2014 Arkansas Woodgas Meetup | Marshall, AR | Oct 4

Hi Bill…had some bad luck yesterday after work (Thursday), wanting to hurry and get ready to leave today and things just worked against me. When leaving work my starter on the Dakota started acting up, so I bought a new one on the way home. While pulling in my shop I heard a popping sound in the right front of truck. Sounded like a wheel bearing and seemed to do it when applying the brakes. Pulled wheel and bearing looked fine. Took the starter off and put on new, while tightening the bolts on it I happened to look up at the frame on the right side and found the frame broke Could actually see a shiny spot where it was working up and down causing the popping sound. Welded it up and plated over that and then welded the plate. Should have taken it over to my sons (my old place) where the lift is at. Would have saved a lot of up time and effort. Found out the distance to Marshall that I came up with must of been the way the crow flies and is actually 100 more miles (300 one way) so I’m going to have to go and load more wood here in a few minutes (7 a.m. Friday morning). I’ve been told you can never have to much wood…LOL. Looking forward to seeing you guys there.

Gary

1 Like

Can’t keep a good man down :slight_smile:

Hey Al… look what I’m bringing to Arkansas with me. I found a couple of these short 18 inch hot water tanks some time back and stripped one down for you. They are the perfect size , so anybody looking for 18 inch hot water tanks don’t over look these shorties.

Gary

Good morning Wayne…I got me a couple new SD cards and got the camera packed. Wish you could be there, but will try to take enough pics and vids where you will feel like you was there.

Gary

Ouch on the cracked frame … Dakotas were famous here for popping ball joints out … Not too many left here … M

Getting oil changed and ready to head out 10:30 Friday morning.

Gary,

Better watch those speed bumps, or you’ll be without one spare tire :slight_smile:

Have a great time, and remember - lots of pictures and video.

AT in TX

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen a spare hung on a cooling rack. My spare leans up against mine and is wired to it … I can’t post pictures anymore anywhere since we started bombing Syria … CUL, Mike LaRosa … Enjoy the get together …

Carl popped in for a minute in the Hangout, he may be back… teasing us with live footage from the fly-in. Thanks for the peek Carl!

Mike…wish you and Chris was here with us. Looks like tomorrow will be full of entertainment… Trailer set up in the hanger for the band. Powerchutes, and gyro copters all over the place.

Gary

Patiently waiting for someone to spill the beans on Richards new power plant. Wishing I was there to see for myself.

Made it home safely. BBB
Thanks Richard.
Greg H

Spilling the beans. Richards 400 cube S.B.C. (Super nice job).

Gary

More pics.

and more

Excellent pics… Wish I coulda been there.
TerryL

I had a great time talking to all of you and seeing all of your creations.
I looked up all members in Arkansas on this site and saw there are quite a few; I just wonder how many more would have attended if they had known about this event.
May I respectfully suggest something flashy on the home page announcing a schedule of all events and/or a link to the events category in the forums? I think it would draw a lot of people both members and non-members alike and perhaps encourage new members to join :slight_smile:

I’m not a good photographer, so thanks to all the others who can fill in the gaps. We had a great time, and a lot of interest in our trucks.

Good job Carl…

Gary

Hey Carl…Question for you. I never added any petro to and from Marshall pulling those long hills. The temps you see in the video are just about where they ran most of the way. They would drop going down the long hills and climb to around 1100 up the long pulls. Would run around 950 on the flat running around 70. You can feel when it no longer helps to push any harder on the gas pedal. It seems like there is a point it is doing all it can do no matter how much vacuum you pull on the hopper. It seems like the cross over temp maxes out around 1100 degrees no matter how long I pull on the unit, or how much I push on the gas after it reaches the point that it really don’t help to push any harder. My question is this…I am running the 6 inch choke and I’m thinking that with the 6 inch choke it is probably producing the max amount of gas it can possibly make and limits the power at increased RPM range. However is it also limiting the temperature of the discharge to around the 1100 range which is where it seems to max out at? I’m almost to think I can’t over pull the unit with the 6 inch choke as long and hard as I was pulling it up those long hills one right after the other… Never seemed to loose power at the top like it had burned to deep in the char and was always ready to start the climb up the next. Would a 7 inch or larger choke have given me more power up the long hauls up hill, but also would it have let the temps continue to rise to a point it would not be safe on the unit.? I’m thinking with my driving habits I may be better off with the 6 inch choke for that reason. And with the good dry wood I was plenty happy with the power pulling those many Arkansas and Missouri hills…LOL It is absolutely amazing the difference of nice dry wood can make on performance of the unit. Thanks again to Carl and Richard for bringing me enough wood to make it home.

Link to video http://youtu.be/qnF5I456-o4