Greetings all: Here is the promised project update:
A friend of a friend worked on the Corolla carburetor several weeks ago in an effort to correct some problems, however the float bowl is still emptying its contents into the intake manifold over night. My work-around for that now is to shut off the gasoline valve and allow all the gas in the carburetor to burn out before turning the ignition off. Also, the spark plugs still show signs of the engine running with a rich gasoline mixture.
Two weeks ago I arranged auto insurance for the Corolla, had it inspected, registered, paid the highway use tax, property tax and fees. So, now it is legal. I was concerned about the inspection, so I put the original air intake parts back on and connected them properly. The inspector didn’t even look under the hood until I opened it up after he finished the inspection to ask if there would have been a problem with it set up for charcoal operation. He said that it would not have made any difference to him. He was interested in my project. I expect that helped. The inspector did mention something about big men in black coats and a thin man with a suitcase full of money and what might happen to me if I didn’t accept their offer to buy my threat to the petroleum industry. Ha! Ha!
Last week, I drove the car on gasoline to a one mile paved drive in an undeveloped industrial park. Then, I drove up and down the drive several times on charcoal. I thought it performed very well.
Today was another WOW! day for me—the first day on the highway (low traffic areas only, for now). I was very pleased with the performance of the basic SimpleFire fueling a car. First, I made three trips up and down the industrial park drive again. I tried to change over from chargas to gasoline and back while driving. That didn’t work very well. I may need to add a valve on the gas side of my T-adapter for switching over on the fly so no chargas will enter the carburetor when runing on gasoline. Then, it was on to the highway for the first time. The car stayed in second gear most of the time (it is a three speed). Forty to 45 mph is good on the flat. Don’t tell anyone, but I did break the speed limit once, going 50 in a 45 mph zone. I went about 15 miles distance total. There were three stops to change over to gasoline and back to charcoal to get past a high traffic area near an intersection with the interstate, and there were two long idling periods when I showed the car to some curiosity seekers explaining to them how it works and answering their questions. With all the starting and stopping and idling I expect the fuel consumption stats are low. It worked out to about 2 miles per gallon by volume. My charcoal weighs about one pound per gallon which I classify as low quality softwood charcoal. The gas coming out of the final filter remained at ambient temperature throughout the run. From initial lighting to shut down was about an hour and fifteen minutes. The flex exhaust was warm where it enters the bottom filter bucket. I failed to mention to Eddy that I have a thermometer in the top bucket which today never registered any increase in temperature. The filters did their job and were not unreasonably dirty.
I have been trying out a water drip. On the first run a week ago it did not seem to make any difference. Today I think it did increase the power some. I use the exhaust return all the time, but cut back on it some today when using the water drip. I did startup using the engine running with gasoline. The engine cut off a couple of times before it would idle. I like using blower better, since I can tell when the gas is good enough to run the engine by observing the flare.
The only changes since the last photos are some protective “armor” for the sump pump hose, the screened air intake with water drip nozzle attachment, the water container, needle valve and sight “glass.”
Here are some photos for this update: (1) Cable controlled gasoline cut-off valve, (2) protective armor for the sump pump hose, (3) the water drip mechanism in operating position. and (4) the air intake water drip attachment.