of snow up here Mike. Got to look up Jim LaPlant to see where he lives—I hope it’s Anchorage.TomC

I’m 5 hours NW of you Tom, just south of the big pond

Tom

I have grounded thermocouples and I am using batteries also. I picked up two fresh batteries from Batteries Plus yesterday. The new batteries have screw. terminals

I placed my batteries in the center console and made a wooden cover for them. Let me know if you find some ungrounded thermocouples and I will swap mine out also.

Thanks
Pat

Thanks Pat. That is what I have in mind right now. A couple of dry cell batteries that I can mount under the seat. I’m still looking for the ungrounded TC but batteries like this will get me past this stumbling block. The meter I have is fine for two channels, but I really want to get some more channels going. I use a TOTALLY different gas/ air heat exchanger and I need at lest one more TC to get info on how well it works before I say anything about it.TomC

Jim, The snow stuck on our roof this morning but melted on the grass. It’s about 35 degrees here right now at 11 AM. I just took the trailer off the red truck. I’m getting ready to hook the new one up and run tests on it … Stay warm … Mike

A little something different from me.

I think it was Johnny C that found some inexpensive thermocouples that were ungrounded. I bet Chris knows which ones they were.

Marvin

I found T/C on ebay that specify ungrounded they are EGT type K Sorry I don’t know how to add the link here,haha! Al

Thanks Al and Marvin; I found this one but before I order, I need to go to the truck and measure the length of the cable I need.TomC

Tom these should work. Al
http://www.ebay.com/itm/gi-2M-EGT-K-Type-Thermocouple-Exhaust-Probe-High-Temperature-Sensors-Threads-New-/181130183093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a2c3341b5

Thanks Al; Yes, I like those with the bent TC so they don’t stick out so far, But, I find I need 3 meter lengths. I have sent a question in to another E-bay account to see if his 3 meter units are grounded. In the mean time I’m going to get a couple of dry cell batteries to mount under the seat.Thanks for your informationTomC

But read the fine print, not all “Exhaust Gas Temperature” TC’s are created equal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-type-Thermocouple-Temperature-Sensors-for-EGT-w-1-8-NPT-Compression-Fittings-/251632753649?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3a967b1bf1&vxp=mtr

But read the fine print, not all “Exhaust Gas Temperature” TC’s are created equal. What is the difference we are looking for?

Yes Carl, please elaborate. The problem with the one you listed is it is only 2 meters of cable. I am more comfortable with the 3 meter table. Of course you know I am looking for NON grounded. I like the ones that have a bend in them so they don’t stick out so far ---- start heading to the cab right away.TomC

If it doesn’t specifically say “ungrounded” then it is a gamble. Cable length is another thing, 3 meter will barely reach on my extended cab, gasifier to floor console. Some units are bent 90 degrees, and some are not. Some come with the compression fitting with 1/8 or 1/4 NPT thread. Be sure to weld the bung as short as you can, or weld it long and cut it off, so you can get the TC tip in the center of the gas stream whenever possible. If the TC ever fails, it will be easier to cut it off and use a female TC connector for the replacement, rather than replace the whole long cable. Then the lead length don’t matter.

hi tom I was cruzing dow the road the other day after I finely have been able to use overdrive I was thinking of your post and wondering what your final goal was . you mentioned not being able to use top gears and having to keep rpms up to go by changing your gears you might be able to shift up but still have high rpm and if you run on gasoline your stuck with high rpm, at least if you don’t change gears your gasoline driving wont be affected . and for some reason you find the magic combo you still have the 1-2 speeds left . just saying I drove in drive for a couple of monthes and didn’t think overdrive with the lockup converter was going to be possible .food for thought good luck
paul

Paul & Tom, We are driving to the gulf coast on Friday for a long week. Will take it slowwwww. Driving the wife’s car (gasoline and automatic) as she refuses to drive stick shift. Hope to make it to Paducah for a hotel or may only make Mt. Vernon or Marion in Illinois. That is the longest state in the country !!! On Saturday I plan to get off after Huntsville and take the Dixie Highway to Ashville and drive up Wayne’s driveway and visit for an hour or two in the afternoon and then head south again towards Mobile. I’m sure Wayne knows the best route. He’s always sleeping by the time I get to the house and call his house. They don’t predict any hurricanes anytime soon so we should be in good shape ??? My new gasifier is ready for road testing and I think I got my business ducks in a row so when we get back I will have to run, even though I can’t run … No reflexes in legs or arms so best I can do is walk fast and keep an eye on the ground … The golden years … Mike