Vulcan Gasifier

Hey all, well for the first time we are ahead of the game. We are getting the 2016 models ready for pre release this year. Next year we are going to revert back to just two versions of the M-Series the (M-Series I and M-Series II). Next years M-1 will be based on what is now currently the M-II with the 8" hearth and the 2016 M-2 will be based on the current M-IV with a 12" hearth. We are very pleased with this years M-IV’s performance; so not much is changing for the gasifier / reactor portion. The big changes for next years M-Series is the filtration. We have come up with an easy to service system that will allow the full cleaning with minimal disassembly. The filter tank now integrates the complete filtration into one unit, but is still modular in its design. So replacement parts will be simple, easy and inexpensive to replace. This will also allow us to offer different materials for certain portions of the filtering system later down the road. I am going to build an aluminum condensor core later on to experiment with. This will be a thick wall aluminum tube condenser, even if we went with 1/8 wall tubes this would still be more effective than 16 ga mild steel. Aluminum has a unique property that makes it dissipate heat faster than it can absorb it. But that will be an experiment for a later day :slight_smile: The cyclone is gone for next year, instead a two stage filter will take its place and should prolong the dreaded full cleaning services. There is a simple coarse filter placed before the main filtration with a bin for emptying coarse ash debris and then a finer filter is placed at the top of the condenser to catch anything the first filter misses. We are going to explore different non combustible filter medias for this. Insulation and lava rocks are the first things we are going to try. In addition the wheeled chassis kit will be standard again and new for next year will be the automated grate and hopper agitators also standard equipment. The arduino mixer may also find its way as standard equipment along with other advanced automation we are working on as well. We will need to develop the O2 mixer with the narrow band sensors and then I think it will be cost effective enough for us to be able to offer it at minimal cost added.

In the pics you will see our grate reduction design. This is a simpler two stage reduction system that is similar to the ES versions. The grate is not fully vented and you can see we have a sill placed in the reduction skirt. Above this is the first stage down draft reduction. Along the side ash builds up here creating a natural insulation, along with other theory. The lower portion the gas is then pulled in a cross flow direction. Rather than going straight down and packing the gas and char is pulled to the sides loosening the char bed while maximizing carbon exposure. This has allowed us to double the size of our reduction while improving flow. Something that was not anticipated is there is a dramatic reduction is ash yield. We used to have to clean the ash out about every four hopper loads. This has about doubled, we can run all day and not have to worry about it.

This hopefully will be the last design revision for the M-Series for many years to come. We will continue to make this machine better and better with more advanced automation. This along with advanced manufacturing methods are what we are working on to get the 2016 M-I and M-II developed for retail. As soon as we get our manufacturing to this level and the electronics to make these machines self run we will approach retail sellers with this product. How cool would it be to see a gasifier on display at your local Cabela’s?!?!!

The ES- Models I am still working on. The ES-4 version is pretty well ironed out. Next is the 5 kW version, I am going work on reducing its cost dramatically. In order to do this I will need to design this with some options, an air cooled engine vs the very expensive liquid cooled option and also offer it in an AC version. The liquid cooled Kohler and all the components for the DC system is what really drives the cost of the current machine. I can cut the MSRP down to around 12k for this guy if we go with the less expensive air cooled engine and AC system.

Also in the pics is our ES-4’s massive reduction bell :fire:

7 Likes

Hey all well a change of plans, This new M-IV is getting a re badging for next year. We are going eliminate this design for the Micro series and launch this as a new product line. After doing a very thorough BOM it was clear we can not offer this design any smaller for any less of cost. The entire line uses the exact same components and labor is only reduced very little when building smaller versions. So we are going to just build them larger instead, but they will no longer be classified as a micro and the M-IV really is hardly a micro anyways. So we are going to launch the Flex Series product line next year. We will start with this current machine the Flex Series -1 and it has an engine range of 5 HP on up to 30 HP as tested. This will feature all the new goodies as shown the picture.

As for the Micro Series past machines have well out grown the intended market price range. So we are going to look at a complete redesign and possibly open source it here “The Vulcan Challenge” if I get the thumbs up. We will only build one version of this going forward the FX will take over where the M- series is leaving off. The new micro will most likely be a pellet or small fuel machine. The criteria is 80% of the parts must be off the shelf available if not all of them. Total cost parts cost no more than $350.00 and must run an engine for 1 hour or longer with no intervention.

I have already sourced a lot of the parts from McMaster Carr and plan to start building one in the next month or so. Im hopping the MSRP will be around $500.00 to $800.00

8 Likes

Looking forward to following the evolution of your offerings, Matt!

