2004 jeep liberty charcoal build

So here goes; for years I had rules that I thought were un breakable

1. charcoal was for small engines
  2. wood gasifiers for vehicles were heavy so forget small vehicles
    3)forget obd 2 computers
    Then a series of people got me rethinking all of that
    Gary and his 2004 ranger, Don’s tracker rebuilt to charcoal, and Kristijan’s arosa…
    My 2004 jeep liberty is at the point where there is nothing to lose so I’m going to go for it. I will pull the seats, strip all the insulation and padding, build a firewall insulate the floor and build a unit within the next year… to start this tank followed me home from the scrap yard.
12 Likes

I like it already! ! !

4 Likes

I’m torn as to who to copy. I like yours and gary’s forge inspired nozzle but kristijan’s long thick one seems easier or maybe just a beefed up version of my own hole through the bottom with refractive. I’m thinking it all gets mounted on a beefy set of drawer slides for access, lighting flaring and cleaning…

2 Likes

Very cool… keep us in the loop

2 Likes

Hey Arvid, you going to the saw tech show in bancroft this year?

some people are getting inspired lately… Lovin it and looking forward to the outcome…
:+1:

2 Likes

I don’t have enough time and miles yet to recommend the forge style nozzle but there is another thing you have to consider and that is whether you are coming in from the side or the bottom. Kristijan’s thick tube with nozzle holes on top coming in from the side has a lot of merit because it keeps the whole box lower in the vehicle than coming up from the bottom. Koen’s Tuk Tuk horizontal nozzle with a vertical upward hook on the end also looks like a good way to go. We have a lot of collective experimentation going on right now and I am sure something good is going to shake out of all of this.

7 Likes

[quote=“k_vanlooken, post:6, topic:2549”]
some people are getting inspired lately
[/quote]I might have some secrets

Don took the words right out of my mouth.

1 Like

I have been waiting for nearly 2 weeks now for the “right” piece of steel to come into the scrap yard to try out kristijan’s style nozzle on my Gasifier , but as sods law is in charge nothing suitable has landed , of if it has its gone straight in the bin without human contact .

So being the impatient bugger I am ,I have decided to try out a stainless tube with a couple of 2mm wide by 20mm long slots along the top , I know its not as thick walled pipe as I would have liked , but still be interesting to see if it could hold together while waiting for the slag pile to build up on top of it .
I have a busy week ahead as the weather forecast is for cloud and rain all week starting from now , so I shall be running my engine everyday this week ,so that should give me a pretty good idea how well it will hold up and will let you know how I get on .
Dave

4 Likes

David what are the dimensions of the box? Looks like a lot of miles in that thing :grinning:

2 Likes

60cm by 45cm by 80 cm so roughly over 200 ltires. The jeep is thirsty though averaging about 11.5l per 100 km or a little better then 20mpg. I’m hoping for at least 40 miles or 65km per 1/3 third tank. We will see. It’s a 2004 so I might have to run in hybrid mode to keep the computer happy.

3 Likes

My box is 50 x 50 x 40(reduced to 25 on top-prism shape) or ~75 L so i think yours shuld give you the range you desire. Whats the engine displacement?

1 Like

Hi David

Beautiful project in perspective

Why 2004 offers the possibility of hybrid mode?

1 Like

Just guessing Thierry. The obd2 computer might insist on some gasoline to stay happy. Although gary seems to be doing well without the fuel pump… we’ll see. Still a long way from that.

2 Likes

Hey Kristijan, it has the 3.7l engine 6 cylinder standard transmission. It’s overpowered for what I need most of the time but I carry a lot of tools with me and often pull junk trailers. Most roads around here are only safe at 80km anyways.

2 Likes

Sorry my friend, not this year… with any luck I will next year though…

1 Like

Hi David.
Just curious how far you got with this project?

About as far as… nowhere

1 Like

An overpowered engine seems perfect for a gasified engine. I do wonder though, are you planning to place the gasifier inside the passenger area? If so, what safety measures will you be taking to insure no CO is trapped inside?

2 Likes

Hi, Cory!
Most incidents start with stupidity!

1 Like