Water Heater Ideas

We are lucky in Eastern Canada so far as there are no water rights issues here.

As well, very little of my infrastructure will be permanent (concrete in ground) so in Nova Scotia I don’t need any building permits either

1 Like

When I am more than slightly inebriated and soaking in the hot tub the operator skill may be lacking. Lol

1 Like

Do you have any plans on building a snorkel?

1 Like

Consider a Banki / crossflow turbine, possibly more efficient, and certainly more compact (for winter housing). Also being higher rpm it will require less gearing to spin a generator or ac motor without as much pulsation. Also Banki turbines can easily be made sectional for varying power outputs on same axle.

Build to acceptable standards, R60 in the roof, and heating from the roof is zero issue. Roof with lighter colour pre coated sheet metal, and much less yet.

Counting on trees for shade is always sketchy, as when the bush burns the buildings in it go with. If it’s going to be in the bush, aim for stucco and sheet metal.

As for heating the tub, a floating heater will tend to heat the top layer. You need something to either circulate the water, or a heat exchanger at the bottom. Using the water as a dump load for a micro hydro system might not be a bad idea, but I think the wattage will fall short. Wood is best for heat anyways, discharge mother nature’s free solar batteries… :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll have to research that. Never heard of it.

I don’t have a lot of head so that’s the deciding factor.

A little 12v circulation pump would not be a big deal for the hot tub

2 Likes

Banki - crossflow are suitable for very low head, although any system needs as much head as can be got to increase potential power. The blades can be easily fashioned out of sections of PVC pipe.

2 Likes

Good Morning Guys… The very best way to heat water cheaply (even 400 gallons) and fast is to build a firebox and then you simply install a used gas water heater directly on top of the firebox, they work great and you can get them used from plumbers doing upgrades…The design is perfect as gas water heaters are made to surround the water with heat and it has an exhaust tube right up the middle of the tank…Also if you will inject heated secondary air above the flame there will be no smoke, it is like a hybred gasifier…The last gas water heater I bought cost me $25.00 and then I just ripped out the all of the gas controls and the bottom sheetmetal and then set the insulated tank directly on top of the firebox… Works like a champ…

4 Likes

That would work but I’ll have a hard time finding a gas water heater. We dont have natural gas or propane lines running to our homes so no gas water heaters.

1 Like

Just find someone off grid they have gas water heaters

2 Likes

That’s a possibility if you can find someone. But around here in Nova Scotia it is actually against the law to have your primary residence completely off-grid.

In order to have an occupancy permit you have to be connected to the power grid. Nobody says you have to use the power grid power, however you do need to be connected.

2 Likes

Maybe the tank from a oil-fired furnace that also makes hot water might work.

2 Likes

Or an old pressure tank from a water system, some lined or galvanized tank you can run a flue up, and put in a diffuser…

2 Likes

Or an old cook stove with the water coil built into it. I have one of those I should hook up but I don’t want to try and heat the front of the house with it all winter long.

3 Likes

I doubt a cookstove will heat enough water with enough efficiency to do the job. Also that system would probably have to be drained after each use, not sure how handy they are designed for that. But any circulating system will have the same issue. Why not just go the redneck hot tub heater way, and make an immersed heater, maybe on the principle of a rocket stove? My dad built a trough heater like that, it’s done the job for years. A rocket type stove, especially one fed with pellets or similar would be intermittently fed, and not displace a bunch of water, so not needing to weigh a ton, heavy wall tubing might be enough weight to keep it on the bottom. Given the heating requirement, it might be 5 or 6" 1/4 wall, and able to work with small wood chunks…

2 Likes

Yes I am really leaning towards the snorkel type immersed wood heater.

A circulating pump underneath of the Stone from the bottom of the tub up to a little chamber where the stove sits, the stove heats the water and it comes down through a sluice gate that allows the same amount of water Out that the circulating pump is putting in and it could even fall down over a little waterfall into the hot tub

Another thing to keep in mind is that the tub will be filled and drained every weekend.

Pulling fresh water from the river so that I don’t have to sit in a tub full of chemicals.

1 Like

A fountain would tend to exchange the heat into the air.

I thought a bit better about a rocket stove, best to use thin wall for the chimney, if weight is needed to keep it sunk, add weight to the bottom…

Although, extra metal in the combustion area might be useful, as the water will tend to suck out the necessary combustion heat. Or line with refractory. Also an inclined exhaust stack might be good to increase heat exchange, though a certain amount of heat would have to go up the chimney or there won’t be enough draft. This can also be improved by making the chimney longer, no reason it has to be short, as long as it can be handled.

1 Like

All really good points. I guess I would have to see just how effectively the stove heated the water and see if it would handle the water flowing down over a small water fall

1 Like

My thoughts are go out to the camp after work on Friday immediately start filling and heating the water and hopefully it would be hot for a dip before bed. So say hot in 4 or 5 hours

1 Like

Something like that is what I would do too. I would start with a “pocket rocket” made out of a five gallon steel bucket ballasted with rocks in the bottom so it will float without tipping over. This will give you a quick way to determine what size heater you will want. A better looking unit could be made out of a big stainless pot that you might get at a restaurant supply store.
Rindert

2 Likes