Woodgas 2020.....AGAIN!

I am planning to start the first leg of the woodgas trip on Friday February 21st 2020. I have a few more mechanical repairs to do to the truck, and the wood needs weighed out and loaded. I am hoping to post as much of a live feed here as possible.

18 Likes

Hi Jakob,
I was glad to read about your Canada woodgas trip. I live
in the extreme north east corner of NY state a couple of
miles from the Canadian border and about 10 miles east
of Lake Champlain just off route 11 on the (156) Big Hill Road
in Mooers Forks, NY.
I would love to meet you. Do you have a definite starting
point yet? I would be willing to drive some what just to meet
you, man, or you could spend a night with us, have a hearty
breakfast and be off again! Please let me know.
Sincerely, Pepe

5 Likes

Good morning Jakob.

Wishing you the best on your trip. Wish I had the time to go with you .

Below are the pics you asked about .

12 Likes

What is your schedule where you headed first?

2 Likes

I replied on the other thread.

Nice looking Flat bed, i was thinking of building a flat bed for my old chevy around a wood chunk ? chip processor. Kevin michigan man.

1 Like

Good evening wayne is this jakobs dakota.? photo is blurred a bit on my end.

1 Like

Yes Kevin .

The above flat bed dakota and trailer is Jakobs.

1 Like

Thanks for reply, WAYNE thats a nice looking dakota flat bed fuel processor.

1 Like

Wayne,got any idea about how far that much wood will take him?

1 Like

Hello Glenn.

I think I should let Jakob answer that question on his truck and wood.

I know on my dakotas I usually plan on 1 1/4 mile per pound of wood if driving normal road speeds .

1 Like

With hauling that 1,600 lbs of wood I have been getting 1.3 pound per mile empty if I don’t push it to hard I get almost a pound per mile. Empty I run 65 - 70 mph 1600 lbs loaded I run 45 - 65 mph. I am hoping to get about 1200 miles out of that amount of wood.

6 Likes

Thank you, Wayne. So do you have an idea how much mileage you would get from a pound of charcoal or has Gary or Koen or anyone else related how much they get. Just trying to figure how much you lose in going with charcoal.

1 Like

Jakob, do you have an itinerary of your trip yet? How do you plan to replenish your supply? I have thought about this a bit. If one took the necessary equipment along with them to process the wood it would certainly make success in traveling on just wood more possible don’t you think.

1 Like

All the pre-planning details are on a thread titled (USA cross country trip)

2 Likes

You dont loose anything with charcoal, since its more energy dense.

2 Likes

Sorry to bump in, but with charcoal you get a little more per kilo? Wood around 1,2 kg/kW and char 0,8 kg/kW? But isn’t char lighter then wood? So more cubes to take with you?

Great trip Jakob. Easier to fill up with wood then making charcoal on your way. Have a save trip.

2 Likes

Glenn,

Regarding charcoal mileage: From what I’ve seen on DOW, some small cars perhaps 4 miles per pound. Small cars with 1.6 liter engine about 3 miles per pound. Gary Gilmore’s Ford Ranger pickup 2.3 liter engine got about 2 miles per pound according to his early postings. This may give you some idea of what to expect. Of course, these results may be influenced by the use of water or oil drip and/or addition of exhaust gas.

2 Likes

Steve
. So a thousand pounds would theoretically take you 4000 miles if it was a small engine like what Koen has done with his hybrid trike. Let’s say you were running a 5KW Onan generator which should be capable of 3KW running on charcoal. What do you think? Maybe it would be better for Jakob to start out with charcoal then switch to wood when the supply of charcoal was expended. I don’t think it would be feasible to stop and make charcoal but it would be to just gather wood. Of course you would have to have some way of drying the wood for it to be effective,like the heat from the gasifier.

2 Likes

Glenn,
This thread may be helpful when comparing charcoal to wood: “Wood vs Charcoal for Vehicle Gasification.”

2 Likes