2 1/2; 5 1/2; 7.0; 10.5 &18 Horsepowers

Is that something that’s manufactured or home brewed Dave? Either way I’d like to see more. Hydraulic or gear driven?

2 Likes

Hi Tom , yes its a Honda HP power carrier i think the model is a HP250 its 2 forward gears and one reverse ,its a very old one now as i have owned it myself for 8 years and before that it was sat in a farmers hedge row for a number of years with worn out tracks before i was told about it by the local lawn mower / chainsaw shop one day when talking about a ride on mower that was converted to a miniature racecar he had in the showroom i said no good for me i need something that will carry fire wood up my steep hill when he told me about it sat there just needing new tracks i straight away said wow never heard of anything like that if you can get it to the yard i will buy it off you , true to his word a week later he drops it off at Brians yard and i part with the eye watering sum of 300 bucks what a deal that was , new tracks cost me 600 so all up 900 still a bargain , i lost count of the many offers i have had for it .
I would be so lost without it these days that when Aldi had a 4 wheel driven powered barrow on sale for 1200 plus 300 delivery i bought it as a spare ready for when the Honda gives up the ghost, damn things still taking up too much room in my shed 2 years later .

10 Likes

Haha, just looking around for a new tool. I am on my own when working outside, kids have different interest. Looking for a skidsteer 2 tons or something but decided it is not for me. It will plow everything and make a big mess. No experience but that is what I thing. And I am surprised you cant find them in the USA. I thought they were invented there. Overhere they still ask a lot of money for a small one.

4 Likes

Normally we call skid steers something you sit in, like the bobcat in your ads. I’ve never looked much but the only stand on machine I’ve ever noticed is this one.
https://www.northerntool.com/products/nortrac-25mtld-mini-compact-track-loader-25-hp-diesel-powered-2232503
A lot of money for something like that. I think the Euro is 7 per cent higher than the dollar right now so some of those prices in your ad are very good.

3 Likes

Veiling means auction…. Especially the small versons where you stand go crazy. Looking for a minishovel now The same story :frowning:. If it is over 3500 kg prices drop. Not trailerable behind a car.

4 Likes

TomH. and Dave here are a couple of videos of minimum standard units I am looking at as direct from China in-US available:

Listen to the gear box clunk. Low rear ground clearance.

Every similar but note the different steering brake style.

But here is the one I am setting my heart on so far: a HENGWANG brand available in the US supposedly thru Amazon. Their smallest HW-800 SL model.
You can see the specs on the Hengyang store on Amazon.
Short video here of their diesel engine version in this size/capabilities range:

Much.much better ground clearances. And watching the Motocarriola personalized-modified from weight work, I’m thinking I’ll need 200 pound me on back as counter weight.
Hengyang manufacturing seem to be a proud company willing to supply replacement parts.
Yeah . . . so long and the world wheels stay on.
Pre-Stock my own spares for sure.
Regards
Steve Unruh

Ha!
And then a Hyundai HYMD 500 video pops up:

Teasing me.

9 Likes

Hi Steve , i have looked at many video’s of these power movers over the years and never bothered to look at the ground clearance , due to the fact that the Honda powered mover i have has been around for over 20 years before all these Chinese ones came to market , and so i look to that as being the go to size .mine looks to have the same Clearance as the blue one in the video and will go over most ground types including steep inclines
The one you said you have your heart set on i would not use here due to my land being steep and uneven that one is very high off the ground and with a narrow track width and a full load so far off the ground it would be a tipping nightmare , on the few occasions mine has run over exposed roots on just one of the tracks one at a time or a deep rut in the ground i have been lucky to catch it from tipping over , but there is no way i would stand on a platform even though its only about 16 inches off the ground as i know for fact its damn hard to let go of the controls let alone step off as well at the same time .
BTW have you looked at the all electric ones as well ? they are cheaper the last time i looked a few years ago .
Dave

7 Likes

Groundclearance, the lack off, did me decide to stay away. A few turns in the mud and it is over. On the other hand you are right of course riding on a steep hill. Always a trade off.
And the machines Mr Steve showed dont lift. I think a missing option.

3 Likes

In Europe you have many more options in a much wider price range that I have available JoepK.
You can get a dumper box lifting machine. Get a front scoop loader bucket. Get an electric:

I can find here only three different machine systems for a true walk-behind, preferable a phone call available to me here in the U.S.
Walk-behind as my preference too for the hillside reasons Dave states. Rough steep ground; once one side would over-tip; or soft spot sinks-in; and it tips more than a fellow could muscle save it from going over; I want the option to just step back and away safe. Jumping off is bloody dangerous. Can get caught up in the machine be badly injured. Jump landing, trip and fall over debris; again injured.
Plus the longer a fellow stretches out standing and walking on your own two feet defing gravity, the longer you will Live-healthy.
S.U.

5 Likes

Hi, Steve!
Just popped into my mind, (and what @d100f said) use a flatbed low center-of-gravity dolly with big wheels, and a cable/rope winch at the top of the hill. You can move a very large load safely. A load of loose field stones almost dragged me off a steep embankment backwards when I found the brakes on a lawn tractor are no match for gravity and a heavy load. Respect. :face_with_head_bandage: :cowboy_hat_face: [I had to jack-knife wreck the tractor to stop it.]

