Working toward food self sufficiency

this video covers 4 ways to cover the raised beds. If you want them to tilt like they do in the video you posted. You might use the conduit method, but one side use like 1" pipe and weld the rebar to it. On the other, use something lighter like pvc pipe. You could also run rebar through the pipe to make it more like a hinge.

1 Like

Starting to become a small pile, alternating grass and sawdust, collapsing all the time, so it seems to work.

7 Likes

I take the pitchfork and jam it into the piles to allow air in. Then take a handful of healthy, nice smelling soil to introduce the bacteria you want and sprinkle it on along with some lime and water it in. You could also throw a few worms in as well. Then it becomes your bait pile for your future fishing trips. But it will probably work fine just like you have it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve taken some soil from the old compost thatā€™s next to me and mixed it in.
I thought Iā€™d try first not to stir, I have quite long grass.

2 Likes

That soil will work. It should have a nice sweet smell to it. Poking air holes in, is kind of a lazy way of flipping because it breaks up the crust that blocks the air exchange, and prevents the moisture from getting in.

3 Likes

Some good information about natural fertilizers. Kind of annoying otherwise.

4 Likes

it is interesting but why not just get a probiotic pill with lacto bacteria in it already then multiply it in the milk or cottage cheese or whatever.

5 Likes

What came up for me is
" Russia has barred ā€œcultivation of genetically engineered plants and breeding of genetically engineered animals on the territory of the Russian Federation,ā€ mainly to protect Russiaā€™s slowly reviving agricultural sector from becoming dependent on seeds produced legally in the US by big biotechnology firms like Monsanto."

4 Likes

btw, I donā€™t really blame Putin. The issue with GMOs, is an issue in the US as well. Monsanto is now owned by German chemical manufacturer Bayer, and a number of other seed companies and agricultural supply companies are have been bought up by canadian companies.

Then you have the really weird patent laws on the GMO seeds. where you canā€™t just replant the seeds you harvested or risk getting sued.

2 Likes

Read the Labels

2 Likes

Well, it seems in the last 4-5 days potato blight took our potatoes, I have been afraid of that all summer. We had rain pretty much every day the last two months, according to a neighbour in our village in these two months we got just under 400mm (16 inches) of rain.
I tried to prevent i by keeping the grass and other stuff around it short to get as much wind through as possible but next year we are planting the potatoes further apart lengthwise so we get more ventilation to try to keep this from happen again.

This is what it looks like now.

Today i will cut the stems and take them away to keep it from going in to the potatoes, the stems are just starting to get affected and leave them in the ground for two-three weeks more to form a storage skin.
They should have been in the ground growing for something like three weeks more but I guess we should cut our losses and save what we can.

11 Likes

Johan, same happened to us, almost a month ago. But still, we got a record breaking harvest. 1600kg for now, and still a lot to dig out. Its a comunal feald but still l got enaugh to sell this year. I will post pictures later.
Guess what l wanted to say is dont give up, l was miserable too. But in the end all is good :wink:

12 Likes

Thank you Kristijan for encouraging me :smiley: I am too stubborn to give up this easy, already adjusting planning for next year for hopefully a better outcome. It seems like a pretty good harvest here too from what we have taken so far, about 15 potatoes per plant on the north side and about 25 on the south side not counting the really small ones.

What distance lengthwise between potatoes do you guys try to use? Are there disadvantages to planting further apart?
Iā€™ll measure what distance we had, we used the potato planter set once upon a time by my granddad and we never changed it since this is the first year we had blight but we havenā€™t planted this many potatoes in many years. We planted 50kg (about 100pounds) this year so it should be plenty even if we now have smaller potatoes.

7 Likes

I usually plant the potatoes as early as possible in the spring to avoid leaf mold, before the potatoes are ready, and have varieties that are resistant to leaf mold and brown rot, this year I have tried Carolus.

10 Likes

All right Kristijan! Still able to sell some! You gave up your daily job if I remember correct? Living your dreamlife now, congrats. It is only a few that are willing or able to do that, just like woodgas. Respect!

8 Likes

Yes, I read that Carolus is a resistant kind, I planted Folva which isnā€™t resistant but they are tasty.
Note to self for next year, only resistant kinds.

Those broccoliā€™s look really good :+1: :smiley:

5 Likes

Standard, 70cm wide and a foot apart. One feald has a rather poor soil (deep ploughing/reaping of tree stumbs) and the other is much better, yet still they averaged at 1/8 seed vs harvest. I generaly count anything above 1/5 as a decent harvest.

Small scale, garden style growing, l have had 1/17 as a record. But thats not realy doable at a scale. Great for early potatoes thugh.

For disease prevention? I dont knowā€¦ l have dubts. Spores are tiny and travel far and in great numbers. If they have good conditions they will take root no matter how far apart the plants are.

8 Likes

I have never grown a head of broccoli that large, Jan. Iā€™m having trouble figuring out your climate. All you guys are weeks ahead of me for these harvests. Another three weeks for my first crop potatoes. But I didnā€™t put them in the ground until the last few days in May. Iā€™m only going to get one planting of most stuff anyway so I donā€™t risk a late frost. Getting overwhelmed with cucumbers right now.

6 Likes

Yes I agree. By all means plant only resistant types of potatoes. Even if they are not your particular desired tastiest.
Wider spacing does help. Trying to keep the branch and leaf foliage trimmed up as TomH described helps.
The spores are somewhat airborne. But especially get in the ground, then come upwards carried by evaporative water mists. Water wasteful flood irrigations - NO spraying/misting - helps the most.
The BigAg under-the-leaf sprays became the only way down in our old valley any could get productive potatoes yields though.
I did too for a few years. Ptaash!! Conceded finally buy out our potatoes from far away grown in the upper dry lands of Idaho and far Eastern WA and OR.
The same for us for wheat and rice. From somewhere far away with favorable conditions.
Think of it the same as favorite ocean fish. We buy that out too.

I/weā€™ve learned to plant more carrots, different variety of edible beets (my favorite the mild yellows) and parsnips - whitloaf for our own local grown carbohydrates.

JohanM. with your weather this growing year you were more eastern bog-lands European, or bog-lands low-lands Western European.
Emulate their traditions. Tough, I know well; to change your tastes traditions and preferences.
Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes