2024 Kentucky Woodgas Meetup

Just got done with a meeting with the fairgrounds manager. she thinks the 4-h camp location would be perfect. ill goin g to post some pics first then do a breakdown the the accommodations and pricing. she seems exited with idea as well.

2 Likes

10 Likes

So of course to start out with, they have no problem with the wood gas noises smells condensation etc. They almost seem to laugh at me that I would be worried about that because it would be no problem.

There are 80 or more campsites, each one with water and electricity. I posted a picture of one of the campsites above. The campsites surround the main event area in a sort of semicircle, so they are pretty close to the main event area and the shower/kitchen area

And of course with that in mind, the community building has bathrooms and showers as well as air conditioning, refrigerator, and kitchen area.

Far more than ample parking space even when not considering the 80 campsite parking spaces, they have a fair sized parking lot surrounding the event areas and community center

It’s only 5 mi from the main highway so it is less than 10 mi away from the hotel, local grocery stores, parts stores, and restaurants. If larger parts stores are required, there is a Lowe’s roughly 25 miles north. However we do have a lumber store and a couple of hardware stores locally that should have most anything you would need

The event area serves very well for a covered dining area and has electric, as well as an newly installed internet router setup to provide internet and service for the entire area

I’m waiting for a call back for the pricing, but it looks like it will fit very comfortably within the budget. I will have a more detailed explanation shortly. I want to make 100% sure of the exact pricing options before just throwing numbers out, but it looks like theyll be able to check all the boxes comfortably

5 Likes

Sandhill 4H Camp area:

1 Like

yup, everything in the red would be considered the area the group would be with the two main buildings

4 Likes

the other facility is available too of course, but i assumed we would want everyone pretty close by in one area instead of across the road.

3 Likes

Thomas,
Looks like a Beauty-Full place. A breath of fresh air. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Okay so here’s the rough pricing so far. She says that the two buildings in the picture are $50 a day a piece. Coming out to $100 a day to have the community building and the big event building.

The camping sites were $15 a night if you have tent, or $20 a night if you have an RV / camper. but the fairgrounds manager says there could potentially be a group bundle pricing depending on further details, but this was the basic rates they normally have.

She wanted me to ask if the group had event insurance. That that would be the only concern that they had. I’m making some calls right now to see if I can find some quotes for it, but I didn’t know if the group already had some setup

with the group going home on Sunday, i dont think they are counting that as a full day for pricing purposes. or at least thats the impression that the development director had given when i described how the latest event was scheduled. but it seems like it will come in well under budget, even with insurance included.

2 Likes

Im going to be looking into getting the local businesses involved if i can, as well as having the local schools get into it. i had already planned on making a few displays to take to the local schools to do some education outreach and the fairgrounds manager informed me that its very common for the school to get involved in events like this and have flyers printed out and have the kids take the flyers home with them to give to their parents. the local news also seems to be well on board with advertising and coverage.

there’s more people i need to get into contact with and see if i can get more involvement, but from the people i talked to today it seems to have been VERY well received and everyone seems exited about it.

5 Likes

Thomas, that looks like a wonderful facility.

4 Likes

Ditto plus 20 characters

3 Likes

Definatly going to need the 97 breathing woodgas by next year, thats another 400 miles😊

All good though… im so close i can tast!!

4 Likes

This looks really nice!!

3 Likes

Sounds like a nice place. I think it will be cool to have the school involved, get some curiouse youngins interested.

4 Likes

Wow, talk about fast responses on the next Woodgas meet up next year 2024. Thank you Thomas Foster. When my sweetheart Dana heard where the next event might be she said she has family in Tennessee and that she wants to go and visit them too. If Dana wants to go to Tennessee we can plan it at the time of the woodgas meet up in Kentucky.
2,395 mi from my house. Then go down and visit Dana’s family. We are so close to Wayne and Lisa place we can stop there. Oh and the North’s place is close by too.
It is only 335 miles longer than Argos IN. A 5 day trip driving the motor home the way I drive.
Something to look forward to.

13 Likes

I’m curious about this too. @Ron_L what have we been using at Argos?

I remember for the very first one it was decided to require RSVPs so we could call it a private event, which helped the insurance rates. So Thomas if you’re calling around and they ask you public vs private event, get rates both ways.

2 Likes

Chris and @TheIrishEngineer and @Ron_L
I was going to address this as a private message, but you all are moving too quickly for me to keep up. One of the main reasons we have called this a “family reunion” and RSVP required is because insurance.
**This is not a carnival, public invited, Paid for Advertised, taking money for entrance, selling food, Serving alcoholic beverages. I repeat: NOT!! :face_with_head_bandage:
Because this is a “family” event, a “certificate of liability insurance” of a sufficient amount covers us for the four day event. Ron L. used a rider on his business policy, and I was able to raise my homeowner insurance to a large enough amount to satisfy the Marshall County Fair Association requirements. That is how its done. :innocent:
Find out the requirements, ask Your insurance agent how to fulfill that requirement, in your locality, where the event is located, about how many people, and for how long.
If you go the paid-ticket, public-advertised route, the rates become insane, and the rules change! :cowboy_hat_face:

Paying expenses is strictly by free will donation, food as well. :grin:

8 Likes

sorry if we were going a bit fast bud. but thats fine, if you wanna shoot a message to private or call/text my cell about finer details, ill be able to get ahold of the judge executive, development director, ect, ect. thankfully, i made sure to present it as a “this is a year from now, so there is a lot to get straightened out in terms of details” context. so it shouldnt be a problem.

2 Likes

Thomas,
If the event is not held at Argos, or anywhere, Indiana, I am not the “host” family. A new one must be found. Sorry to be blunt.

2 Likes

i understand. id rather discuss some of this via phone if thats ok though. im sure that the hurdles can be gone over but some of that discussion doesnt feel appropriate for public forum.

2 Likes