95 dakota gasifier construction almost complete

You still need an on/off switch in line so you can have the rheostat set for a dribble for hybrid driving and just click it on as you approach a hill

Also it ensures thins are truly OFF

2 Likes

Yes Michael and Arron, I think it is the easiest way to hybrid drive, just turn the switch on and open the air valve. Close the air valve and turn the switch off and you are back to driving on wood . Some people adjust their timing.
Of course you have to set up your fuel pump dribble before you leave the drive way. If you for get the truckā€™s computer has to adjust the fuel pump, it seems to take longer.
I have thought about putting in a three position switch : position 1 ON (pump on) pump controller not in the circuit for dino driving / Position 2 ON (pump controller dribble setting pump on) for hybrid driving / position 3 OFF (pump off) for DOW only.
Just one more of the many things I would do different on my 92 Dakota.
Will the list ever end? Probably not.
Bob

2 Likes

Bob this is great advice. Let the computer figure out the petro while driving hybrid.

2 Likes

I am really happy this forum exists!

I will try to add a little dribble of dino in a third state to assist the ODB1. On /dribble/off seems good if I cant get a good fuel mix and let the computer handle the mixing.

ALL FORUM FOLKSā€¦

Gasket question:

I put TONS of red RTV (650 f) on gasifier housing, spacer ring, and hopper and lids and sandwhiched it all together with thick axle grease on the rounded barrel side of each joint. Now sadly I dont think the RTV will dry in less than a week ā€¦or everā€¦! Can you recommend a dry time post(s) about gaskets. Iā€™ve looked and it looks like i found some posts about a glass mat and drying RTV BEFORE installing is necessay. This is not covered in the book and now I believe I will have to pull it apart for a third time. Before taking ut apart thoā€¦ I believe I am going to get the whole stack up to about 200 degreea a couple times a day with charcoal in a basket lowered into the air intake areaā€¦i can yank the fire out if it gets too hot and tthreatens to boil /burn the acetone that is off gassing out of the RTV. I would love ant suggestions.

Super grateful for this forum!

Aaron

I had to dismantle my unit a year or more after assembly, and was surprised that some of the rtv was still not dry. It didnā€™t keep it from working though.

1 Like

Hello Aaron

I canā€™t remember giving my RTV any drying time ( but just because I donā€™t remember doesnā€™t mean that I didnā€™t ) :smile:

Aaron,
Iā€™m pretty darned new to all this stuff, but recently made a simple fire with a 5 gallon metal bucket and sealed the lid with red RTV and let it sit overnight before putting it on the bucket and although I only had a fire in it for a few minutes, the following morning the lid came right off the bucket leaving the seal in the lid. My outlet pipe is on the lid and was more than just warm to the touch while it was lit if that matters.

1 Like

Andrew Wayne and Allen thanks for your input on this. I put the RTV on wet and hoping now when I fire it up it wonā€™t melt out or catch fire causing seal brakes. I will heat it slowly and hope for the best.

2 Likes

We all wish you best. Allso beweare of high vacuum that might damage wet rtv.

1 Like

Hi Aaron, I just let my red RTV sealant cure for a couple of days after putting it together, and then fired the gasifier up. Heat will help it cure into a harder sealent. I had to build up my char bed some so I did not put any driving time on, with any high vacuum on the gasifier system, just did some flaring with the blowers to check my gas qualities. I shut it down and let it cool down after the first day. Second day it was ready to go as far as the sealant was concerned.
Bob

1 Like

Hi Aaron, is there any up date on your 95 Dakota gasifier?
Bob

1 Like

Aaron and Rae came to visit on Sunday! They are on a roadtrip doing a documentary on intentional communities, and they drove their woodgas truck (although on gasoline).

Apparently they got the truck all built and ready to fire up, but got stuck on the operation of it, and because the gauges they had bought read in inches of mercury instead of water, they thought there must be a huge vacuum leak somewhere.

We spent about an hour looking over the truck, fixed a loose connection, and fired it up on woodgas. Truck ran and drove just fine! It needs an idle string and some new vacuum gauges.

Best of luck on the rest of your trip guys!

17 Likes

Way to go Chris!
Just what this group needs, some young enthusiastic wood gassers
I sure hope that they post some more about their adventures

9 Likes

Good too see another wood gas beginner, the learning begins, enjoy your jurnny they are hard too come by these days, be sure and keep the insulation in the ammo can before shutting the ash door, it will work ok with out untill you run intoo an extended bridge condition, then your ammo can seal will be burned out and truck be stalling. Keep yes keep us posted when time exist.

2 Likes

We are grateful to Chris for the last part of our buildā€¦knowing how to operate the beast! Thank you sir!
It was very generous of you to accommodate our last minute visit to your home.

We basically sprinted on the build for about 2 months solid last fall and then work and travel issues kept us too busy to spend the time finishing it.

1 Like

We do plan on keeping insulation in the ammo can clean out. I have seen images of too many crushed onesā€¦

2 Likes

And yes i forgot the 2Ɨ4 or spacor too keep the can from colapsing, it distorted mine when it went.Enjoy the learning and teaching experiace, Good thing too see how well it works. And knowing how too make it happed properly and safe as it is.My next ammo can lid may get the spacor attatched so i dont have too spend as much time fidleing under the ash pan area or looking for the spacor i lost.

2 Likes

Hi Aaron, any up dates on your gasifier truck?
Bob