6 Likes

Yes, or just a small wide tractor with trailer. Depends on how steep your area is.

4 Likes

In one of my fantasy sessions I have imagined building an Iller like Jan’s. Now I find the length of a day has shrunk down so much that that ship has probably sailed. If you are old you understand that I’m not just talking about the seasonal lack of daylight. Maybe one of these though. I probably have enough stuff from old snow plows, hydraulics and such, that I could swing it. I’ve never exactly understood how you steer things like this unless you have hydraulic motors driving the wheels. I"m sure one of you brainiacs could school me.

4 Likes

TomH,
Fundamentally all two tracked vehicles and equipments steer the same way.
Both side tracks are driven equally.
The one side steering lever, hand grip lever is actually slowing braking the side you wish to turn towards. The power drive axle differential the directing more power to the still driving side.

MikeR. cable drawn up is how almost all in-the-mountian log harvest moving is done. The cable drag tracks later caused much raining season erosion. So they evolved to High-Line system. Complex. Expensive. Really needs three men to operate with any safety.
Plus think back to the song lyrics:
“The rope broke” (wire stranded cable rope),
“The monkey got choked” (not an actually monkey - the worker whipped killed by the recoiling broken cable - TWO wicked ends - two looping catch-you coils!)
“And we all went to heaven in a little row boat.” Ha! Still puzzling the meaning of that line.

JoepK a small wide tractor will still need across the slope work roads made. 80 to 120 inches of annual raining here always causes erosions:

Nice, nice machine. Not available to me. Modify to match is my goal.
S.U.

5 Likes

Steve I don’t know if it’s in your price range but I can FIRMLY recommend this exact machine right down the road from you. The platform can be removed for walk behind operations. The land leveler he has will haul as much weight as you can stack on it. Bonus auxiliary hydraulics for any number of attachments store bought and homemade

Needs some repairs, super easy to work on pretty easy on fuel. I have been watching it for a while price keeps trickling down…

5 Likes

A Can-Hardly get it done:

Pretty sure this one is a front transmission track driving system.

JoepK. on my go-electric reluctance for this job worker I have many reasons.
I will be shifting over most all possible of my 4-stroked IC engined equipment to bottled propane. An indefinite safe to use storage time then.
I now have many bottles of different sizes acquired and collected.
My State as home of 3-5 deep water ship refineries we will have Liquified Petroleum Gas as long as possible.
Plus currently it is 30% cheaper after all taxes than pump gasoline and diesel fuels.
That making it equal in power usage to the higher energy density fuels.

Sets up for a quick/quicker jump to woodgas.
Steve Unruh

Another, getting it done:

6 Likes

OK, Steve. You are right again!
Perhaps there is no safe way. I was still speaking of wheelbarrow -sized loads.

Perhaps like this? (Yes, I know it is in Hindi, but the picture tells the story, don’t it?

4 Likes

No problem. Getting the job done is more important.

My neighbour has a Makita Wheelbarrow. A lot chreaper then the thing Marcus posted. Price is high because a lot of people want it. On the other hand, it would be sold. I see the same prices here.
Wheelbarrow doesnt take 500 kg of course but the thing amazed me. And just normal batt inside , cordless tools.

3 Likes

Here MikeR. here is an effective way to use your cable pulling-up:

This type of cable use you put a direction change pulley in-system to also direct energy away in case of a shit’s-happening NOW.
Operator is keeping the machine between him and the cable hazard. Duck-Down-Quickly!
And I still like this machine the best so far. Ground clearance. loaded weight better centered fore and aft.
Hey; last five seconds . . . it is credited a Honda Hydrostatic!
S.U.

7 Likes

I agree SteveU that propane is the smart stored fuel. Many times you will not want to get a gasifier up and running in order to do fifteen minutes worth of work. I have no prejudices. If it bangs a piston down then I’m a fan.

If I did get around to building one of those walk behind/stand on doodads I would use the Honda Civic engine/trans I have. I’m sure it’s not positraction. Many times I have been stuck in snow or mud with only one tire spinning with an open diff. I’m guessing you need some kind of locker but then braking one wheel would brake both of them. Wrong thinking?

6 Likes

TomH. on the commercial made tracked tote’ers ( barrows, tippers, carriers) I am not sure how they do their engine running, no forwards or reversed asked, brake-hold in-place.
Some of the YouTube shows fellows demonstrating this capability. Stopping then hands off. Hill-holding, not rolling.
There are at least four different transmission manufacturers apparent in the manual transmission ones.

I found the Honda brand one:

Shows imported and sold in the UK, Germany, Italy, the Czech Republic, Finland, and New Zealand. A few others pictured in other countries I do not readily know the two letter country codes for.
Hmm. Not finding at all in the US, Canada or Sweden.
Prices new in these places range from ~4,400 to 5,200 Euro’s.

I will try contacting one of the big Honda PowerSports combined in the nearest big cities to see if pre-payed they could piggyback one for me in their being made up Spring order.
For 6-8 months I can put off and wait. Only risk is the loss of the money gone poof! No-Longer-Valid. Here is a new one for you, “Cheaper than a car wreck.”
A maybe. Maybe not. It will not have the US EPA certification. The US Consumer Products Safety, testing and certification. You’d think current EU certifications would be good enough for emissions and safety.

Here’s hoping.
Steve Unruh

7 Likes