Woodrunner Volvo's

Altought it sounded a little like some kind of single-cell organism, i had to google that :smiley:

Sean, are you a proffesional biologist? :astonished:

7 Likes

No. But it is that time of year, that I am looking at soil biology again. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Some progress.

I get this lid of, without cracking it, needed some heat. Now to wire-brush the threads.

Welded in this piece of pipe, my thinking is to let the gasifier sit on the ball hitch, and with two mounting points higher.
Makes it easy to lift of the gasifier, for example if Buford T Justice have some opinions.

10 Likes

Some more,

When i was out making charcoal, my eyes fell on this: an old military hot-air tent heater, a “diesel-hog”, maybe some useful parts?
I took the innards out of it, burn chamber and heat exchanger made of stainless steel.

The innards: im going to cut and weld this some to make the hot filter housing. The outer heat exchanger is going to be a primary air preheater.

Tested some cheap thermometers i got from amzon, these works with Type-K thermocouples, i did some test on extending the thermocouples, i was unsure if it would work because of different metals/ joint temperature, but using another thermocouple and splice the same wires seems to work :smiley:
And for another important job: getting the volvo up and running, only the parking brake left to fix, and get it running good on gasoline again…

I’ve fixed a lot of fuel injection systems, and even work with it… but this REGINA system gives me a nervous breakdown :rage:
Most old Volvo’s have Bosch system, but some have this, and it seem don’t even the old mechanics learned how to troubleshoot them.
It started with in-tank fuel pump broke: replaced.
Now it won’t start cold, but wetting the plugs, starts on ether though.
Tested and measured everything, found a doubtful temperature sender (not for the cluster) replaced. Still no difference.

12 Likes

Göran, I don’t know if they are the same, but I found my Volvo runs just as good with both air temp sensor and throttle position sensor unplugged. It seems the most important input is the intake manifold vacuum.
There’s a thin hose coming from the intake manifold going up to a small galvanized box on the firewall - close to the brake servo pot. Maybe Regina doesn’t get the vacuum message. Just saying - you probably already know about it.

7 Likes

I agree to that, JO, that vacuum sender can really mess up, i had a good one somewhere, but can’t find it. Anyhow that is next thing to test.
Only thing i haven’t noticed trouble to start with that sensor, but…

6 Likes

Lots of place under the hood in the engine compartment. This is a slant four cylinder engine?

5 Likes

Yes, this is Volvo’s last “real” engine (my opinion :roll_eyes:)
2,3 liters, slant four, single overhead camshaft.

8 Likes

Dodge built a slant 6 cylinder engine not a over head cam, a very good engine. But no people wanted a V-8 under their hood in their cars and trucks. Bye, bye to that engine. Now they have 4 cylinder engines and V-6.
I can not think if any American manufacturers make a 6 cylinder straight or slant engines for cars or trucks anymore.

6 Likes

My first American car was a 1973 Plymouth Valiant, that started it’s life as a police car here in Sweden.
When i was 17, i bought it for $75, with no engine, i found a good 225cui (?) slant six at the junkyard, it came out of a 1976 Plymouth Volare.
I really liked that engine, ran so nice :star_struck:
Remember the inlet manifold, it looked like a candle holder.

11 Likes

Hello Goran, your Volvo is a type 740, probably the Volvo 940 bodywork is the same, can you give the dimensions of the luggage compartment, the height from the bottom of the spare wheel to the top of the trunk opening, the diameter of the space for the spare wheel, the distance from the rear window to the rear wall. Here is a Volvo 940 for sale for a small price and I’m already fantasizing about a water cooled wood gasification unit mounted under the trunk lid,…
thank you

9 Likes

Ill try to fix that Tone :+1:
The bodies of 740 and 940 is much alike, maybe lid is little smaller on 940?

5 Likes

Yes, I looked at the 940 as well, it is bigger and better than the 850 for a build but I think the 740 is even bigger (the trunk lid that is) because of the straight rear window., @JO_Olsson perhaps can chime in.
I think the 940 is a good one to build in.

5 Likes

You’re all correct, the trunk lid is somewhat shorter, but sits higher on the 940.

2 Likes

Here you go Tone, i hope it helps :smiley:

Width of trunk lid 1440mm

Length of trunk lid 740mm

Lenght of opening 625mm

Spare wheel well around 650mm

Depth of spare wheel well 190mm

Depth from trunk “threshold” including spare wheel well 570mm

Depth from rear window, including spare wheel well 690mm

Lenght from rear window to trunk threshold 625mm

Just to show the spare wheel well is about 200mm off-center, to left.

This shows the fuel tank placing, this inner threshold is in line with rear window.

9 Likes

And some about my volvo gasifier.
I searched around at home for something for the grate, with no luck, i asked a friend at the welding company close to work, hey: i got what you need, this cut-out piece stainless, acid-proof steel, extra heat resistant. Just to say thanks alot. :smiley:
As it was pretty heavy, 10mm thick, i was affraid my plasma cutter maybe wont bite it…

Well, it did, seems i got some cutting to do this weekend :smiley:

As the holes tend to become a little conical when the plasma has to struggle, im going turn it around, so the holes are wider on the underside, maybe does some good to avoid easy clogging.

10 Likes

here is a sketch of a gasifier that I could install in the trunk of a Volvo 940

Thank you Goran for the pictures and effort :clap:

11 Likes

Very nice Tone, but just to be clear - the 940 and 740 - they don’t have the same trunk meassurments. But I have no doubt you will make the gasifier fit anyway :smile:

9 Likes

I noticed my plasma struggled a bit in my ss grate too as I cut it and punched holes for chains but I threw it on the This-is-me-learning-how-to-use-a-plasmacutter pile but now I see that it could be the machine too.
Clever to use it to your advantage, I’ll use that too :smiley:

Tone, I’ll look forward to your watercooled build if you can get your hands on the car :smiley:

7 Likes

Sweden. They are so rich there that all the scrap is stainless. :grin: I’m not jealous.That stuff is too hard to work with. Project Farm review of carbide burrs Goren. Make weird holes round. Probably doesn’t make them better but a thing of beauty endures forever.

The cheap set of burrs he recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/Carbide-JESTUOUS-Diameter-Grinder-Grinding/dp/B07VQDNGXC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=21KP4ZB1GDTF1&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.YVH-YzndPJktOdzaxmGQt9RCIlR3FEuSPwqqKfkJxfAFg8kOK8ycdmMcFJ1I5levnbJFW519y4jCcTwuoz-HCZziltajXPrE-4fUAaZzt7px58DZqnqsqUxPz_ERSkSrEPv83R768hrSMZU5aHiRwArlKU68EcBaeYCyDtt5_wt2Xnsv8QZnoKgx6ScxCgpJVenGJ2Y9vqts69PjXZTuX7xS8DYSk5613R-MOL7Adhs.8ofDBZtebYskBZ8WFeGX1wrLAUddLDTImhGrnTnpqCA&dib_tag=se&keywords=carbide+burr+bits+jestuous&qid=1708641842&sprefix=carbide+burr+bits+jestuous%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-3

7 Likes