Wood supply

Where did you get the limbs to cut up. Looks like a lot of “brush” growing but not “trees”. It does look like a beautiful day. TomC

1 Like

Hi Tom, in picture number 2 to the top right is 20 acres of cherry trees just down and around the corner is a huge pile of wood from 20 years of cut out trees and yearly pruning, they have never burned the pile. Also I have a friend that cut trees down for people, and he brings the big stuff over, that’s the wood on the left popular and white birch, on the right cherry wood. Just cut it up and it’s ready to go into the hopper.
Our area is orchard country cherry, apples, pears, and peaches. Wenatchee still calls it self the Apple Capital of the World. Well it use to be any ways. Now it is Cherries. You can also get a permit to cut fire wood. Western larch, Ponderosa Pine, Fir, Black Pine, Blue Spruce . Lots of fallen trees along the roads in the foot hills of the Wenatchee Mountains. Wood is not a problem to fine here, I just need to put enough up for winter.
Bob

4 Likes

Looks like lots of work had been put into this! I like the office a lot.

2 Likes

I have found that one stays intensely focused when using a hatchet to split wood
Those beautiful views may be a distraction

2 Likes

Hi Bob,
I don’t know how I missed your pics above?? What a beautiful spot. Looks like you’re out of the city overlooking the Columbia River. What a view.
Pepe

2 Likes

Yes Pete, that’s the mighty Columbia just below the house I live just north of highway 2 on the East side of the river, and out side the city limits. Just minutes of driving to the mountains or orchards and farm lands. And it is hot and dry in the summer months, irrigation is need the grow crops.
Bob

2 Likes

Bob
That wood holder thingy needs some more pictures
I did not give you enough time to demonstrate it
Does it ratchet down to hold a bundle while you cut?

1 Like

Here are some pictures of my wood cradle. I can cut wood down to about 14" long, and then spit what is left. It has three concrete blocks strapped together with a cable hanging from the 2×4. Works great. I put a plastic garbage can under it to catch most of the wood being cut. Dump the cut wood onto my old rabbit pen the sawdust go though. Sort out the small pieces and put the into the funnel and down into my bag that is in a small barrow. The big pieces go to the splitting pile. Using a electric chain saw and keeping the chain sharp is the secret to cutting smooth and quickly.

I have been working on shed to put the bagged wood in. It is also going to have a wood crib attached to it to dry the wood if it isn’t dry enough. Then I will just open the shoot and the wood will fill my bags and stack them in the shed. Probably will build it next spring. I angled the roof to pick up some solar heat, should paint it black or dark green.

I am also putting up some roofing to keep to rain and snow out from under my porch, and will have a wood cut area under there, so when the weather turns to it wet/snowy mode I will have a dry place to cut up wood and store it. I will put my table saw under there, to cut up my demeional lumber. There’s a lot more to gasification then one realises, but it is all fun and worth the hard work. Speaking of rain it just started to rain here. Yha! I have my wood covered up.

Been wanting to do this dry place area under the porch for some time now. Wood Gasifiing is good incentive to get it gone.
Bob

9 Likes

I see the short bus stops at your house too!

3 Likes

That is a unique wood holder, simple and effective

The wood chunks can sure go away faster than they appear

I now have a HF electric chain saw but have not had a chance to try it out

2 Likes

Tomorrow I am going to get my Square Baler. A new project in the works. Does anyone want to quess what I am going to build?
Bob

6 Likes

You have no idea how joyful that video of your chunker makes me… That is almost the exact design I’m hoping to use for the chunker I’m hoping to make and I’m very glad that it’s a system that looks like it will work well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad it helped you :slight_smile: lts simle and effective, just be sure to get a thicker sawplate, mine is 2mm and when l chunk a thicker harder limb the blade bends a bit, sometimes strikeing the envil.

2 Likes

Looks like it is not hard to change blades, once a blade is shaped and sharpened! You could add an adjustable “stop” to make it easier to determine maximum length of chunks as you push the branch in, and possibly larger flat washers under the bolt heads to spread out the “stress” on the blade hub. Great and practical wood chunker design!

1 Like

Mike,
The blade can be changed easyaly.
I had a stop you mentioned, but it turned out unnesessery. It just stopped the cut chunk to fall down.
I actualy got an offer to build one of these for cutting limbs for firewood.

3 Likes

It was nice and crisp this morning. -5C (23 F). I fired up old Fergie and went knocking down a couple of birches.

There are 3 cabins on our property down by the river. The people using them in the summer asked me a few years back if could take down a few trees that blocked there sunset. I’ve been collecting firewood in that area for several years now. It just keeps growing back up.

Also nice golden birch limbs for the rebak.

Chunked the limbs when I got home. These denst birch chunks will be for special occasions. I know the little Rabbit will love them.

Time for night shift in the paper mill. I guess I’ll be able to sleep well when I get home in the morning at 6.30.

12 Likes

That double shift work will make you an old man
But wood cutting is mostly play

4 Likes

Are you calling me a Old Man!!! WELL… I guess I am, if you call 64 years old, a old man. Lol. Worked a lot of those shifts in my life time. Cutting up wood is a great way to play and go driving a gasifier vehicle.
Bob

4 Likes

I wish I had more of that young growth that you can just cut down and run through a chunkier. My trees are all 100 years old Talked to the guy with the band saw and he has said he will cut some of my logs into 2x3 sticks for my chunkier. He likes to work in the woods in the cold weather so I am waiting. TomC

5 Likes

Hi JO,
winter there already? We have warm 17c a few steps souther :sunglasses:

You have some thich birchtrees! You culd make good money here, its a wery wanted firewood.
How long do you tipicaly dry your eggwood?
Have you ever measured bulk density of your chunked wood? I zave never tryed birsh but my beechwood is about 330g/kg chunked. Oak about the same, l am curious about birch

1 Like