Tomo Vinković 418 on woodgasdgas

I have always wanted to build a tractor like that. They seem very utilitarian.

Do you steer more with your legs, or with your arms? The handlebars seem more like places to rest your hands.

6 Likes

i am not really shure if i understand…the left lever is for example synonymous to the foot pedal of my hanomag tractor for giving the needed power…
the right lever is for shut-off, idle and fix regulating of rpm on always stable turns…
now when i drive the motoretta, i regulate always with the right lever (how as i do with my mower) with the thumb the needed rpm (the left lever is a bit inconveniant by construction to free regulation),
so , what i not understand, when i fix the left lever( what is synonymous to the foot pedal in my hanomag tractor) on full power for woodgas using, how you explained. does this not disactive the right lever (the idle , stable rpm , shut off lever)??
and so gives maximal diesel injection quantity??
i dont know if the regulation system on your tractor acts in the same way as mine?
should be interesting to see a design how the pump for one cylinder engines is built and regulated…is it the same system as 4 cylinder pumps , regulating the delivery quantity by turning the pump pistons?

5 Likes

cody steering is only by hand and in some positions very hard…i will add some pieces for foot steering too, but must see before how is this possible because of the gasifier basement.
when you look at picture 3 you see the gasifier basement on the right side, but i think this additional weight of the gasifier is too heavy for the axles, because they are long ( the engine can be modyfied also as tiller) so i must build a frame that brings the weight near to the wheel…

8 Likes

The modern way to do it:
(not necessarily better =)

4x4:

I’ve hooked up our beat-up little stake bed trailer to our BCS tractor, to haul firewood from the neighbor’s place. We got fuel, but no pictures :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

You certainly have some interesting machines Girogio. Never seen wheels that looked like those. What really caught my eye was the stone paving. That is excellent. Is that part of a road? Also what are those buildings in the background with the thatched roofs. Don’t see that anymore.

7 Likes

It seems to be exactly the same as myne.

If l understand right. When driving you need to hold the left hand lever and if you let go, the engine stops yes? Thats the shutoff lever seen on picture 2 that has the big spring atached. You only need to come up with a screw mechanism to set this lever so that the shutoff mechanism starts to shut down fuel, but not quite fully.

Then you can give it max throtle and the engine will want to give full injection (max rpm) but can not since you limited it with the shutoff lever. It will remain in idle no matter what. Then you can add the woodgas.

Tom, l belive those are haystacks. A clever way to preserve hay if one has no space in the stable.

8 Likes

seems different my engine as yours…driving yes with the left hand lever hold, but when i let it go, the engine not stops! this lever but is connected with the spring …

shut off lever is the lever on the right hand(lever completely up stops the engine)… i pull it down a bit for starting and than regulate idling… but can also make higher rpm with this lever(but extreme higher rpm only with the left hand lever)

right hand lever in position for starting and idling, completely up is engine off…

i tried this morning left hand lever pressed down, right hand lever in shut off position…the engine was not to start, will say though full down pressed left hand lever gots no diesel…
can you combine how the regulation works with this description?

3 Likes

tom, in the background, how kristijan has sayd , are haystacks or strawstacks, seems the houses from asterix and obelix village…stone paving is our treshing place, my son makes all this stone pavings from stones he found around here …
the wheels… you must know i am not really a fan of flat tires, so we made this solution…, we have a lot of thorns here everywhere, the rubber is made from old tractor tires…very early , teached by always flat wheelbarrows and horse cart wheels, i stopped to get boared by pneumatic tires…

7 Likes

Giorgio, your diesel engine has a slightly different arrangement of levers for regulating the amount of fuel and speed regulation, something similar is done on the Yanmmar engine. The handle, which has a spring on the outside, is supposed to be for adjusting the “fuel amount”, and the handle under the cover is for maintaining the revolutions, so if you want a really small amount of fuel, loosen the steel wire for the outer handle, so the fuel will be limited to a minimum and the engine will achieved only a small power.

5 Likes

tone, thank you for explainig…yesterday morning i looked your video with the woodsplitter, where you give gas from the fergie, i have seen you make something with the regulation…
is it the same, instead of loosing the steel wire of the lever with the spring, when i only not pull down this lever, simply not using it?
when i need additional diesel power on steep street than i can pull down this lever with the spring?
this would be a very conveniant system…

3 Likes

Giorgio, in that video I set the lever in the wrong direction, well, even without any physical limitation of diesel fuel, the speed controller will automatically reduce the amount of injected fuel when you add wood gas, it’s very simple, you just have to try. Let me just say that a diesel engine with the addition of wood gas works very well under load, idling does not suit it, so it is good to increase or decrease the amount of gas in parallel with the load

3 Likes

thanks tone for your help…is your fergie actually yet on spark plugs or have you returned to diesel ignition?

3 Likes

I use diesel fuel for short trips, but otherwise I start the gasifier and during the heating of the engine and the gasifier it works hybrid (5-10 minutes), and then it starts to work on 100% wood gas on ignition with spark plugs.

7 Likes

What Tone sayd. Usualy, we like to say we preffer fuel injected motors over carbourators, because usualy the ECU works well with us and helps with hybriding. Well, with such simple old diesels its the same, only its all mechanical and no electronics!

When l know l will need a lot of power on my tractor, l just light up the gasifier, loosen the fuel limiting screw (let it run factory set) and let the engine suck on the gasifier, max. The fuel governing sistem will then add or cut off diesel, depending on power needed.

Cons: it consumes a bit more fuel.
Pros: l loose NO power and performance, it drives literaly the same as on pure diesel.

But l think the fuel savings are still well above 50%.

8 Likes

tone, i remember , when you began with the gasifier on the tractor, it runs also without injecting diesel fuel …but you tried it not so long, being afraid of damaging injectors, when they not get cooled by bypassing diesel fuel…
how is the experience now? the injectors keep up also when not cooled…?

4 Likes

Giorgio, so far there are no problems with the diesel injectors, apparently they cool down enough in contact with the water-cooled engine head.

7 Likes

kristijan are some results with tone ´s gasifier on charcoal only…my son cannot wait, is too curious…i told him shure it rains there, he cannot test …the whole forum waits…

5 Likes

Indeed, l plowed some the other day, on a friends feald, but as soon as the gasifier started to run out of torrefied wood and bagun burning charcoal, l had a litle incident and developed a crack on the gasifier housing so l was not able to test it further. We finaly expect some dry weather and l plan to rototill the plowed feald. I will be able to report then.

True, we have had rain for a long time now. A record amount of water since we moved here in '19. Water is erupting out of the ground every couple of meters. Streams flow across the hayfealds. But so far, we suffered no dammage on the fealds via erosion (no till realy works) and no sighns of landslides have beed observed. Others were not so lucky. Those whp still preffer to rototill their fealds to a powder had suffered greatly. This can be prevented, land slides are a different story. A lot of real time videos popped out on FB these days, people looking at years of hard work (wineyards, objects… ) literaly slideing away. Those are in need of prair.

11 Likes

It is excellent news! I am really happy it is working for you. :slight_smile:

landslides are an extreme form of soil erosion. They typically plant grass and shrubs. Trees are better but they take a long time to grow. The roots absorb the water (along with the fungi) and intermingle to help hold the soil. It also slows down the water so more gets absorbed up the hill. It doesn’t prevent all landslides but it can reduce the occurrence, and size of the affected area. It is a lot easier then moving boulders.

4 Likes

kristijan, the damage on the gasifier was caused by heat expansion of the metall or vibration?
excuse our curiousity…information is always interesting for own builds. actually i protect the metall around by dimension , using insulation capacity of coal…

5 Likes