2019 Argos Reports and Pictures

I made it home at 9PM tonight. I will load up a video when I get a chance.
It was nice to see some faces of years prior and new faces this year. I am very gratefull for the trouble Kristijan and JO had to go through so we could meet them in person.
I was very happy to see some young future wood gasser that spent the whole weekend with us.

9 Likes

MikeR - Thanks for the videos. I am very grateful to have been able to attend this year. I didn’t get to chat with everyone, but those I did talk with were kind, helpful, humble, and encouraging. We really do have a great community. I have gotten plenty of ideas for my next gasification project. Thanks to Wayne for taking me and my son on our first (and hopefully NOT last) ride in a woodgas vehicle.

-Bryan

8 Likes

Hello all.

The wife and I made it home safe .

1600 miles and enjoyed every one of them.

More later , off to bed I go.

15 Likes

Here is some Argos flares;

15 Likes

Good morning all.

I know if I start calling names to thank for the event I will overlook several but I have got to call out the ladies of the event , the Lemler family and Mike R. A special thanks for their effort .

I am making a dash to the hay fields to take advantage of a small window of opportunity cutting , drying and rolling hay . Will be back with pictures and videos just as soon as I can .

Thanks Wayne

9 Likes

Hello all.

I have decided the hay cutting widow is too small for me to try cutting hay, so that will give me the day to try and comprehend the great Argos event . Not sure I have the writing skills to express the joy the wife and I had and all the thanks we owe everyone that made it happen .

I think we may have made history on a couple of categorys .

Until I am proven wrong I say Jakob North is the first 15 YO that has built and Practically driven from the Gulf Of mexico to the Great Lakes and back on wood .:grinning:

Second , After I did the math on my truck odometer I realized I gave 330 miles of wood gas rides at the event . I am only one of 8-10 vehicles that was doing the same . I ask, can it be possible we as a grope put down a couple of thousand woodgas miles at the event . If so it has got to be some type of record for North America :grinning:

Lemons please !!

17 Likes

JO and Kristijan enjoying a southern country breakfast . Grits , tomater gravy , biscuits , water melon and a dead animal ( pig I think )
IMG_0839

At Monteagle Tn. Kristijan just by chance met a second generation Slovenian

IMG_0840

Seymour Indiana

IMG_0845

The night before Argos

IMG_0846

JO riding with Jakob , somewhere in Indiana

IMG_0849

Eating very well at Argos

IMG_0853

IMG_0854

Mr Tom approving Kevin’s truck

IMG_0855

14 Likes

IMG_0856IMG_0857IMG_0860IMG_0864IMG_0867IMG_0868

11 Likes

Tyler’s bike

IMG_0869

Corey Hunt

IMG_0871

14 Likes

Made it back home after another 24 hours of traveling.
I just talked to Kristijan. He was still waiting (a 10h wait) in Paris for his last flight - with a beer to keep himself awake :smile:
Here’s a pic of Jacob on our way to Argos. Looks like he’s enjoying it :smile:

14 Likes

Deleted by the author

13 Likes

To and from Argos

5 Likes
8 Likes

Arogos Pics

DSCN9911DSCN9907DSCN9908DSCN9906DSCN9909DSCN9904DSCN9905DSCN9903DSCN9910DSCN9902

8 Likes

I snapped this picture as Jakob crested Monteagle in Tennessee on wood. Long, long hot ride up. We had to wait for them at the top. DSCN9914

8 Likes

But then it was just taillights from then on out. Actually they disappeared from sight as we made our way down the Chatanooga side of the mountain. DSCN9917DSCN9915

This may be where the crack int he bottom of the gasifier came from. The barrel split under the grate allowing some air in under the char bed. For the next hundred miles the temps were high and power reduced as gas burned in the crossover and heat exchanger. Jakob tried to seal it with rtv, but with little success. We considered a stop at Wayne’s place to use a welder, but that would have added 40 miles to a very long trip. We did have to stop in Gadsden, AL, about 1.5 hours from home for an hour’s worth of sleep. It seems the rtv and ash, possibly aided by the cooling of the gasifier, sealed it by itself, and we were able to make it home without further repair.

12 Likes

Here are some pictures of trucks flaring! Got some good shots. Kevin and Wayne’s trucks seem to be very consistent in flames.

14 Likes

A very weary Jakob upon arrival home in ALabama at 4 AM after 19 hours on the road. Even considering stops and repairs that made the trip long. He apparently ran completely out of lemons because he was nothing but smiles.
DSCN9921

And there’s Momma keeping everything legal by riding along.
DSCN9925!
(/uploads/default/original/3X/a/2/a2e602e4c86600ca19c435083ee679b3cdd84176.JPG)DSCN9922DSCN9923DSCN9924

Total distance: 1540 miles
Total gasoline: 12.25 gallons
Total wood (figured by avg bag weight): 1385 lbs.
Dv/hopper (AL 90/10 pine/hdwd mix): 37 miles/hopper
Dv/hopper (IN oak): 54 miles/hopper

We are very proud of Jakob for his commitment to accomplishing his goal of building and driving his truck to Argos. He worked very hard this past year to accomplish that goal, often waking at 3 or 4 in the morning to finish his school work before breakfast in order to have time to work on the truck. It took Jakob 328 man-hours over the course of about 7 months to do the build. He drilled every hole and welded every bead.

We are very grateful to Wayne, Don, Bob, Bruce, Kristijan, Mike, Tom… and the entire DOW community for your open hearts and willingness to help him with his project with advice and encouragement.

25 Likes

Thanks Tyler .

I believe those are the best flare pics I have seen .

7 Likes

Nice work on Jackob dakota, Good trades too know how too weld , Wrench, torch and build a machine this in depth. cheers too your family and DOW.

10 Likes