Woodgas for 70-120 kVa generator

So a generator is actually quite perfect? It runs approximately 1500 rpms so not idling, and only for starting up heavy electro motors it is using full power. I have a 100 kVA generator and when sawing it draws 30 amperes I think. If someone else is operating the edger it will take another 10A at most. I’m not an electrician but I guess it will be at most for 50% of its maximum output. If I run the generator I can turn on some vents for drying lumber or wood chips to reach a more efficient engine load if needed.

3 Likes

Well that’s what you shoot for
Below that efficiency drops and your just turning fuel into noise
Above 50 to 75 your making best use of your set and you have a little space for more

And build a big filter plant real big
Lots of internal volume so as loads change has composition is mixed and you have a little bit xtra time to adjust mixture if needed

And you realy need clean gas as always

1 Like

I started reading Petersons Builders Bible and there is stated that willow and cottonwood can be problematic because of the amount of ash. In my area there is most willow and poplar trees, so that’s the cheapest wood to get. When chipping I think 80% is willow and poplar in our region. Will it indeed cause problems or should I make a ash removal with augers or a conveyor like the gasifier boilers?

2 Likes

You would just need to clean the gasifier more often.

4 Likes

Koen, my exprences with the tall wind break type poplar we have here, different from the eastern poplar, is it makes ash. This ash like to plug up the charcoal bed above the grate. So it needs to have the grate shook more often. I need to mix the soft poplar with a hard wood (cherry wood) to get by. About 2/3 hard wood to 1/3 poplar.
I have a WK Gasifier and it slips charcoal pretty easy. But like Cody said you will need to clean under your grate area of the ashes more often. And shake the grate when needed. Soft wood more ashes.
Bob

3 Likes

Okay thanks. The name poplar is a bit confusing, it’s most populus Canadensis around here and some other Populus variants. To mix it with other, harder species is a good idea.

A small auger would be ideal for automatic ash removal, maybe I’m a bit too ambitious but I would like to make a automatic as possible unit. Auto feed and auto ash removal would be great. The boiler gasifiers like Heizomat and Kwb have good looking systems.
Are there people around here with experience with auto feeding?

1 Like

The only thing about automatic auger removal is you’d need to channel the ash so the auger can pick it all up, ash falls all around the bottom of the gasifier. Char and ashes especially fall around the edge of the grate, referred to as “Slipping”.

2 Likes

I have mentioned this before, there is something like 27 species of poplar. I have about 30 acres of tulip poplar which when dry it is hard to drive a nail in. It is my favorite lumber. It makes pretty good truck fuel.

5 Likes