Victoria's Corner

PTO chips or pellets.

I am of the impression that woods that burn to ash quickly don’t make enough char bed. You may get the pyrolisis gases bur not the CO.TomC

Could be…There is one way to find out!

1 Like

I run softwood chips… goes to dust like char fast… still works.

Hard to tell what size chips you have pictured, and how bout those sticks, twigs?
There are lots of different size pie plates???

Herb,

Check this out at about 2:00

It will give you a good idea of my fuel size.

Stephen

1 Like

HI Wood Gassers,

My turkey is in the oven so I have a moment to play. David Siedschlag, of Night Hawk Manufacturing sent me this nice box of ag residue pellets to try.

http://www.nighthawkmfg.com/TT-PMequip.html

It’s part of my eventual goal of running large farm equipment on just ag residue. These pellets are made of leaves, soybean straw, and corn stover. They are REALLY nice!

I am going to take these to school to show the faculty so I can get the full resources of the University of Maine’s engineering department behind the project. We may have a whole new generation of wood gassers coming shortly.

Stephen

7 Likes

What happened to David Siedschlag? We haven’t heard from him in over a year. Is he still working with wood gas and his truck?TomC

Seems like a bad case of life getting in the way of wood gas.

I gate when that happens… it has a way of getting in the way of all the fun stuff. Good to hear he’s still around and kicking though

HI Wood Gassers,

I am still around. The rumors of my falling into my gasifier are greatly exaggerated. Teaching at UMaine has simply taken up a lot more time than I expected. Fortunately, over the summers I can work on anything I want as long as it has some remote student training aspect. Engine control systems fill the bill very nicely and have received department approval. Victoria is going to college.

One a separate note, I am doing a wood gas demo at the Seal Cove Auto Museum again on June 6th.

I will have the Gas Station Lite running her generator:

If you would like to see Victoria do her thing or the UMaine compressed natural gas snowmobile, please come out and join us.

Stephen

3 Likes

Nice, what % of rated load will it carry while maintaining 60 hertz?

1 Like

Probably about 25%. For more I would need to advance the timing.

2 Likes

Hi Wood Gassers,

On 5/3 I am going to be doing a demo at the University of Maine’s Crosby Hall.

https://umaine.edu/mecheng/crosby-laboratory/contact-information/

My boss actually WANTS me to bring the Gas Station Lite in to do demos and show the students. I will also have the lab open on 5/13 during commencement but I will be greeting parents and grads so time to talk wood gas will be limited.

Feel free to stop by to check out the Gas Station Lite and the ag residue pellet mill project I gave the students. They were tasked with making a .5"ODX.75"L pellet from ag residue to try to get the ash to blow through and prevent clinkering.

Stephen

3 Likes

Hi Guys,

I am getting ready to try leaf pellets. My students built me a .50 X 2.0L pellet mill.

as a graduation project. The pellets came out quite nice. For our open house on 5/3 I am going to bring in the Gas Station Lite and see how they run. Hopefully the larger size will allow the ash to blow through before it clinkers.

Stephen

6 Likes

Looks like they made a good mill, I bet those got nice and hot in process

Do the leaves need to be ground up before pelleting? If so how fine and with what kind of grinder? Talk about renewable - this is it!

1 Like

They are still playing with keeping the dies hot. Preheating to 240F got everything running nicely.

2 Likes

Don,

No grinding required. The guys oven dried the first batch of leaves and said they turned into “leaf flour”. They actually had to add water to get a nice hard glossy pellet. That was COMPLETELY unexpected. They have a good video showing steam pouring out of the top of the mill in operation.

Stephen

1 Like

Hi Stephan,
I think we’d all like to see the mill and video. They did a great job of manufacturing the pellets.
Pepe

1 Like