Two pedals in one

Here is a Idea I thought about a while back if using a EFI or Carburetor powered engine for woodgas or char gas. You still can be able to use the carburetor with out having the gas pedals separated apart from each other making it difficult to operate both of them at the same time when needed.

The idea is to make a pedal around the original pedal and have it operating first to open the mixer box under the carburetor for the manual air valve and wood or char gas valves that are operated from the cab of the vehicle. Your right foot will control the gas pedals. No need for two foot operating two different pedals. The carburetor fuel can be left on or turned off.
If you just want to use the gas pedal for gasoline you can close the manual air and wood/char gas valves. Reset you advance timing for gasoline and drive.
This is a little different then what @KristijanL did on his vehicle.
All of my vehicles are mpfi except my 1976 440 cubic in. Dodge motor home, I am not planning on putting a gasifer on it any time soon. But you never know. It only gets 8 miles per gallon of gasoline. Hum if I could get the fuel mileage up to 20 miles per gallon of gasoline I would use it more by hybrid fuel driving.
This topic is open for discussion.
Bob

4 Likes

So just input here, but roughly your first 1/4 of throttle would be on pure woodgas, if the dino was shutoff. If dino is on you would be hybrid. If you get the geometry correct you could really dial in a cable to the wood gas valve to get full travel (full fuel flow) before you ever get to the dino. I like the idea, I was also thinking of a way to have a handle under the dash not unlike wayne’s timing control that would disengage the carb throttle cable and then engage the wood gas throttle cable so one pedal would be used

3 Likes

This has come up before, Chris has a video of a linkage for this.

3 Likes

3 Likes

8 Likes

The distance between the pedals is adjustable so the correct throttle can be used for both. The drawing is not to scale just fictional sorry I did not make that clear.
Bob

3 Likes

like al sayed, the carb motors might work best, pulling the wood gas in under the carb. If there room under the hood, my s10 had room, so i built the manifold box under the carb, big enough for 2" pipe pluming. you need good seal on the wood gas buttery fly when running on dino though.

4 Likes

That throtle idea looks like a great idea, you might be able too make the cable end of the pedal rod a little longer and put the other cable up a little higher, and still useing one foot pedal.?

2 Likes

Yes Kevin, I have thought about that, it depends on how the vehicle gas pedal is set up and how much play you can get out of it. My motor home I could use the same pedal for both. Chris S. idea is a good one too, I forgot about his idea. I am glad it was reposted for others to see.
Bob

1 Like

Who is against a big knarly cowl hood :laughing: I was actually thinking about wayne’s truck with the twin 2 inch plumbing raised through the hood for the twin turbo plumbing look painted black. Could pretty easily pull off a mad max look. Oooooo ideas… Supercharger lookalike, that feeds the wood gas … Electric solenoid activated just like the movie…ok back on track sorry bob :grin: sorry my inner rat rodder showed himself

5 Likes

If im understanding your proposed plumbing, once you open the woodgas side, 6ou would llose all the manifold vacuum to draw through the carb.
Another idea i had was to use a hand throttle,perhaps attached to the shift knob.

2 Likes

If you are talking about my drawing Andy, once the throttle is full open and you need more fuel you can open the carburetor and close the air supply valve a little causing the vaccum to keep drawing. Same as a 2 pedal operation. The timing would also have to be moved back.
Bob

2 Likes

Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask if there are collapsible carburetors in the world in which the carburetor itself and the damper block are made separately?
Such carburetors are very common on equipment from the USSR and Russia.
So, I achieve good work on gasoline and wood gasez by installing a carburetor between these two parts, a spacer into which gas is supplied and having an additional air damper. Gasoline operation takes place with the air damper fully open and the gas supply shut off. Gas operation occurs when the gas supply to the carburetor is shut off and the amount of air is adjusted with a flap in the spacer, while the air passes through the carburetor. With this design, it is also possible to operate the motor on dual-fuel simultaneously.
If you need photos, I will publish.

5 Likes

We like photos. Is that how yours are done?

2 Likes

Hi Jakob, who are you talking to. If it is me, then I have not done this two pedal in one yet. Because the only vehicle I have with carburetor is my motor home.
Bob

1 Like

I was talking to Joni. Plus 20

2 Likes

Joni in the USA/Canada separate section gasoline carburetors were common up thru the early 1960’s. This allowed for system selection choices. And usually the lower section was like yours pictured cast iron.

Then like your right-hand one shows; mid 1960’s an on, the lower throttle plate was incorporated into the fuel bowl lower half.

Now for a throttle plate section fuel injection throttle bodies are the easiest selection to find for free on set aside junk cars.
S.U.

3 Likes