Woodgas generator in Australia

The mechanical side of it is fairly simple it is the electronics side that is my problem.

1 Like

Finally got all the parts cut except a couple that they missed somehow but will get them done Monday.

Doesn’t seem like so many bits till you see them all cut out. It does include a Monorator, dryer and exhaust heat exchanger, so lots more bits than just a bare gasifier. I have managed to make a start on welding it together. Certainly will give me lots welding practice, thankfully I have a good MIG welder.

1 Like

I have finally got to light my gasifier, still got more work to do on it but could not wait any longer to see it burn. The bilge blower I am using here to suck the gas is not real good I can only get 50 MM of H2O, so I am not getting more than 750 degrees ATM. I am building an ejector now that uses a vacuum cleaner blower to drive it. Also need to motorize the hopper auger, now I have got this far I will be more motivated to get it connected to the generator ASAP.

Even with only a small amount of suction it only took a couple minutes till the flare would burn continuously.

2 Likes

Looking good Gary!

1 Like

Hi Gary,
I own a property in the Lockyer Valley Queensland. I would be very interested in a machine to burn Lantana and convert to gas to run a generator out in the paddock.
Would you be interested in doing a workshop?
Regards
Sue

1 Like

Hi Susan , is this what you have on your property ?

2 Likes

Hi Susan,

I doubt Lantana is going to be much good for making usable gas. You need chunks of wood 25 to 50 mm cubed. Plus it has to be reasonably dry etc… WHat do you want to do with the land after clearing the Lantana? If you are wanting to plant trees, you can plant them next to the Lantana. One good thing Lantana does is build up mulch improving the soil and also holds it together to help stop erosion.

3 Likes

I was thinking along the lines of burning it in a large retort and into charcoal and then using in a simple fire gasifier system .

3 Likes

Gary few years later now… did you end up getting somewhere great with this project? Can you let us know how you went?

2 Likes