True cost of electric cars

Your missing my point yes they had investment. They did not have existing infrasture built over a 100 years to lose. Its all new and new money. Yeah I wish the cult would leave the EV alone I have another term for that but then it gets political. lol.

Yeah another thing I dont think people really understand is how big these company’s and all the ouside infrasture really is. If GM were to tank tomorrow the entire global economy alos tanks and not just a dip it would be massive depression., These companies employ 100’s of thousand of employees and thats not including Johnson controls. Magna, Dana, Sealed Power, Federal Mogul and all hundreds of others. All high paying jobs paying out to millions of people. When they go away so does all the rest of it. This is why these companies are specials and government bailouts because they know the consequences.

Yeah Tesla was not on the same level in the beginning.

3 Likes

Back around 2001 a friend of mine asked about buying tesla stock in their IPO. I told him after studying the history of the automotive industry I didn’t see how a company in the USA would enter the market. I assumed Elon was pushing up his market value simply to sell the company to the big automakers. I figured tesla would be the victim of a hostel takeover if nothing else. But I honestly think Elon’s greatest skill regardless of how you feel about him personally is his understanding of marketing. He managed to built a cult of personality which overvalued the Tesla stock to the point where the others companies couldn’t do a hostel takeover. Too bad I didn’t have funds to gamble with back when my friend asked. He did put a couple thousand into Tesla stocks at one point just in time for it to increase in value enough to buy his Model 3. Making it the cheapest new car he ever bought. I laughed when he told me he bought is Model 3 with his $2000 tesla stock purchase years earlier.

5 Likes

Last time I saw my grandpa he was talking about the time that his grandfather missed the chance to buy 1/50th of Henry Ford’s new company. He was Ford’s favorite taxi driver, in Chicago I think. (at least that’s the way he remembered it I guess)
Ford offered him a chance to buy into Ford for $5.00.
Oh well, coulda shoulda woulda.

8 Likes

Good News all the way around

6 Likes

GM actually isn’t that far behind Tesla if they are behind. They are on gen 3 of their electric platform, and gen 4 is starting to come together. The ultium platform, because it is a lego kit should cut down their costs significantly.

GM is part owner of the hottest selling EV in the world which is the Wuling Hongguang mini-ev. Telsa fanatics are always dismissive of that vehicle because it trumps their volume numbers.

Gm’s first of four announced US battery factories is coming online this summer. They are in part waiting for the utility to finish installing electrical service. Once they get lordstown online, they can start shipping products. Most likely, they start with big products like Bright Drop delivery vans, the Hummer and possibly even Silverado EVs, and quite possibly they may have some agreements with other companies like through Detroit Diesel.

If you are aiming at oil demand or emissions, it isn’t necessarily about volume of consumer vehicles. It is about getting the vehicles that run 8-12 hours a day converted. The average US consumer vehicle only travels 35miles/day.

I read something along the lines of the Tennessee plant was going to produce a different type of cell. I didn’t have time to chase down what they meant but quite possibly, it could be LiFe, and destined for their consumer vehicles.

The whole transition is hard, not only because of all the legacy investments, but because you have to find a market to sell vehicles that cost more while you work through the cost structures. It was always going to be awkward growth. Because no one could predict what market segment would take off. But even if there are some delays, they are on the right path, and they made the right move to get a lot of the investment done, while they were making profits. GM wouldn’t be able to maneuver if they waited until they weren’t making a profit to switch. Stockholders would get upset.

Despite what Tesla morons say, GM is not in a bad position at all. I figured (in 2008) it would take 4 generations of EVs and and until about 2030 for cost competitive vehicles (based on sticker price) with ICE (which was a conservative estimate that I thought they could achieve prior to that, but realistic given they could run into unforeseen problems)

The only thing I really missed was the wholesaling of Electrified vehicles outside the country because oil prices spike about every 15 years for whatever reason. We wanted about a million in the us by 2021. I don’t think we got that. And the Tesla folks can’t shut up about hybrids nor can the v8 crowd… So they got squashed when that was the easy button. It was kind of like shipping E85 vehicles which is another easy button but that got cut off by the distribution channel.

2 Likes

@d100f
No BMS on those runs. We don’t use one for driving. For charging we use a Daly 48v. We have switches to go to 48v. The runs were these batteries failed was the very initial runs. We charge each cell individually before installing in the car. The cells were all good before they went in.
I suspect that we bought some bad ones. I am not complaining about the cells as much as the vendors. I recommend buying through PayPal or some other middle man that will return your money if the cells are bad. We screwed up by having 60 cells in a big box and not knowing which cells came from which vendor.

Things to research…
A replacement for the Curtiss 1231. Something better?
The new CALB cells
I am also talking with signature solar about a 96v lifepower for the car. Those Lifepowers have a built in heater.

2 Likes