18650 Lithium-Ion

Been thinking about giving some of these a try. They are everywhere now a days. In some ways easier to charger than my NiMH but more explosive.

4 Likes

They are very safe if handled and charged properly. Lithium Ion batteries (and the Lithium-Polymer batteries the model aircraft guys use: cheap, light and powerful) are great. There is no problem when using a SMART Charging system, and discharging as well. You can simulate a smart charger by keeping a close watch on the voltage as you are charging, and in whatever device you use them in, you must disconnect the battery once the pack is discharged to about 3.0 volts per cell. Then you can charge to about 4.1 volts per cell, then stop! You can’t run these batteries down to a low voltage, they will be ruined. If you try to charge a sick Lithium -Ion cell, that is when the smoke comes. Overcharge it? More smoke! :boom: :confounded:

I’ve read that the Li-ion is safer than the polymer. And like you said much easier to charge than NiMH. Time to order some to play with. Lots and lots on eBay.

1 Like

Comparing the two, I think the fast charging of the lithium is a big plus because a generator would only have to run for an hour or two.

1 Like

A more technical “White Paper”.

https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2016/sep/a-designer-guide-fast-lithium-ion-battery-charging

1 Like

Watch out for the cheap Chinese batteries they are not what the ratings say for power. You want Panasonic or Samsung definitely don’t buy the ultra fire they are a waste of money only about half the rated power. I looked into this last winter took apart a couple of laptop batteries and found most of the cells where good even though the battery pack wasn’t. I didn’t get very far but you can buy the plastic racks to build battery packs pretty cheap. I was planning on building an electric tractor and still might.

3 Likes

I’ve seen were the cell racks were printed on a 3D printer.

1 Like

Mike, looks like some down side to fast charging. Makes me think more about super capacitors for fast charging. Maybe the trick would be a little of all the batteries.

I think I’ll use the 18650 for my blower motor first then a led lantern conversion.

1 Like

Speaking of electric tractors, My dad has three electrac 36 volt electric lawn tractors he is looking to sell. They originally ran on golf cart batteries, but I think you could easily convert to better.

2 Likes

jeff I changed to lithium for the house its been 5 months and my generator run time has went from 4-6 hours a day to 20 hours in 5 months I would highly recommend they kick ass.

3 Likes

Andy, are those GE? If we were closer I would be interested.

Paul, you just sold me. Kicked me right over the edge!

there is a few videos on youtube where 18650 are used I didn’t go that rout so my setup cost quite a bit but its done and no messing around collecting and building and matching but the systems posted got me looking and I cant say enough

1 Like

Yes, Jeff GE. There is always Argos.

1 Like

This looks like a nice buy but I’m not sure what to use 36v for or it is possible to take them apart.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/172630688902

Well, vacation is now over. Last post before going back to work.

Looks like marine people have alternator regulators for these batteries.

2 Likes

Super-capacitors are coming on fast. Hard to beat the price of scrap Lithium-Ion battery packs for experimenting. I still can’t believe how fast these technologies are improving. Electric model planes now vastly outnumber alcohol/castor oil “gas” engines, and have Better performance!

3 Likes

This might be a good way to start. Pardon the pun !

3 Likes