Wood supply

That is the best I’ve ever seen.

I think that was the best home made one I have seen beyond whole log autoprocessing. It moves a lot slower then most people want, but he was -very- conscious about safety. The Grapple/winch just put it over the top. If you want to nitpick it, I would say the trailer floor needs to be a bit lower so you aren’t throwing wood up. And the splitter should fold out of the way for unloading.

1 Like

This stuff is free. Is it too small?

Those flat lattice strips when cut into 3 or 4 inch pieces will have a good chance of gluing themselves together in the hopper with tar unless it is mixed good with thicker rounded stock I think. It would make good charcoal though. It does look like there is a pretty good mixture of shapes and sizes though. I believe I would try it. Can’t beat FREE.

3 Likes

Hello Robert .

Free is hard to beat !!

If the wood is too small for the gasifier and it doesn’t come up to a good temp there may be a possibility of making tar. If so you could narrow your restriction ( higher temp ) to compensate for the free small wood :blush:

4 Likes

Chunks from stumps!
Some good looking wood chunks being produced in the first few minutes of the video:

2 Likes

What does a week of 90+ temps say to a woodgasser?

“Better get more wood chunked…”

5 Likes

Looks mighty fine. Glad it’s working good for you.

Bring that thing over here. I have been impaled by the table saw a few times now already.

1 Like

The table saw and cut off saw are scary ways to process wood.

2 Likes

Yes, they are. When cutting on the miter saw and the piece pinches a little it throws it about 60 feet.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m finding the main safety advantage of the chunker is that you start off 3 to 6 feet from danger, and you can choose each time how close you will cut the last piece. My safety margin is about an 8" stub.

4 Likes

I had enough plastic fertilizer sacks and thought I would never run out of them . WRONG !!

I bought a hundred more bags and filled them today but it didn’t put a dent in the wood pile

6 Likes

That boggles my mind, I think I have about 15 total ready to roll. I am such a wimp!

1 Like

Wayne, you’re the Opec of wood fuel. It’s amazing how much you have in reserve.

5 Likes

I have enough wood to show that it CAN work; you have enough wood to show that it DOES work!

4 Likes

The wood pile at the chunker is getting a little smaller but the wood piles in the barns and shed are getting bigger .

The wife and I bagged up a hundred and twenty bags today and ran out bags again.

105 bags are on the trailer going to storage . :relaxed:

BBB

4 Likes

Another use for a baler gearbox?
https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xat1/v/t42.1790-2/11164428_757904334327032_874069312_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjg1NiwicmxhIjoyMTk1fQ%3D%3D&rl=856&vabr=476&oh=a144c6e7fdf318518887b42f063fdb27&oe=55E08A2B

3 Likes

Very nice “build”. Is he related to your?? I thought about doing that with my bailer but decided there were "splitters a plenty that I could rent. Not many chunkers available.TomC

I don’t want to step on any bodies toes but that is the easiest spitting wood I’ve ever seen in my life, it practically spit itself, even the one that got in late spit like nothing! I want to see what it does with real wood! I think it would stop that little motor or slip the belt, if it doesn’t it would pop a couple teeth off! Just one mans opinion! HerbH
Please excuse me if that’s to blunt!

4 Likes