Hey guys, Time to give you a status update on the 2004 Ford Ranger. Right now it is sitting in the driveway awaiting some upgrades. The rear brakes were fixed over the Christmas vacation when I wasn't feeling too sick to work on them, Fired it up to go back to work on Jan 4 and it just did not run well. Needed to use gasoline to help it along getting to work and then used gasoline to get back home, I found some water collected in the low spots of the hoses which impeded the flow of chargas to the engine, However, I do not think it was a total blockage. So what else could be the problem???
I'm also making an oil bath final filter to see if it can eliminate any soot reaching the throttle body, The gasifier was emptied and I found a small hole burned in the side of the fire pot. That should not have affected the gas quaility, but now I want to rebuild the fire pot and tuyere. Am thinking of making the unit a little higher to increase the amount of charcoal the unit can carry and therefore increase my driving range.
In the mean time, gasoline is CHEAP so the push to get this project done quickly is not as urgent. I'm also building a kinetic log splitter and that project has been taking up prime floor space for over a year now and has to get done!!!! and moved out.
Here is a picture looking into the gasifier at the firepot and tuyere at the bottom, There is several hundred miles on this unit and you can see the ash has built up around the tuyere. Every time I load the gasifier, I use a long rod to break any ash located over the tuyere. This ash can then fall down into the collection area and dumped.