1928 Ford runs on wood (June 26)

Daniel Hagen is running his 1928 Ford Model A Fordor on 40 kg of hardwood chips and 45 kg ash blocks. Compression has been increased from 4.22 to 7.1 on the slow-turning 3.3 liter Motor. The downdraft carb is set up so the engine can run on either gasoline or woodgas. The car was originally a 6 volt positive ground, but an additional 6 volt battery was added (with switch) so 12 volts can be used for starting the engine. Lots of photos and write-up here: http://www.holzgas.ch/ford-model-a.shtml
It is in German, so you can get a rough translation of the whole website by using google translate if you are a Firefox user. I believe the Google Chrome browser makes it even easier.

10 Likes

he did a real nice job an that one would think it came that way from the factory. thanks for posting ray.

2 Likes

Hi!
“Holzi” is a master!
Max

2 Likes

Incredible workmanship! you just don’t see such pride much anymore. Thanks for sharing Ray

2 Likes

I’d like to know where he gets those threaded metal clean out caps those are sharp.

3 Likes

Looks like maybe European fire hydrants, or something from an industrial factory that deals with slurry.

1 Like

Wow that car is very nice.

1 Like

Hey all
On the holzgas.ch link above under the “Wer bin ich” tab there are three different woodgassed tractor systems shown.
Enjoy.
Thanks for this RayM.
S.U.

2 Likes

Thanks for the post, Ray. A beautiful car, in deed. I also love the pics of the build, so many ideas flooding in.
Pepe

1 Like

Hi there, sorry I was offline for a while. Thanks for all the comments on my Ford! The car is very powerful and I really like it to climb hills with it.

I created a folder on Model A Facebook Group with comments in English language.

Best regards, Daniel

5 Likes

Once again, this is really nice work. I checked out the Facebook link, and discovered the unlisted youtube video that Daniel uploaded in Dec. 2015 showing the Wartime Woodgas Training Film information. Outstanding video especially the part where the convoy stops, and a gasifier is serviced, cyclone is dumped, condensate water is dumped, and ash is cleaned out. Fuel is added. All the threaded caps have the threads brushed with graphite grease, and are re-installed. Even the rim of the hopper cover is cleaned. The chemistry part at the beginning of the firm is interesting, too. Recommended viewing! (It is unlisted on youtube, so I don’t feel I can place a link here, but you can find it on the Facebook posting.)

2 Likes

Thank you for this gem. Beautiful machine and lots of rare footage of how it was back then.

Dear all, thank you very much for your compliments. Due to some reasons, I cannot change my website to a dual language upgrade, but I optimized the site so that you can read it in English language through an integrated website translator. I hope the translations make moreless sense, otherwise please let me know. Just try it here:

www.holzgas.ch

Some movies can be fiount through my website as the wartime woodgas training film, others are listed on my youtube channel

2 Likes

Hi Daniel,
First of ally let me say l am amazed with your Ford. A work of art. But l gave a question. Why is oak not advised for motorfuel?
I ask this becouse l mostly burn oak in my gasifier.

Thank you Daniel for taking the time to convert to a language that others of us can understand. I have been a fan of yours every since I saw the first reports on your Cadet. Recent gasifications have been big and bulky, much like the ones on your tractors. I would prefer a small vehicle. Unfortunately, there are few small cars that would lend themselves to woodgas. Don Mannes has a Geo Tracker running on woodgas and most recent converted to charcoal. That to me is an ideal vehicle, but unfortunately they haven’t been built in several years and the ones that are still on the roads are rusty and the mileage is at the end of their life. Thank you again for your web site. TomC

Hi Tom, thank you very much for your words! Well, it was always my intention to have a vehicle built that is not just running but also good looking. However, a small vehicle with a small engine (that turns usually fast) is not a good solution as the power loss is just huge. The Kadett had 60 HP on gasoline. But this power was measured at 4500 RPM. Now wood gas burns very slow, so it makes no sense to turn the engine faster than some 3000 RPM. The max power on wood is therefore some 30 per cent less than the power at 3000 RPM, running on gasoline. Meaning that this car has only some 20 to 25 HP running on wood gas. Despite its relatively excellent power to weight ratio, it is a challenge to flow with today’s traffic. So in my opinion, an engine size of at least 2.5 liters is necessary. As far as I know, the Tracker has just 1.6 liters. A good idea would be to convert a diesel to spark plugs as these are slow running engines. Daniel

4 Likes
14 Likes

I bet that gasifier has esbestice around the burntube housing too keep it that cool next too the car body.he must be pumping or air daming air through the cooling tank tubes.excellent sounding idle.

Nice strong idle! I love the sound of that wood burner. Thank you for posting.

2 Likes

just cant click the like button enough .

1 Like