1976 MGB Charcoal Powered NO DINO new build

I took the MGB out for a spin today. She starts right up and runs good. Still smoky, but better, I think. I added more magic potion to the offending cylinder when I shut down.
I found some Bosch Platinum+2 plugs on clearance at Walmart, Squeezed the electrodes as close to the center as they would go (about .035).

Here is their propaganda:
More platinum in the center electrode with two yttrium-enhanced ground electrodes and a more powerful spark.

If you require smoother acceleration, better gas mileage, and optimum engine performance, Platinum+2 is the spark plug for you. Unlike conventional air gap spark plugs, Platinum+2 uses surface air gap technology. The spark of a Platinum+2 first travels over the surface of the insulator nose and then arcs across the air gap to a ground electrode for a longer spark, without increasing the voltage requirement. Plus, the yttrium alloy ground electrodes help to reduce gap wear and oxidation, extending the service life of the spark plug.

Only Bosch offers this revolutionary firing technology, which combines the advantages of platinum, multiple electrodes and surface air gap technology for optimum engine performance.

5 Likes

Yttrium! Yttrium! There’s Yttrium in them thar hills! :joy:

3 Likes

Yes, we will see how these fancy yttrium plugs hold up.
A few other thoughts–since my nozzle pipe passes clear through the reactor, I cranked up the water mist thinking that any extra water would just flow out the other end. I ran this time without EGR and my exit gas temp was up to 400F after about 30 minutes, so I think my extreme water mist was not enough to control the reaction temp. I would like to keep the reaction temperature to around 1000C, but I have still not found a reliable gauge to read the thermocouple temperature in the reactor. I look forward to more runs and more tests of temperature, power, water, EGR, clinkers, different spark plugs as well as moisture in the cooler and filter.

3 Likes

Snowing today, but decided to work on the MG. The weight of the reactor was causing her to sag in the rear. Added spring helpers so she looks happy again.

I also figured out that my reactor thermocouple polarity was backwards. So I hope I can read the reactor temperature now. I think my high temps on exit gas thermocouple during my last run may indicate air leaks.
My toes are cold so I’m calling it quits for today. I’m dreaming of summer and a drive to the beach with the top down.

10 Likes

Dont fret about the top down daytona beach, we all get sick of the cold rainy weather and wish for some real hot sunny days, dont last long here in michigan either. Thats a neat looking little working charco ride, probly the best way too go with the little old cars, my first car at age 15 1975 it was a 1967 or 1968 triumpth spitfire, I rebuilt motor, repainted. I sold it and left for auto school with my slant 6 dodge pick up truck, had a slide pin too hold the door shut, it run good at 80 or 90 mph back in 1977 traveling between indianapois indeana and pontiac michigan.

3 Likes

Slant 6 was a great engine. Had one in a Dart, a pickup and a van.
More snow on the way today, so I’m a little bummed out.
The exhaust-induced crankcase ventilation that I added to the MG was too aggressive, so I installed a gate valve in the hose and will adjust for one inch water column at 3000 rpm. Next is a full gasifier system check for air leaks.

5 Likes

Bruce I am not looking forward to this storm either. I had somone here the other day quiting on a solar system. Mostly I wanted to know if he would put it on the old farm house and if it could be a package deal with the roof I need to have put on. And now we are getting a big snow storm over a foot. Anyway he said ground based solar which I can do on my own.
The gasificer in that MG is very interesting. I look at it and think small tractor is probably about the same hp.

1 Like

I owned an early Dodge Dart, 6 cyl, stick shift. That car was solid, I called it my little tank. One of the best cars I’ve ever owned! Now all those cars are fancy little things that can barely take a fly hit and remind me of a cow at stool, udder crap.

1 Like

1800cc, 90 HP on petrol, 8:1 CR

1 Like

Great to see you are back to the MG!

Did you fix the bad piston rings? Diesel makes marvles!

Yes that truck really took a its share of punishment, it was my first road vehicle that i drove any distance.

A little update. I took the MG out for a drive today. I put the top down and went up on the interstate. She did 62 mph (3500 rpm) on the level and got up to 70 for a moment on a downhill stretch. I was running with EGR and water drip. The temperature at the cyclone inlet leveled off at 300F and the thermocouple below the nozzle was reading 500C. I know the reaction is hotter, but this will give me a reference point for adjusting the EGR and water drip for best performance on future runs. I’m hoping to install O2 and exhaust temp sensors in the future. I’m also going to add a twisted vane inside each of the cooling tubes to improve turbulence.

Getting the mixture right for starting the engine is a little tricky, but not too bad considering this car has no gasoline. I have to enrich the gas mixture a bit for idling when I come to a stop, but otherwise she runs smooth with good power in all 4 gears.

BTW, after trying various concoctions to free the stuck rings, I came across Engine Performance Restoration by BG made specifically to free rings (“in 10 minutes”). It is designed to go in the oil but I put it straight into the bad cylinder. The engine has quit smoking! I haven’t checked yet to see how much the compression has improved.

I’ll try to post a driving video in the future.

12 Likes

Looks good Bruce. Still too busy I see…

The mg looks great, good luck with it and your new power sourse.looking good.

Well, finally! It has been over a year since I started this topic and today was my first drive to work during rush hour. It felt good to actually show my coworkers what I have been bragging about.

A couple of weeks ago, I was having trouble with my startup fan and flare plumbing, so I replaced my 12 volt inflator/deflator with a 18 volt Ryobi vacuum/blower. The inlet and outlet are much bigger and allow for better hoses. It works great on 12 volts and with a PWM I can fine tune for a beautiful flare. Cold startup to driving is under 5 minutes.

Now that I’m comfortable with it, I hope to have my wife help me make a driving video.

13 Likes

Great news! How did you repair your sticky piston rings?
Cant wait to see it run!

from previous post:
after trying various concoctions to free the stuck rings, I came across Engine Performance Restoration by BG made specifically to free rings (“in 10 minutes”). It is designed to go in the oil but I put it straight into the bad cylinder. The engine has quit smoking!

4 Likes

On the way home from work a guy jumped out of his car at a stop light and asked me if the stuff in my trunk was a wood gasifier. I said “charcoal.” He asked if he could follow me home and we had a good visit. He had not heard of Driveonwood, so I invited him to come check it out. He has been thinking about building a wood gasifier for a generator.

16 Likes

Bruce, I’ll bet the guy was psyched as hell, when he saw that gasifier. OMG, there’s one!!!, there’s one!
Great story.
Pepe

4 Likes

My family is in town for a wedding so I gave rides in the MG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0EWqQou_80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRRxmFowa4s

12 Likes