U. S. A. Cross Country trip

Both sides of the border are worried (for good reason) about tree-killing bugs and disease. Ashes, charcoal are obviously heat treated, and not a problem. They are also looking for folks importing goods without paying the proper duty and taxes.

3 Likes

I would think charcoal should be little concern for border officials. The unit could be run on that crossing the border. Lumber, unless stamped and as full boards is bound to be troublesome.

You may need some sort of portable chunking like Wayne had done, to fill supply gaps

4 Likes

Call a Canadian border control office.

5 Likes

Hey, Garry is on to something. You culd haul a hopper or two worth of charcoal with you to drive over the border on wood. If wetened, it will act the same as wood in your gasifier, with better range (more energy dense). Once you find a suitible spot over the border you can prepare your wood.

4 Likes

I figured charcoal would pass Just wanted to know what y’all thought about it . I could fill the hopper with charcoal or run petrol but I like charcoal better.

7 Likes

I am considering adding Argos into the cross country trip. We have a commitment on the last week of May and a deadline for the middle of July. I am thinking of leaving here a few days before Argos and go from here to Savannah Ga to Tallahassee Fl then from there to the Gulf then come back home. Stay home for a day or two and prep for Argos Leave from Argos to Detroit get a picture at the boarder and turn around and come back to the Lemler’s in Bourbon. Max out on wood there and head for Dr Larry’s in Corvallis Oregon. I will have to find cabinet or carpentry shops willing to give me wood along the way between Indiana and Oregon. Go to the coast and get a picture on the beach in Newport Oregon. We might possibly take a side trip to Seattle and East Wenatchee that all depends on the time. Then from there head back to Home in Lineville Al. If any one has any thoughts I would like to here them. This is the link to the route I have in mind . https://goo.gl/maps/Ar1hWBcJLq1D95Pd9

7 Likes

Hi JacobN.,
If you opened-up and looped the west end of your trip it would not add too many miles and much better find-wood-shops opportunities.
Cutting farther north across Montana, northern Idaho, northern Washington state. Loop past the two very helpful currently driving Washington state guys. Then out to the Pacific at Aberdeen/Hoquium. Then follow old highway 101 down the WA/Or coast until you cut back to Corvallis Or.
Be mostly all wood timber country and wood products country once into western Montana then.
MANY then with woods willing to share for a peek under the hood of a woodgas hotrod.

Regards
Steve unruh

5 Likes

This is another Idea of a route. According to the computer it would add 4 hr of drive time compared to the other route. This route will take more days because if I go to peoples houses I am going to want to see around if they don’t mind. Bill might can tell me a closer border town I Just picked Ft Francis because it was obvious. My Idea is to ride up from Argos in caravan with Kevin and then go to Bills the next day or the day after that, That can only work if they are willing to put up with us that soon after Argos :grinning::grinning:
I would have to find wood in Montana or North Dakota to be able to make it to Bob Mackey’s In East Wenatchee spend a day or so there and then go to Mike Gibb’s place in Seattle. We would Probably leave there and go to Dr Larry’s in Corvallis. Then take a day trip from there to Newport And back. Leave larrys and hopefully be able to carry enough wood to get to Louisville Co to Rindert Wesseling’s place then head to Somewhere in Missouri or Arkansas where hopefully I can find some wood, then leave there and come home. That is a lot of miles and a lot of hours behind the wheel but it sounds like a lot of fun. This is all theoretical still, no plans. If that does not work for anyone in the route please let me know.
https://goo.gl/maps/8tVA53St17mihQZv6
https://goo.gl/maps/nekckkPp6DA6qRKB8

P.S. Dad,Luke and Naomi are on the plane headed for chicago. Tomorrow morning they will be on the plane headed for Ethiopia then another connecting flight to Lusaka Zambia. From Lusaka they will take numerous buses and trucks and taxis to Ichande’ Congo The

8 Likes

Hi JacobN.
There once was an active DOW member in Northern Idaho. Search him up as a possible stopping point.
The North Dakota driving DOW member hasn’t posted up in a while. A rural living welder/artist.
Search up for him. The two older DOW versions had some memberships maps.
These guys do both burn wood for heating.

Touring in May is the low point of annual dry stored woodstocks.
Plan ahead by asking ahead for the for-sure set back wood fuels you will need.
Regards
Steve unruh

3 Likes

That’s going to be a cool trip. Wish I could ride with you.
Rindert

1 Like

Your first route had you coming by my place twice . I was thinking of all the chunking I was needing to do. Not a problem if you don’t mind burning 2X material. I work at a truss plant.

5 Likes

What city do you live close to in SE Nebraska? It might be a welcomed stop.

3 Likes

Lincoln. Plus 20 characters if you drive I 80 you will be within 2 miles

5 Likes

You are welcome anytime Jakob. Are you planning to stop in and see Steve U when you are West?

2 Likes

Maybe depending on where he lives.

2 Likes

I could change it to this, It is almost the same amount of miles. I might possibly need to stop at Wayne’s for wood then, but I could probably make it all the way home from Tom’s.
I found a mini barn shop in Helena that told me that I can have all the wood scraps I want especially in the month of June. https://goo.gl/maps/VojXFh241mEth9rA9

3 Likes

How much wood would you need for me to process?

1 Like

If we go this route 800-900 lbs. I would load about 1000 lbs at the Argos. I hope that Kevin and Tyler would have enough wood to replace the 300 lbs I would burn getting to their place from Argos. If they have that I should end up at your place with 5-6 hundred pounds of wood and it is about 1300 miles to my next fuel stop in Helena. I Guess I could load up 5 or 6 hundred lbs of wood at Kevin’s and that would mean I would only need between 6 and 7 hundred pounds of wood from you. I guess It kind of depends on what you have and how hard it is to process and what Kevin has and how hard it is for him to process wood.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Allso are you getting around 1 1/2 pounds a mile with loaded trailer or have you tested that, and how dry or seasoned the wood is, maybe some states allow state land dead wood cutting if checked ahead.

3 Likes