Transmission belt made from tires on woodgas small engine

Much possible, here is a Mako, the bigger truck-model.

:smiley:

7 Likes

They were very brazen back then to mount in the front. I’d be afraid of someone crashing into me, or forgetting my depth and rear ending them.

6 Likes

True, but aerodinamics and cooler efficiency wise it shuld be the best solution.

7 Likes

I’ve been planning a charcoal gasifier for my friend’s Renix computer Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Reactor in the back and filter in the front. Has the 4 Litre inline 6. He’s contemplated cutting the back end of the roof off so that would make mounting it easier.

4 Likes

Yes they where, easy mounting, cooling, short piping. But what do you think about this? Volvo’s popular charcoal, one wheel cart, mounted in front!!! This is taking it to the extremes, poor drivers, no power steering at that time.

:laughing:

10 Likes

Wow! I never thought I would see anyone do THAT! TomC

4 Likes

That’s no fun doing it the easy way. But I am starting to agree with the idea to make mine like a pickup bed. But I would loose the stealth look on the Jeep. II am going to keep trying to put it through the roof and back end hatch gate. Also it is a unibody frame.
Bob

4 Likes

His is body on frame, it’s an 1989/90. It really would just be turning his Cherokee into a Gladiator/Comanche with 4 doors. He’s got bigger problems to worry about like his driver’s door not latching shut.

2 Likes

http://www.gengas.nu/bilder/index.shtml

6 Likes

Giorgio; Thank you for the pictures of REAL gasifiers. We thought all Swed’s built shiny stainless steal. Most of tthese resembled more what WE are building over hear. Surprisingly, I recognized several of those as people who had shared some of the information we got in our early days of looking for anything GASIFIED. THAT Erik with the trailor was an early contributor, but I think I know him better from Max Gasman’s post. Mike LaRossa use to speak of Erik often. TomC

6 Likes

There is a light blue volvo 142, it’s one of my first builds. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

How did you mount to the car? Off the rear bumper mounts?

4 Likes

Göran, was that sone kind of fema build with no nozzles? I saw a primary air inlet into the hopper?

5 Likes

I’ve mounted it on a tow bar beam, and two pieces of angle iron through the trunk space, welded at two shorter pieces between trunk floor and the wall behind backseat.

8 Likes

Yes, after my first attempts i discovered the Fema, did much experimenting with it, evolved into some “hybrid Fema” with one horizontal nozzle, and a restriction made from one of them plate rings from a woodstove, (spisringar frĂ„n en köksspis) :smiley:

5 Likes

Did you make any tar with it?

6 Likes

It often made a LOT of tar, yellowish start up smoke, i learned a engine runs pretty good on tar, odd thing i never got the engine gummed up with this gasifier, probably because it often stopped a long way from home, and i had to re-install the carb to make it home. Runned more reliable with the updates, less tar, but the firetube got an odd “banana shape” due to the single horizontal nozzle, which lead to the restriction ring to crack in four pieces.
I think the longest successful trip with this gasifier was some 30km, but i was happy, with a big smile everytime it ran.
:smiley:
Edit: if i remember correctly the start-up time with this gasifier (when it actually started) was around 20-30 mins :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Haha, you’ve been a true pioneer :smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks JO, yeah i actually tried to build my first gasifier when i was 12-13 years old :roll_eyes:
after i’ve seen a woodgas volvo pv in tv-show: Grabbarna pĂ„ Fagerhult, if you remember that, it’s on SVT-play i belive.
That gasifier had a “grate” made of aluminum, that didn’t hold up more than 5 minutes maybe, it produced a lot of smoke anyway :smiley:
I think it was my first contacts with the internet that make this “woodgas habit” carry on. As many youngsters in Sweden i drove a: EPA, A-tractor, even that i tried to “gasify” but at that time there was much other things that occupied my time :slightly_smiling_face:
I hope i can stand as a warning how bad this woodgas habit can end up anyway :crazy_face:

12 Likes

8 Likes