Volume of Charcoal to Gasoline equivalent?

I’d like to figure out how to make some sort of gasifier heater to replace our propane furnace in our central heating system. We also have a fireplace in our house, but we rarely use it, because it’s pretty worthless as a space heater. Bad design, and I hate having it, but a real pain to remove.

If I could figure out a good way to make a wood gasifier that could have a heat exchanger to replace the propane furnace, that would be really good.

Might look at a Wiseway stove and convert it to drop the charpellets. Unfortunately the only leverage I have to attract investors that I need is I must keep some tech out of public domain.

Hi Abe , on the hopper size , how long at anyone time away from the house are you riding your Kawasaki ? if you are just short runs around the property you can get away with a smaller hopper , in the early days a 5hp mower would run for 30 mins in a 20 litre drum before getting too hot , longer runs then larger hopper .
on the fire place , have you thought of putting a slow burning combustion stove in there with a wet back , that will run hot water through hydronic radiators around the house ?
Dave

1 Like

That’s an interesting unit. I wonder if I could figure out a way to integrate it with out central heater system.

Hi Abe , on the hopper size , how long at anyone time away from the house are you riding your Kawasaki ? if you are just short runs around the property you can get away with a smaller hopper , in the early days a 5hp mower would run for 30 mins in a 20 litre drum before getting too hot , longer runs then larger hopper .

Usually 10 minutes is the max it runs at one time, but during the day, maybe 30 minutes total if there’s a lot to do, not all at once, several smaller trips throughout the day. Most days, it runs maybe 10 minutes a day.

I’d like a hopper big enough that I didn’t have to fill it every day, if possible. Once a week would be perfect. Basically, the equivalent of 2 gallons of gasoline would be enough, I think.

I was estimating needing a hopper of around 15-20 gallons.

no, I haven’t, though that might be a possibility. The space is not that large, even thought the footprint of the thing is huge.

http://batchrocket.eu/

If you want to do it yourself. Very good results, clean burning and if you want you fix yourself a heat exchanger behind it to heat the rest of your house.

1 Like

Very cool, thank you for sharing!