Wood supply

That boggles my mind, I think I have about 15 total ready to roll. I am such a wimp!

1 Like

Wayne, you’re the Opec of wood fuel. It’s amazing how much you have in reserve.

5 Likes

I have enough wood to show that it CAN work; you have enough wood to show that it DOES work!

4 Likes

The wood pile at the chunker is getting a little smaller but the wood piles in the barns and shed are getting bigger .

The wife and I bagged up a hundred and twenty bags today and ran out bags again.

105 bags are on the trailer going to storage . :relaxed:

BBB

4 Likes

Another use for a baler gearbox?
https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xat1/v/t42.1790-2/11164428_757904334327032_874069312_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjg1NiwicmxhIjoyMTk1fQ%3D%3D&rl=856&vabr=476&oh=a144c6e7fdf318518887b42f063fdb27&oe=55E08A2B

3 Likes

Very nice “build”. Is he related to your?? I thought about doing that with my bailer but decided there were "splitters a plenty that I could rent. Not many chunkers available.TomC

I don’t want to step on any bodies toes but that is the easiest spitting wood I’ve ever seen in my life, it practically spit itself, even the one that got in late spit like nothing! I want to see what it does with real wood! I think it would stop that little motor or slip the belt, if it doesn’t it would pop a couple teeth off! Just one mans opinion! HerbH
Please excuse me if that’s to blunt!

4 Likes

I agree Herb. Usually they are testing some soft wood and without knots on you tube videos. Other than that, it is a cool set up. It was a little scary watching his hands placing the logs on the splitter.

2 Likes

Yeah those gear boxes are pretty darn tuff but chunking is different then splitting and both are a lot different then what they are designed for, they are built for real strength only about the last 4" of stroke when the arm is almost fully extended and then it is a rather cautioning push (hay) following through to fully exstened, you start shocking those boxes to much and you will have teeth broke off the piñon gear! Don’t want to be a party pooper but hay is one thing and hard wood is quit another! HerbH

7 Likes

This video seems to be gone now. :confused: Do you happen to remember the exact name so we can try to find another copy?

I copied and pasted the URL off facebook twice but it goes away somehow.

Beautiful morning

I just have to do someting funny such a nice day

Load secured and off we go

On the big road towards the house

Chunker liked the small limbs

6 Likes

Hi JO Those small limbs on the top of your load and then the chunks in the bin, make be envious. Those limbs would be perfect for my chunker also. I don’t see the shattering of the ends of the wood where they a severed. It might be the type of wood or the moisture, but mine shatter on the edges, something like the pages on a book only much thicker. It makes for very fast drying. I know you are working on an 8" WK style gasifier. I think you said your restriction was 3-4". The chunks look a little big for that size gasifier. The length is determined by the gearing and spacing on you Rebak. Can you shorten up the pieces. Other wise you may have to stick with smaller diameter limbs. TomC

Despite living in an area where there is a lot of logging, I am having trouble locating any “scrap” wood. My bro in law is still supplying me with free wood ( that is good) But all of his wood is Poplar and although when it is sawed and dried, it is hard to drive a nail in, I feel it is not a good hard wood for gasifying. A 50 lb feed bag holds 18# of gasifier wood. I have been scouting around for a source of hard wood. The wood industry has changed and they have NO SCRAP wood. I went to 4 wood manufacturing companies this week. They all are selling the scraps to be chipped up. My Bro use to give the bundles of “slab” wood away, but charged $10 a bundle to deliver ( people like the free part) Now the guys with the chippers are paying $15 a bundle and they pick up. Down near Green Bay I pass a company that has huge piles of palates that they are chipping in a big tub grinder. I don’t know what they do with the nails. A neighbor has a large fleet of close simi trailers. He leaves them at the many saw mills in the area and they blow the saw dust into his trailer. He takes it to his plant and dries the sawdust and trucks it down to Chicago. What are they doing with all these chips and sawdust? Is that what OSB board is made of?TomC

1 Like

OSB board, particle board (look at how much “furniture” any given Mall-Wart has and most of that is particle), paper pulp, “pressto” logs, animal bedding… You name it.

Sorry about your fuel shortage. I wish my 1947 Ferguson was up to a trans atlantic delivery.

My chunks are a bit shattered (some gets split) in the end, but not as much as from a rim chunker. I think I can live with that.
I’m more worried about fuel size. I think 3/4 of the chunks are from 1" to 2" in both length and dia. Some are smaller and some slips thru a little longer. Dia is never over 2" because the chunker says NO. Are you saying this is to big? A admit they look a little big on the picture. Or are you refering to my earlier rebak video? That was kind of showing off max dia and the chunker did struggle.
I can always hold back the limb, not letting the beast bite off full length chunks. I already do that with thin limbs. They tend to get a little to long if I don’t.

1 Like

Some logging is going on next to my place .

Small gasifier sized wood on the ground as far as I can see . I think there is 400 plus acres being cut .

2 Likes

Good morning Wayne K, I can see why you Alabama riders need 4/4 trucks,just too keep from sinking in the mud,lots a rain this year.did you folks get extra rain this year as we did here in Michigan,or did you get some of the drought from Texas? Are trees never got any bugs this year due too all the rain i think.Watch out for rattlers looking for new homes being that close.

Morning Kevin .

As far as weather we had a typical year. :sunglasses:

That look like a really neat sawmill Wayne,and no less not store bought, right?

1 Like