1928 Ford runs on wood (June 26)

Sweet ride! Those models had manual spark advance already built in. That lever at 3 minutes and 50 seconds looks like the air mixture control. Nice rich smoke when he opened the lid. Notice how idle speed increased when he rodded the hopper wood?

1 Like

You bet? :slight_smile: No need to insulate with esbestice or something. The air gap is wide enough.

1 Like

You are absolutely right :slight_smile:

You know what you are talking about, I see :slight_smile: its a typical wood gas happening indeed.

1 Like

Congratulations DanielH.
Your one picture shows a wealth of details.
“The (control of the) Devil is in the details”
Regards
J-I-C Steve Unruh

1 Like

Last weekend, i drove totally 180 miles on wood, of which 118 miles were driven on Sunday with just three short stops to refill. Over 60 miles were driven on a highway at a constant speed of 50 mph (80 km/h). The theoretical speed is higher but with a Model A you don’t feel comfortable running faster than 50 mph. The car burnt a total amount of 220 lbs of coarse hard wood chips.

11 Likes

Wood gas people are ‘‘funny’’. You have a '28 car that when it WA new the owner probably would not have planned a one day trip of 120miles. Now we hang a wood gasifier on it and there seems to be no limit that we will drive our older vehicles. Tomc

3 Likes

Switzerland:
On September 20, 1928, 11 AM, a new five-seater Ford Tudor Sedan Model A, left the starting point of Zurich with two drivers, after the bonnet was sealed by the municipal office. After passing Lucerne, the car crossed the Grimsel Pass (7139 ft) and passed the Furkapass with an altitude of 7975 ft above sea level. The route then passed the St. Gotthard Pass (6929 ft) and then down to the Italian lakes. The car passed all the great cities of Switzerland and returned to Zurich on September 26, 1928, two o’clock in the afternoon, with sealed seals and after running constantly for 147 hours. This was done to prove the reliability of the Ford Model A.

The only limit is the spine :relaxed: and of course the gasifier should be correctly designed.

6 Likes

Nice car mr.Holzi. are you driveing this 1929 car on wood in 2017,& does the charco fall below the fingers of the cone shaped burn tube. Thanks .

I am not sure what you mean exactly. I have a cone that is close to the Imbert configuration. Please visit my homepage for further details. Best regards, Holzi

www.holzgas.ch

2 Likes

Thanks i am cheching your web site this week later ., I have ent followed up with tbe imbert designs.Thanks for the pic of the design. Thats unieq.