'92 V6 Dodge Dakota question

I will add both my cents to this discussion.
Wayne has stated above the reasons why the v6 dakotas won’t work with “advancing” the distributor. The distributor on the dodge magnum motors (92 onward) does not affect timing but electrical pulse of the injectors via the camshaft sensor (located in the distributor). The dodge Manuel specifically states timing cannot be changed by manipulation of the distributor. I think it was by blind luck alone that when the distributor turned by one peg it advances the timing 45 degrees which just so happens to help produce more power from woodgas. There is no graduation (only binary) of timing advance with turning the distributor i.e 0 degrees or 45 degrees with v8 or 60 degree with v6 ( which has shown to be incompatible with running an engine).

On the chevy/GMC trucks that Tom C talks about the rotation of the distributor directly affects the spark advance of the SBC engine. There is a bypass wire that can be unhooked and the distributor turned to set the extent of advance or retard the engine is to run (on 88- 95 chevys). This Is true up to 95 chevys (and maybe beyond) however I have no experience with post 95 chevys, hence the difference in opinion in v6 runnabliity comparing the dodges to the chevy’s

I would caution comparing the 4.3l v6 SBC to the V6 dodge magnum. Different can of worms. Personally If I was purchasing a truck to specifically gasify I’d wait for the right vehicle. Nothing worse then putting all that work in and then having buyers remorse… I converted a v6 4.3l sbc as my first project because it was what I had on hand. Wouldn’t be bothered again, v6 chevy’s will run but like Tom said earlier they won’t be winning any races.

good luck with your decision.

6 Likes

Glad you posted the facts about the timeing, not all of us gearheads are that good at researching.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Dustin Moore!

“Of course one horse will run faster that all others. But which one on that particular day? Differences are critical to know.” Lazarus Long

Why folks always falling into failures-soup thinking that if they conquer one particular OBDII application they will then have the keys to all OBDII applications. Ain’t the way it works at all.
Knowing, mastering English gives you just a slight leg up on a few other languages. NO help - in fact an impediment, on others.

Best Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

ITS all good knollege on the v6 dodges, They can be used,but they loose the timeing advantage , may be a little short on power for useing over drive or pulling trailers,unless you want too add a little gasoline hybriding,thats what i plan on doing with my 4 cylinder s10 for faster take off speed,then when i am out of wood i still get 24 MPG, VS 12 with carberated 4.3 v6 chevy that i could put in my s10.

1 Like

Mr. Patrick; I would like to just go back and review your situation. You have built and are familiar with the GEK. Ok Now you want " a wood- burning truck to haul our gear to demonstrations". If you follow the DOW to a tee, you will have a very good product. But sometimes we do what we have to do. I think a Dakota with a V6 will give you a usable highway vehicle. I say this because my slightly larger V6 is pulling a full size truck and the Dakota is a much lighter vehicle. Most all of the DOW guys have hooked up an electric variable valve so that when they come to a hill or want to pass they feed in a little petro. The V6 could do the same things only maybe a little more often, depending on the drivers preference. For me, yes I can and do advanced my timing, but it does not give me any measurable difference in speed — just smoothes out the idle. You have experience with the GEK. I haven’t followed them for years but I do seem to remember them running a GM V6 in one of their products. You may want to consider a GEK for your build. There is nothing wrong with combining some GEK designs with DOW designs. GEK gasifier and cyclone with a DOW heat exchanger cooling rails and filter.
I am not trying to under cut the DOW design, it is probably the best. I’m just saying we have options depending on our situation and asperationsTomC