1.2 Million Mile Truck

Saw a story at http://autos.aol.com/article/million-miles-family-truck-7-years/?test=latestnews&ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058 where this guy has put 1.2 million miles on his truck in the last 7 years. Got me thinking. If his truck gets 15 MPG average then he would have put in 80,000 gallons of gasoline in the last 7 years to travel that distance. If gasoline averaged $3/gallon over that period of time (just picking a nice number here) then he has spent $240,000 in gasoline. I don’t know about you, but putting a quarter million dollars in my pocket by driving on wood instead of gasoline sounds pretty good to me! I realize it may not have been feasible for this guy to drive 1.2 million miles on wood, but the excercise was fun and the numbers shocking.

1 Like

And assuming 1 pound per mile. 1.2M miles = 600 tons = 30 semi-loads of wood over an 84 month run. That’s about 1/3 of a semi per month. Not shocking.

476# of wood per day - Wayne, how long would it take you to cut, haul, chunk, bag and load 476# of wood every day, plus drive the 476 miles it would take to use it up? Not much time left for living . . .

But it all moot - if you look close at the still picture, you can see the DURAMAX label on the side of the truck.

I keep my wood chunks in old chicken feed sacks and I’m guestimating they weigh about 40 lbs. So if he were using 476# per day that would be just under 12 sacks of wood. I bet Wayne uses 12 sacks of wood on many days, but certainly doubt he does 7 days a week 52 weeks a year for 7 years. Yes that is a lot of wood!

Hello Alex,

If I was dealing with saw mill scrap , meaning the wood is already near the chunker and most sized to feed, the 476 pounds should be chunked and bagged in an hours time.

What would really make me sweat is to work the number of hours to buy enough gasoline to drive those miles.

476 miles per day is a lot of miles!! I had the occasion to drive over seven thousand miles in less than three weeks on wood and that was about all I wanted!

1 Like