Waste oil Gasifier?

Ryan,

Gary is THE charcoal guy. He is on this forum.

Here is the Kalle:

http://www.hotel.ymex.net/~s-20222/gengas/kg_eng.html

Stephen

1 Like

Hi Ryan, the charcoal section is in the small engine section under charcoal gasification. You can also check out the yahoo group " charcoalgasifier" some pictures there of the unit. Basically an updraft charcoal gasifier with the air intake occurring through a vertical tube from the top.
David Baillie

Thanks,
Here is another question for you all.

Has any one used a pressurized storage tank to hold gasses for later use? and is this even possible? say you made wood gas on site and filled a propane tank on your truck with it, would the dilivery be the same or am i just dreaming?

Its been answered many many times… Not enough energy density in woodgas.

http://forum.driveonwood.com/search?q=compress%20gas

1 Like

I don’t know how far Brent got with his oil burner, but his project page is here 460 bronco OIL GASIFICATION BUILD

1 Like

Hi Ryan, If you want to use waste oil to run an engine, probably the simplest method is to filter it, mix with some kerosene and then use it to run a diesel engine. If you want to use charcoal as the primary energy source then waste oil can be use to boost the energy density of the charcoal gas. My 8hp Gravely tractor is fueled with charcoal gas but a fluid drip using waste oil is used to boost the hydrogen content of the gas. It really makes a difference in power. The oil is just dripped from a container into the air inlet that terminates in the hot charcoal. The oil is vaporized as it travels down the pipe with oil vapor hitting the hot charcoal.
Kind of fun watching it!
Gary in PA

3 Likes

Gary, you had that oil drip set up with my chunker at Argos if I remember correctly? I couldn’t tell the different from your gasifier or gasoline.

1 Like

Hi Bill, Yes, I was using the oil drip. Water or any other hydrogen rich fluid also works. One benefit of oil is it doesn’t condense like water and cause oxidation (rust) If excess oil is fed to the gasifier, a portion of the oil will vaporize and enter the engine as a vapor. Kind of like gasoline.
Gary in PA

4 Likes

Using any waste oil in my water/steam coil works as a charm… it also reduces the core temperature if needed.

Long time ago they used a device to make so called “carbureted water gas”. mixing the fumes from hot oil with the gas from the gasifier. Not sure if that could be done with old engine oil …

I must try the oil in my plastic waste set up :-p afraid it will blow the lid off …

Thanks Gary. I was now thinking about an oil drip added to the gasifier after reading other users posts about adding a bottle of oil to their fuel.
I’ve been away from the computer for a bit. I’m happy to hear You have done it before.

I have about a 70 mile commute for work one way. Also on my commute I encounter a large incline for approx 2 miles. Right now I have a little gas saver car (35 mpg) and it slows down to about 50 from 75 without down shifting from 5th gear. Or if I hit the hill at about 85-90 I can stay at about 70-75 all the way up.

I know I will lose 30% of my power in any vehicle When I switch to a gasifier. I’m not attached to my gas saver either. I do miss having a full size truck. I would much rather drive a little slower for next to nothing.
My father has a wood shop. There is usually some scrap wood there for fuel. And always sawdust. Sawdust would seem to burn to quickly…unless there is a way to compact it that isn’t too much of a pain. My guess probably not worth the effort. Does any body use it?

Is there a calculation for how much cubic fuel produces how much wood gas?

1kg of wood 15% moisture content produces 2.185 cubic metres of gas or there abouts

2 Likes

Or…1lb of wood at 15% moisture content produces 35 cubic feet of gas

3 Likes

Now does 35 cubic ft of wood gas convert in anyway to gallons of gasoline?

1 Like

I would say 16 to 20 lbs of wood equals a gallon…more or less

2 Likes

Hello Ryan

Here is a link to a test we did a few years back

http://www.driveonwood.com/library/auburn-test/

2 Likes

Hi Wayne,
That is one comprehensive testing compilation, very interesting and surprising. Thanks for posting.
Pepe

My only suggestion is to incorporate a Thermo Cracker to a gasifier to crack the compounds down to usable fuels.
I am making a super sized version of this to use up my waste oil and get usable fuels out of it.
Not me in the video just for educational purposes.

1 Like

I consider ‘Mr Teslonian’ is a good intro to wood gas and has paid advertising for his edited videos.Questions will go unanswered.
Drive On Wood is real life shared experiences. Thermocracker included.

2 Likes

I personally consider him a quack… just my opinion…

5 Likes

I liked his video in that it was interesting. However, I think he uses a lot of energy to create a little energy

2 Likes