Wood (gas) heated greenhouse

it has to build a positive pressure in the hopper as long as the chimney is cold. Once heated, the gases are evacuated and the nozzels suck in fresh air. :thinking:

It’s great, I love this technology :+1:

3 Likes

Well the chimney is never realy cold becouse its surrounded with hot sand and the heat accumulates a couple of days.

If the hopper lid is opened just a couple of mm it draws air in so about half of the air is drawn in trugh the top and half from the bottom.

3 Likes

That’s what I call fine tuning :smile:
If your kiln behaves simular to my downdraft boiler I think you will discover it will burn a little different every time. With proper tight stacking char won’t climb much up into the stack. With crocked wood or some criss-cross airgaps you will probably ashive the best result for your purpose.

I hope your peperonis can stand their new climate :smile:

3 Likes

Indeed, the criss-cross pattern is what l do. Actualy l just toss the logs in :smile: not fun doing any stacking in a red glowing metal box…

6 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
this heater is a great idea for using the otherwise wasted heat during charcoal production, plus it is able to be run continuously. Very inspiring and thanks for sharing it!

7 Likes

Hi Til! Havent heared from you in a while. Whats up in Germany?

Eaven thugh wood is free l still feel bad wasteing the heat.

5 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
yes, I haven’t posted for long but still checked DOW from time to time to see what’s going on.
I’m doing well, but due to family and work there is no progress yet in my case :frowning:
Well I hope this will change next year and doesn’t end up like other good intentions for new years eve :wink:

I would also feel bad wasting the heat, that’s why I like it!

7 Likes

Hi Kristijan

I repair my greenhouse and I take advantage of this to install a wood heater like in your greenhouse
for the flue that passes under the cultivated soil (about 6 meters in my case)
I thought about installing an old iron pipe of 6 or 8 shoots
According to your experience is this a reasonable diameter?
what diameter of chimney have you buried in the earth of your greenhouse?

Thierry

1 Like

6 meters? That is close to 20 feet! If you heat it in the fall that should last all winter :smile:

2 Likes

Hi Thierry, good you got to it! Be sure to burry it deep.
I am not quite sure what you mean with 6 or 8 shoots. Culd you put it in cm or inch?

Wery good idea on steel pipe. This is the only mistake l made, l put in a 5" wood stove enamel chimney pipe. Its put together in 1m sections. No good! Moisture creaps trugh the seams, dust, heat and soil pressure cripled it.

It is wery important to make the flue easyealy reachable for cleaning. It will collect tar when fired cold and later when heated up it will collect dust. Allso make a “lighting hach” to aid you at startup. Just light a bit of newspaper to create draft.

Ha, Don, not far from the truth. I fired it up before winter for a few days non stop, the sandstone cellar wall some 6 feet away from the burryed heater was warm.

6 Likes

I’m talking about diameter in inches (google translation do not like spelling mistakes :wink: )
thanks for the advice to make me think about access for lighting and maintenance

1 Like