Veggie oil instead of bar oil

Interesting topic.

I have used many oils, specialy if l happen to run out of bar oil. Never a problem on the saw but l had never considered health risks. Also, all the oil you buy gets literaly dumped on the ground eventualy, that cant be good… specialy on a pasture or feald.

Steve, l generaly agree with your food is food philosophy but there are exceptions. I think this is one…

Goran, l never concidered oils clogging up the sistem either. I am to cheap to buy the expensive bio oil :smile: so l never had a problem. But my father does. I will warn him.

It seems what we need as chain oil then is a highly saturated oil. More unsaturated, more prone to oxidation/polimerisation.
Off the top of my head these popp up. Peanut, coconut, olive oil. You US guys have a lot cheap of peanut oil right? Here its rather rare, and a bit pricy… l need to make a detailed market analisis on what l will use in the future :wink:

Edit: saturated fats do freeze at higher temps thugh, a nother things to concider! But at least the peanut oil doesent seem to freeze solid that fast, so perhaps not a problem.

6 Likes

I read something that said peanut and olive oil were a ‘dry oil’ so maybe they meant saturated fats. I refound the thread.

This is the thread. but it is interesting because some guy was claiming to use dawn dishsoap in his. “I’ve used it with 1/8th cup of Dawn dish soap to a gallon of oil without getting any lumps or deposits from the oil. Didn’t harden on the bar or clutch cover either.” then went on to claim you could find recipes all over the net. Which so far, I haven’t really looked because I haven’t figured out exactly what I am looking for. :slight_smile:

Then some guy said ‘He ran peanut oil in his mill and it cleaned up better then canola’

Then one of the last posts was some guy saying lubrizol was designed as an additive to veggie oils, but the kicker is it is only available in 55 gallon drums and it is only 90% biodegrable but only mixed at 15%.

2 Likes

You are on the money it is monosunaturated fats.

they use over 65% oleic acid content in the triglicerides.
Then they add an polystyrene amine to it as an antioxident, then in the later patent they change it.

According to this patent:

The later patent

obviously this is only one way to go about it, but if it is the oleic acid content, and they did actually GMO Canola, for higher oleic acid content, then that would explain it.

We have quite a few in the US, because we produce much more food then we can sell to the point the market prices drop and puts our farmers out of business, and countries don’t allow imports because it puts their farmers out of business. Biofuels end up to keep market prices up which helps keep land prices up and slows to some extent urban sprawl. it gets weirder because while grain imports are banned or restricted, animal feed is usually not restricted which is high protein feed supplement made from the distillers grain.

Instead of using MTBE as a fuel oxygenate which was only made in qatar, and they kept jacking around with the prices. We switched to ethanol as the oxygenate with the excess corn and the distillers grains we could distribute globally.

3 Likes

Apparently only 3% in canada and 5% in the US of Canola crop is now Non-GMO. They probably make it roundup ready or something, but they may have modified a few other things as well.

3 Likes

The vast amount of GMO is pesticide resistance. The problem is the result is a plant that lives with the pesticide but also absorbs it into the plant. Recent studies have shown the pesticides in food products. Which is why Europe has banned certain foods from the United States. I forget which products i was reading about last year that was in shortage in Europe but surplus in the usa. If was something weird like sunflower oil. It was something I thought of as a speciality cooking oil at anyrate and the issue was trace pesticides too high in the US crops to export to Europe.

4 Likes

I was just wondering if you could thin vegetable oil with bio diesel in the cold? There must be a solution to it because vegetable oil is used here in NH for hydraulic oil in any construction equipment working on bridges to avoid leaking oil into the river below. That has been the EPA requirement for a very long time.

3 Likes

I thought of that myself years ago. But then i thought it was trivial compared to the leak of one bad gasket in an old farm tractor or hydraulic coupler that gets a slow leak. I cringe every time i have to add hydraulic oil to a tractor now.

4 Likes

you can add diesel to it, but someone somewhere mentioned that they used canola oil and like it better in the winter because it is so thin already. Then switched to dino oil in the summer.

5 Likes

I ran used vegetable oil in a truck, a tractor and even a space heater. Honestly - it has more issues than you mentioned. One is that it can be very detrimental to certain elastomers.

When I ran the used veggie oil in my Fordson Dexta tractor, I set up a separate in-line fuel filter. For simplicity I used a urethane fuel line commonly used on ultralight aircraft. In the aircraft application it was typical to see at least 2 years of service life before the line would change from transparent blue to a more opaque green color and it’s outer surface would have a myriad of micro cracks in it. At this point it would have gone from essentially unbreakable when new to being able to easily pull apart or cut with a thumb nail.

When the hose was in contact with waste vegetable oil, the life span was reduced to only 7-10 days.

It is possible that vegetable oil could damage some seals or hoses on your chain saw.
Another concern is that good quality bar oil has a “anti-slinging” agent in it that helps reduce how easily the oil is thrown off the chain.

9 Likes

That could be a concern on different saws. I think mine only has one seal that goes against the bar since there isn’t a pump or an adjustment for it. it just dumps oil anyway, then it can run out while in storage. I just thought it would be cheaper and less flammable since it is going to dump anyway.

The biggest drawback I found was when I was reading up on peanut oil, and the rodents were attracted to it but for storage you have to drain it or else it gels up anyway. I don’t think rodents are nearly as attracted to canola oil as peanut oil though. Given peanut butter is my go to bait for mouse traps. :slight_smile:

I still haven’t finished looking at information on it.

3 Likes

The only non-animal oil to consume is cold pressed coconut oil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyGCfg61JT4

6 Likes