1996 Dakota 4x4 v8 318 to 390 Stroker

Hey there Dustin,
This is going to be one of those out of the box experiments. I decided not to change everything at once. For now I am fixated on stroke and I changed that from 3 1/4" to an even 4" on all 8 cylinders of course. This required the use of special dish pistons to keep the compression at 9.8 to 1. Just by changing the piston to flat top the compression would go to 12 even 13 to 1 but I am not ready to fully commit to 105 octane race fuel as a backup yet. As well as the top end that will remain stock for now while I continue to run some tests. The cam has been modified on a hunch. I don’t have the number yet. Dodge didn’t have much of a selection without modifying the computer. Been there done that not planning on doing it again soon. I will release the data once proven. Pic. one shows the piston I have chosen to start my base line tests with. FYI parts guys sent the wrong bearings another delay should have it fixed on Monday.

Some engine specs.
390 stroker
400hp on 87 octane
9.8 compression
nitrous oxide on board will bring that to 500hp all parts built to that rating.
Transmission completely re manufactured all tough stuff put back in no worries about auto trans failure.

Planning to hit 150 MPH in this truck top end (I know but it is still a goal maybe I can get there maybe not will be fun either way).

BBB

1 Like

Nice! thanks for the specs, looking forward to seeing it all come together.

150 on wood gas? Do they make z rated mud grips?

Have you figured out what size firetube it will take to run that thing yet?

Can’t wait to see you get it going.
Marvin

150 ??? SFI certified cage, balancer, flywheel, trans blow shield or blanket, engine diaper, on board fire extinguishing system, 5 point harness etc. ----- just to begin with. Approved helmet, fire suit, gloves, restraints, & Hans device will be more expensive than the stroker!!

Hi Marvin,
Yeah that’s a negative on (z rated mud grips) will have to go with a road tire. Good news is both two wheel drive and 4x4 models have the same size rim. And I just happen to have a 2wd Dakota down here as well. Was planning to run the truck on a stationary gasifier before fully committing to gasifier size. My calculator says to go big. However I have seriously modified this engine (and that could change everything) if all works well I should be able to do more with less. Should be some good fireworks coming soon stay tuned BBB

Don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but you might want to rethink your numbers a little.

Start here: Calculator set for Dakota

That’s the Dakota configured pretty conservatively at 5000 lbs and 18 CdA. You can tweak the parameters some, but these numbers will be close.

Notice at normal speeds of 70 MPH the truck needs about 60 HP at the rear wheels (RWHP), we know from experience this is fairly near the limit for the standard issue Keith gasifier (when paired with the 220HP 318 motor.)

Now look at 150MPH.

You need at least 450 RWHP at the rear wheels. You’ll barely have this on gasoline. How will you hit this with woodgas?

People that scoff at safety equipment are usually the bench racers. Most people that have genuinely played with high power & speed for any length of time have had mishaps & were thankfull for all the safety stuff. Running on the street @ 130 to 150 mph is illegal and most importantly STUPID ------ This type of talk gives genuine hot rodders a bad rap!!

1/4 mile — 150mph is still hot rodding ----- name the street production autos in this category.

All I have too say is to popoyuihgj popogjhgf I am not interested.
As always comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Aside from that with the truck, Safety will not be ignored. ALSO NOT ANY OF THESE EXPERIMENTS WILL BE DONE ON PUBIC ROADS I HAVE EVERY IN TENSION TO DO THIS LEGALLY I don’t know if I can get the truck to run 150mph. All I am saying is that I a going to try and see what I can get. Thanks to all that have commented Sean More pics. coming next week.

Well one week turned into a month.
Should be road ready shorty!!! Very Excited!!!

Hey Sean ,

Thanks for the video .

Looks like you got it going on !!

Can’t wait to see the video of it blasting down the road !

BBB

Time to dust this thread off a bit. Been busy welding lately.

How ya been?
Conspicuous in your absence, you were :slight_smile:
Square holes and round pegs… Lookin good!
TerryL

Looking good Sean !

Are you building two trucks or planing a spare gasser . ?

BBB

Looking good Sean …

Hi All!!!
I have been great. Got the new shop setup and already completed a few projects. Glad to be back on woodgas again.

Terry
Yes indeed!!! How are you doing ?

Thanks Wayne
I am pushing hard for two at the moment. With a third not too far behind.

Thanks Johnny

Hows your truck doing?? Running Good ??

Take Care
Sean French :slight_smile:

Hi Sean, You square :o) … What are you using to brace the sides ?? You are maybe the only one that uses flat materials. I think you added some cross braces on an earlier one. I’ve been running tests on my new one. I’m using copper tubing for nozzles. It seems OK after 3 hopper fulls … It’s been so windy here that after shut down the core of my char gets cooked out. Next light up it takes an extra minute or two to rebuild a new char bed. I haven’t added the outer heat recovery shroud yet which will also close the nozzles off. I’m just putting 8 bolts in the nozzle holes right now. My lid isn’t sealing right either. I’ll add some springs to that next. It’s still friggin winter here … Ground is frozen down many feet right now. Was 12 degrees this morning. I ran a flare for a while today along the ground and melted the driveway down a couple of inches with it. Blow some of that warm Florida air this way and keep building. Thanks, Mike

It looks like you’ve been cranking them out Sean. You going to make it to Argos this year?

Marvin

Sean , The truck has been doing good .Getting some miles down .

Got it running!!!

0-60

Here are some short videos. Planning on more next week.Details to follow. Truck runs very strong and smooth.
If your interested in owning this truck or a truck like this contact me here. Or my e-mail is [email protected]
Direct Line 386-237-5023 Thanks Sean French

Edit I have received interest on this topic. Please use the contact info. to set up a viewing/demo date. Thank You