V8 Chunker

I didn’t bother trying to listen to the noise because I wouldn’t be able to tell you anything helpful anyways.

My untrained but OCD eye did notice uneven wear on lower bearings: 1, 2, 8, and possibly 4. I think I saw some on the corresponding uppers as well. My tablet isn’t liking G+ pictures (on either of 2 browsers or G+ App) right now though so its really annoying to try to check and then get back here to comment.

Good eye Brian. I’ll be replacing all bearings early next week. Pretty sure they would have lived anyways, but I may as well replace them while it’s apart.

I don’t expect to wear out another set of bearings. The engine will see extremely light duty in this application.

loose flywheel to crankshaft bolts, cracked flexplate and loose windage tray in pan. all knowen problems
with GM and chevy.

Found the knock - the oil pan is bent. It’s not by much, at least visually - but it created a high spot in the windage tray that is hitting against the crank. I’m not sure I can straighten it.

Anybody in KY with an extra oil pan? :slight_smile:

Ha! Ha! Dave Bloom gets the prize.
I nominate him for a free one year Premium member extension.
S.U.

Even better that its a simple fix!

I see I wasted my vote but I’m glade , should be a easy fix.

New oil pan is on the way - don’t laugh when you see it. Apparently all the regular ones go for $20 at a junkyard – Amazon let me have this one “used in good shape” for $15, free shipping.

Bling time y’all! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQ6E9I

triple chrome wow!
You’ll have to wear sun glasses while chunking

A chrome oil pan is easily good for another 20 HP. The chunks will be flying.

Chris you are better off with a used GM pan than a Tiwanise triple chrome plated one that kinda looks like what you want but will not fit or seal like the real thing. If you do go with it I would grind the chrome off the gasket sealing surfaces so as to have half a chance of getting a fair seal. I have paid a lot more for aftermarket pans and never fit like an original. Just my opinion others may of had better luck.

Hey, Chris if you have any problems with your Chunker Transmission this video will be sure to help out.

Denny

Got my trailer axle welded on. Had to narrow it down by 23.5" to fit the chassis. Yes, those are blocks of wood, reducing the spring rate.

Hey Chris, be careful when you rev that engine. You might need a roll bar with all that torque :slight_smile:

Poured rain most of the weekend which killed any real progress. But I did test it out on woodgas today… it runs great.

The coffee can pictured is a perfect fit to the air cleaner circle on the carburetor. Maxwell House plastic can. Bungee holds it in place with puffback release. Sure it looks goofy… but works quite well, for this purpose. There’s a hole cut on top that’s taped over, to control the air mix. This setup needed no extra air, so there’s some leaks to locate.

1 minute video. http://youtu.be/eCzcOR_vA_g

Nice Chris!
I could hear the excitement in your voice on the video.

1 Like

Hey Chris I’m digging the air box. We have a saying up here nort of hy 8" purdy is what purdy does." and we all know the best things in life are free. Glad to see you are making progress.

Sure sounds good now!

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the video !

It seems you and I are not as patience as Don. I see you have plenty of duct tape also .

BBB

That did sound good. The ratio of success to failure among this group must be 100:1 or better, and every success just spurs the rest of us on. Thanks Chrisky.