As a side note, the CNC plasma is finally operational after installing a new parallel port stepper controller. Now work can begin on the truck!

Billy

Nice!! If you have any issues let me know Ill do what I can to help

I performed the first test run on this thing and it is just awesome. The filter worked just as I had hoped, this is a type filter that the dirtier it gets the better job it will do. The only downside is you need a fireplace vac to clean it and upper filter for the condenser will need daily cleaning. It can be done manually but a vac is just a much easier and cleaner method. But this beats the full cleaning needed on older system every 600 hours. On this new system, you may never need to do this. Drawing the gas through that big tank really helps in aiding gas cooling too.

The pics are taken every 15 min or so, I ran for about 1 1/2 hours may longer didn’t really keep track of time. But this is from a virgin fill up to the end when I shut it down.

5890.jpg" width=“648” height=“364”>

5 Likes

I wanted to take a moment to thank Matt for his generous contributions to the DOW community. His insight is very valuable.

Thanks Matt! :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Hey all I picked up this genny today from Harbor Freight for a customer. We are going to fit our system on this guy with our electronic mixer controller. Im very impressed so far this thing is very well made HF did a great job. If the engine runs as well as they say they do, looks like we have a winner. We are planning to add this to our product line next year instead of building our own. I just can not compete with this and just makes more sense. This will greatly help us produce this portion much faster than building the entire system. All around this seems like such a great machine for wood gas, these engines are ranking as top notch contenders and if they do go bad not a big deal, they won’t break your bank. I have a ton of work to get done this week and am itching to dig into this thing. Hope to start tearing stuff apart this weekend :fire:

2 Likes

Spin on filter?..

No its actually kinda complicated they are using the cooling fan as sort of like a turbo. Its pretty cool, but when we are done it wont have that no more.

1 Like

Looks like a nice welder/plasma cutting generator,are you wood gasing it.

Yes this will be added to our product line. This will come as an option for our Flex Series Gasifier making it a turnkey system ready to run off the delivery truck!

I have three of their engines. I hope to look at their durability to get a rough MTBF figure. Also looking at rebuild cost and ways to enhance durability. Might be cheaper just to buy another.

1 Like

Exactly! that is one the criteria. Durability should be the same any other engine in this class. This is made by Lifan, they also make parts for Honda this is why early engines shared parts.

1 Like

I suspect that they’ll last as long as any engine in its class… keep us posted though just the same. If believe lifan makes engines for bmw…

1 Like

Loncin builds bmw engines… just the same, China can build decent stuff too if you’re willing to pay for it.

1 Like

Nice looking drums,getting rid of the barrow look,Those V8 generators look real nice,all though not on my budgit,what would the v8 set up cost,they look like about 50 k w for powering big buildings.

Hi Kevin, this is a 2016 pre release of the new Flex Series - I gasifier system. We are rolling back the product line to just two machines for next year. The new Flex machine and our ES-IV 25 kW and 50 kW version. Our core development has matured for both of these machines, so we are thinning back the product line to focus primarily on manufacturing and process. The Flex Series will take the place of our earlier offerings, this generator packaged with the FX-1 makes this a turnkey system and we are going to offer our big hopper we produce for the big machine for the FX-I as a stand alone add on as well. This big hopper will extend run times out to min of 8 hrs. Later on advance electronics will come to the FX-I that will have a self lighting system. This will be completely automated so lighting things with a torch, taking off caps and turning valves will all be things of the past. To run the newer versions you will simply turn them on with a start button. Cell phone apps will then come later. All this is in preparation for retail markets, for retail the machines must be this advanced in order for them to be marketed.

Thanks Matt,what size motor will the one in pic be best suited for.I agree on the automation,A lot of the folks with the interest in this stuff need it simple as possible as there memerys are slideing with age.Or they are the other way,they want it push button,with automatic shut down when low on wood.What is the ss in the middle of hopper,Thanks///

This machine will run 5 to 30 hp engines. The SS band is a service cover, there is a cavity behind that gets packed with ceramic insulation and also exposes the jetting system on models with the externally removable jet system.

my thoughts on automation tend to go this way… I think it’s wonderful if it makes it easier for you to run your system as long as the automation isn’t necessary for the system to actually run. If it can break, sooner or later it will… more likely sooner with me… as long as the gasser still works well with out it, awesome… if you have to have the automation to make your gasser work, it’s time for a redesign… and hence why my systems have been built the way they have been built.

4 Likes