96 Dakota

Ouch! The Dakota looks critical!

Looks good, when is your design book going to be printed so we can have a copy?

Woops
Is there an engine around here somewhere I know it didn’t just grow legs and run away. Not to worry top running Dakotas go for about 4000-5000 dollars on my side of the pond. I have under 2000 in this one. Good body check frame check a/c double check 1500 right there for a new one 4 tires check seats check Good gasifier check. Time for a motor build its not summer time yet.

Hi Sean. Glad all is going well down south. Can you tell more about that saw? Watched the video but couldn’t see real well. Looks like a table saw modified so the blade raises and lowers with a lever. Is that about right? Sure made quick work of the 2 x’s. Thanks.

Hi John,
Yes I know I am falling behind on posts a bit. I took the assembly that raises and lowers the blade out of the saw so the motor would move freely. Next found my trusty mig welder and welded a handle to the motor bracket. To allow for ease of sliding 2x4 s through I covered the table top with plywood and made a bracket from 2x4 to hold the wood while cutting. The saw was in the neighbors garbage and it took maybe a hour to modify it. As Carl said the stock motor is a bit small but very workable when it dies I have a 5hp induction motor to take its place. I will try to put up some pics. tomorrow evening.

A simple wood cutting thing a m bob for under 20 bucks (results may vary). Carl does this have a name?? Clever Saw maybe
Anyways I modified it further to accept 2x4 and 2x6 stock. A little oil on the blade helps keep it clean of debris.

It’s known as a “pop-up saw”. Usually air operated. Is that a 12" blade?

That looks like it couldn’t be simpler. Wonder how it would work with 3" diameter limbs. All of my wood is unmilled. Thanks Sean and Carl.

Hi Guys,
That would be a 10" blade. I may try some limbs on it. I was thinking if I could swap out the 2x4 braces for a piece of 4" pipe it might just work.

Sean,
I like your idea on the saw. What would you think about installing a strong to pull the saw blade up and add a pedal so you could operate it with your foot?

Hi Darren, Thanks Much
I see no reason why that wouldn’t work in fact I may upgrade it more later down the line. Multiple blades on one common shaft keep bouncing in my head

Wow Sean, I didnt know you are in a motor change or rebuild. Was the engine just getting old or did you find out what went wrong with it. You sure are a busy boy, I get tired just thinking about what you get done…lol

Im old though, I get tired thinking about being tired…smile

Hey Sean good luck and hope that engine job works out for you.

Neil

Good Morning Neil, LOL
Yep I pulled the motor down factory original just getting wore out. Managed to save the crank and block for now. Checking the heads today. Took me 6 hours to disassemble the engine very nice to work on simple. Gas of coarse is at an all time high over here on my side of the pond. Oh well I did enough driving last year I guess to can afford a little now.

Wow time does fly!!!
I’m thinkin Monday will be break in day. Still have a bit more to do.

Sure looks good Sean. I guess you may be the first inhabitant to run wood gas on a new motor. That will be a special treat. I’m envious!

Hi SeanF.
This looks to be a 360 5.9L crate motor, eh?
Which horsepower version did you settle on then?
Regards
Steve Unruh

Hey Sean ,

Looks like you got it going on!!!

Hi Carl,
Your right this will be a special treat!!! Very Excited Will try to get it on video.

Hi Wayne,
Thanks!!! A few more days and we will see if I can turn a wrench in the right direction.

Hi Steve,
Believe it or not this is the same 318 that came out of the truck. Just cleaned up new paint and new parts. The block,heads,crank and rods are the same. Last pic
is all the old parts that came out.
Sean

Sean, I saw these pics the other day. Beautiful!! (I have no idea why, but this morning I am able to log on for the first time in a couple of weeks it seems.)
Putting all that shiney time and money into a woodgasser surely demonstrates a superior level of madness. You guys really make a powerful team.
John

Hi John,
Thank You for the kind words!!!
Had the engine running for a bit today. We will keep ya posted.
Sean